• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

National Brass Ensemble Concert in Chicago September 20th

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: National Brass Ensemble Concert in Chicago September 20th Reply with quote

The National Brass Ensemble will be performing a concert in Chicago at Orchestra Hall on Sunday afternoon, September 20th at 3:00PM.

The concert program will include twelve works by Giovanni Gabrieli (arranged by Tim Higgins- Principal Trombone, San Francisco Symphony) along with "Music for Brass" by John Williams written for the group's performance and recording last June in Sonoma, California. In addition to this, we will be performing new Higgins arrangements of Verdi's "Overture to La Forza del Destino" and "Nabucco Overture."

The list of players involved, at this point, include all performers from the National Brass Ensemble concert and recording project last June:

Trumpets
David Bilger (Principal Trumpet, Philadelphia Orchestra)
Jeff Curnow (Associate Principal Trumpet, Philadelphia Orchestra)
Tom Hooten (Principal Trumpet, Los Angeles, Philharmonic)
Mark Inouye (Principal Trumpet, San Francisco Symphony)
Adam Luftman (Principal Trumpet, San Francisco Opera and Ballet Orchestras)
Chris Martin (Principal Trumpet, Chicago Symphony)
Mike Martin (3rd/Utility Trumpet, Boston Symphony)
Tom Rolfs (Principal Trumpet, Boston Symphony)
Michael Sachs (Principal Trumpet, Cleveland Orchestra)

Horns
Richard King (Principal Horn, Cleveland Orchestra)
Jennifer Montone (Principal Horn, Philadelphia Orchestra)
Jamie Sommerville (Principal Horn, Boston Symphony)
Robert Ward (Principal Horn, San Francisco Symphony)
Gail Williams (Former Assoc. Principal Horn, Chicago Symphony/Prof. Northwestern University)

Trombones
Joe Alessi (Principal Trombone, New York Philharmonic)
Nitzan Haroz (Principal Trombone, Los Angeles Philharmonic)
Tim Higgins (Principal Trombone, San Francisco Symphony)
Massimo La Rosa (Principal Trombone, Cleveland Orchestra)
Michael Mulcahy (2nd Trombone, Chicago Symphony)

Bass Trombones
Randy Hawes (Bass Trombone, Detroit Symphony)
Jim Markey (Bass Trombone, Boston Symphony)

Tubas
Gene Pokorny (Principal Tuba, Chicago Symphony)
Mike Roylance (Principal Tuba, Boston Symphony)
Yasuhito Sugiyama (Principal Tuba, Cleveland Orchestra)

Timpani/Percussion
Marc Damoulakis (Principal Percussion, Cleveland Orchestra)
Vadim Karpinos (Assistant Principal Timpani, Chicago Symphony)
Paul Yancich (Principal Timpani, Cleveland Orchestra)

This concert will coincide with the release of our CD "GABRIELI" which will include sixteen new Tim Higgins arrangements of works by Giovanni Gabrieli and the fore-mentioned new work by John Williams. While the official CD release will not be until early October, this CD will be offered in a special “pre sale” at the concert venue only that day.

Tickets can be purchased starting today (June 5th) at the Symphony Center Presents series on the Chicago Symphony Website:

http://cso.org/TicketsAndEvents/EventDetails.aspx?eid=7391

We hope to see many of you there in what should be a fun afternoon of music!!
retreadnto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! I am definitely going to try and make that show. Is this group planning on doing annual concerts? I thought it was a once in a lifetime thing.

Also, any news on the recording from last year?

Thanks
GR 65M/MS/MX
mstrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This concert will coincide with the release of our CD "GABRIELI" which will include sixteen new Tim Higgins arrangements of works by Giovanni Gabrieli and the fore-mentioned new work by John Williams. While the official CD release will not be until early October, this CD will be offered in a special “pre sale” at the concert venue only that day.

We got extremely lucky that we found this one date in September that all of us could do. As far as the future....we'll see. With the Rubik's Cube of schedules involved it's very unlikely that we can do this often or regularly, but it's something that we would like to try to do when possible if the circumstances are right.
Adam West
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want another National Brass Symposium! I loved the concert in Sonoma.
retreadnto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies mstrpt, I didn't realize the CD release you mentioned was the recording from Sonoma. I thought it was a separate studio thing. Probably my wishful thinking that you guys would crank out two separate recordings! Was there also a DVD/Bluray in the works from Sonoma?

I am sure with the names on the list, a rubik's cube of schedules is an understatement. I bet some are turning down other things to make this happen. We appreciate it!

Thanks again.
GR 65M/MS/MX
mstrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A video component of this project is definitely in the works. Some work is being done on that already but no timeline on a release date for the DVD yet.

Just listened to the final mastered SACD Surround Sound version of the CD yesterday- Paul Eachus (Producer) and Michael Bishop (Recording, Mix, and Mastering Sound Engineer) did a phenomenal job on this and it sounds tremendous!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let us know when that is available for purchase.
mstrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update some information-

The link for tickets on the Chicago Symphony website has been changed. The new link is:

http://cso.org/ticketsandevents/Production-Details/scp-specials/national-brass/

Additionally, I am delighted to mention that maestro Riccardo Muti, Music Director of the Chicago Symphony, has graciously agreed to make a guest appearance and conduct two works on this program- new Tim Higgins arrangements of Verdi's "Overture to La Forza del Destino" and "Nabucco Overture."

This is a truly unique opportunity to see this many of this country's top brass players all in one place at one time (including the six principal trumpets from Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and San Francisco).

We hope to see many of you there in what should be a fun and special afternoon of music!!
ykjones

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about having a awesome wife. She got me a plane ticket along with a ticket for this concert as a anniversary present. Can't wait for the concert!
Yamaha YCR 8335 Neo Cornet
Shilke P5-4
Shilke E3L
SalsaPerico

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Historic! Reply with quote

Congratulations to anyone able to make it to the Chicago concert. I was at the Sonoma performance and thinking about it still gives me chills. No question, it was the most amazing concert I have ever witnessed in my life. Good to hear the CD is almost ready to be released.
mstrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A link to a nice article on this concert:

http://csosoundsandstories.org/national-brass-ensemble-blows-gabrielis-horn-for-homage-to-iconic-album/
peachus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Pre-order the National Brass SACD here! Reply with quote

Official SACD release date is October 9, 2015. You will be able to purchase the recording if you are attending the concert in Chicago on September 20, 2015 at Orchestra Hall. This is a hybrid multi-channel 5.0 SACD recording that is playable on any CD player. (stereo layer)

Pre-order here:

http://www.amazon.com/Gabrielli-National-Brass-Ensemble/dp/B014E1TMHC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441245390&sr=8-1&keywords=national+brass+ensemble&pebp=1441245392193&perid=0KRZ7NKZWHYPD9H1MYHQ
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most sincere thanks to the musicians who participated in today's concert and to all of the other folks who worked hard to make the concert a reality. It is hard to adequately describe my reaction to that much brass horsepower in one place at one time. It is pretty amazing what a bunch of very talented folks can accomplish when they get together!

Plenty of great music and a couple of pretty entertaining moments. I am dumbfounded the trumpets did not bust a gut watching maestro Muti conduct the second Verdi overture. Happy birthday to Joe Alessi was also good for a chuckle.

I'd encourage folks to pick up a copy of the CD.

Barney
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLUS, I can now say I know what a post horn is supposed to sound like now. What a sweet sounding instrument. It is a shame we don't get to hear it more often!

Barney
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great concert! Like going to see an all star game.
Piccolo Stomvi
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the greatest wife in the world! For our anniversary she bought us tickets to this concert. And not just any tickets, but Row G, Seats 103 and 104 - among the best in the house.

This was my all time favorite concert. As she mentioned after the concert during our dinner at The Italian Village, I was like a kid in a candy store that afternoon. To get to hear the finest brass players in the country all on stage together was a dream come true. Of course, the playing was simply superb. And of note, though it's been about a year since they recorded this music, due to scheduling, they only had a one day rehearsal prior to yesterday's concert! And for the surprise arrangement of "Happy Birthday" that was played by the group for Joe Alessi (and directed by Jay Friedman, principal trombonist for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra), there was no rehearsal - they just played a rather intricate arrangement as a finale to the concert with no prep - and played it perfectly.

I filmed the Happy Birthday performance, and the arranger of it and most of the concert's music Timothy Higgins and Joe have given me permission to post it to YouTube which I'll be doing at the end of the school week.

While waiting in line to get my CD autographed by the performers in the meet and greet after the concert I had the good fortune to be in line right behind abontrumpet from the Trumpet Herald which made the time in line pass quicker.

Of humorous note, the demographics of brass players being mostly male cropped up at intermission: for possibly the first time in the history of Symphony Center, at intermission there was no line for the women's restroom, but a rather long one for the men's restroom.

If you missed the concert, buy the CD and enjoy some of the finest brass playing you'll ever hear!

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Last edited by John Mohan on Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John is dead on about the audience demographics... lots of bald guys of a certain age... actually now that I think about it, there were quite a few bald guys up on stage too. Regardless, the playing was wonderful, particularly when you think about how little time they had ahead of the concert.

Absolute brass bliss to be sitting there listening to Chris Martin and Mike Sachs trading licks back and forth across the stage.
trumpetdon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
And for the surprise arrangement of "Happy Birthday" that was played by the group for Joe Alessi (and directed by Jay Friedman, principal trombonist for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra), there was no rehearsal - they just played a rather intricate arrangement as a finale to the concert with no prep - and played it perfectly.

Awesome concert!

A correction to John's post: Jay Friedman conducted the encore, Gabrieli Canzona per Sonare #2, arranged by Tim Higgins, not the Happy Birthday/Verdi mash-up (Some of the Verdi was played earlier in the concert, without the Happy Birthday parts!)
Mike Lockman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: NAtional Brass ensemble Reply with quote

I attended the National Brass Ensemble in Sonoma, CA. A once in a lifetime experience. I cannot attend the Chicago concert. If you can go it is worth every penny. Yes the recording will come out soon. I will be the first to purchase it.
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I gave my wife a present by not taking her to the concert. It's all a mater of perspective! What a great concert. I'm still riding high over the experience. Been practicing like crazy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: