• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Calicchio Trumpets?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Calicchio Trumpets? Reply with quote

Being a trumpet player I always want a new horn, my most recent fascination are Calicchio trumpets. Does anybody have any experience with the 1s/2 and 1s/7 models? I currently play an old medium bore NY Bach with a 43 bell, the only beef I have with this horn is that it plays realllllllly sharp. It's more the horn than me lol, (I hope!! ) I took a tuner to it and compared it to my Conn 36B.

Thanks,

Andrew
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who wants to go first?!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go with the Calicchio 1s/2. From my experience, it's a freer blow, easier response, it can sizzle or simmer when ya want, and to my ears and playing it's the more versatile of the two.

And if yer really unhappy with yer Bach, send it to me - I'll give it a good home where it'll play in tune.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a 1s/2 and a 1s/7. They're both fantastic instruments, yet very different. The descriptions on the Calicchio site pretty well spell out what to expect. The 1s/2 is the real screamer of the two, although it can serve nicely for just about anything you can play. The major difference is that it allows more note-bending, in fact demands pretty solid control to stay centered. The 1s/7 is a much more forgiving horn, practically playing itself by comparison. The overall sound is similar, with the 1s/2 typically having a bit more of an edge to it. Either will light up nicely when prodded. The famous 1s bell's sound is present either way, just seems to be a touch more prominent with the 2 leadpipe.
If you're a strong enough player to use it well, the 1s/2 is hard to beat. The 1s/7 is a terrific horn for just about any reasonably decent player. Get one of each if you can afford to do so.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned several Calicchios and currently have a MINT Dave Trigg model that I am willing to part with. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

Of the models I have had, I would say the 2/2 was the most suitable for any and all applications. It really was my favorite of the bunch.
Bourbon City
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Dominick made trumpets: a 1s/2 and a R3/2. They both are my pride and joy. When I get enough money saved I plan on buying a Tula, John Duda made 1s/2.

I have heard by many players of Calicchio trumpets that the Duda made trumpets are equally as good (if not better) as Dominick's horns. That is saying alot my musician friends.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Calicchio Trumpets? Reply with quote

agolden wrote:
I currently play an old medium bore NY Bach with a 43 bell, the only beef I have with this horn is that it plays realllllllly sharp.

Hearing about inconsistencies in Bach's NY horns doesn't shock me too much. I've heard of some superb instruments and also heard of some owned by some friends that they paid a great deal for but turned out to be real dogs. I don't know what the case is with your horn - maybe it's a dog, maybe it needs an alignment - who knows? Many things are possible.

I don't know enough about Calicchios to comment on them.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just can not go wrong with a John Duda handmade Tulsa Calicchio trumpet or flugelhorn. I prefer the 3/9 large bore with a Curry 80TF, but if I were not a heavy player I would go with the 1s/2. I also play the 6" yellow brass flugelhorn with a Curry 80fld mp, this combo imho can not be beat! I also own a Caliccio 2/9 lb that with a 3c sounds superb for legit stuff.

I am almost ready to release my all new TULSA CD.
When you listen to it, you can really hear the Duda Calicchio difference.

You just can not go wrong with the gorgeous Daversa - Tulsa Calicchio sound.

Calicchio trumpets and flugelhorns sound the best!
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord

Last edited by mcahynuacrkd on Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigdanv
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played the 1S/2, but I play a 1S/7 and it's a great horn. It's extremely agile and easy to play.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have played a couple of 1s/2 trumpets and thought they were fantastic. I currently play the Kanstul 1501 which is their version of the 1s/7. It's a wonderful trumpet that sounds great in every setting, and I have played it in just about every setting, but where it really shines is when you're recording. It prints like no other. Maybe that's why all the LA folks were playing them?
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Calicchio Trumpets Reply with quote

Hello Andrew,
I had a friend who had a 1S2/7 and it was a great sounding horn. My 3/9 large bore was too big, but had a nice sound. Don't get rid or your Bach. Getting a valve alignment and checking the receiver gap, may be all the work needed on it. You may need only invest in those mods rather than buying a $2500+ horn... At least do that first. Melk would do a great job for you and I don't think you would be de-valuing the horn. If you sell the Bach, you will regret it not too far down the road.
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted by user]

Last edited by agolden on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Calicchio Trumpets Reply with quote

Hello again Andrew,
You caught my attention... What do you know about the difference a 1 mm of gap??? My horns are in that 4-5 mm gap range. They seem to play better there. I have a B6 shank that places the gap at 7mm which does not feel/slot good at all, hence, I don't use that one.
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing both these horns have in common is, the 1s bell. The Calicchio 1s bell is a monster...like a 12 guage. It has such a direct engagement. Put it this way, it doesn't exactly float around the room. Very rich, very bright, unlike no other.

I once owned a 1s7 and although it wasnt set up correctly, it felt like the most responsive horn I had ever played. And in truth this was why I bought it. Day to day, gig to gig though, it could be a bitch. I tried a couple of others and they were even better. Never played a horn that felt so alive. Seriously if you can find a good one they make today's custom horns look like candy floss. Seriously. But mine had to go. They are a handful.

Many a disciple picks up and has an affair with a Calicchio. They are the Alfa Romeos of the trumpet world. Once played, you may well be smitten. However day to day, that's a tough love affair. Approach with caution and keep your head intact.

They sound freakin' awesome and alive on recordings where a normal horn will sound like plumbing. I dunno why but I can testify this to be true...if you can play em'. There are guys on here who know why that is and from what I can see, experienced players, so keep your ears open. I would buy another in a second over any other brand, should i get the oppurtunity.

Last edited by windandsong on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted by user]

Last edited by agolden on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted by user]

Last edited by agolden on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a 1s/7 before. Didn't care for it...

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
sunburstbasser
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a Hollywood (post-Domenick) 1s/7 for a bit over a year now and if what you need to do is make small animals explode, it can't be beat!

In all seriousness, my 1s/7 is a beast. The sound doesn't go out; it goes forward. WAY forward; my jazz band instructor in college would set up a recorder at the other end of the room and if I pointed my bell right at it the sheer power of the Calicchio would obliterate the rest of the trumpet section. I never had to work to cut like that and unlike the over-blowing Bach players it was easier to stay in tune above the staff.

However, the 7 leadpipe is too tight for me. So, I got rid of it. The leadpipe that is; I'm expecting a Tulsa 2 leadpipe on a Hollywood horn hopefully in time for Christmas. I've played the 1s/2 and for how I play it fits me much better. My regular horn is a Kanstul 1600 with a round tuning slide; I prefer a little more open horn. The upside to the 7's tight playing is that accuracy is a breeze, and it was very easy to nail fast passages with it without fluffing or chipping notes.

I've also played the other Calicchio trumpets.

The #2 bell is the closest to "ordinary," for lack of a better term. Its the most tame bell that Calicchio makes in my opinion, with a sound that is distinct, but reminiscent of Bach bells. I've not been terribly thrilled with the 2, personally, but for a more well-rounded bell it might suit some players better than the 1s.

The 3 is enormous. It has a dark sound but it also has a distinct growl to it that other big bells like Bach's 72 and Schilke's B1 don't possess. Backing off a bit tames the growl. It doesn't light up like the 1s, but apparently many lead players are using it nowadays along with the 1s due to how it sounds in the upper register. It never gets small in tone as long as the player does their job.

I love Calicchio horns a lot and John Duda is one of the best in the business.
Selmer 24B Lightweight K-Mod
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted by user]

Last edited by agolden on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agolden wrote:
I prefer the feel of tighter and smaller bore horns. I play on a Medium Bore Bach, and played a Conn 36B for about a year. So i'm getting that the 1s/7 is tighter? But the 1s/2 has wider slots?

Right. The 7 pipe has a tighter front end. It's not tight like the shew horns, just has a little resistance to it that is very easy to get used to. Seriously, it's a beautiful horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: