• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gypsy: Any tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdanv
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Gypsy: Any tips? Reply with quote

I'm playing 1st trumpet in Gypsy in a few weeks, if anyone has any tips, they would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Dan
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try posting this thread over on TrumpetMaster. Tony Kadleck hosts a forum over there. He would be perfect to answer your question. Tony is a monster musician, who happens to have been the lead trumpet on the most recent Broadway revival of Gypsy
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subbed on the Bway Gypsy and have played several other productions of the show.

There are several solos in the 1st book, a few sections in the 2nd book that are solos (meaning the 2nd trumpet plays a written "solo" part), and one in the 3rd book (written out a la 2nd trumpet).

As I recall from the rental book productions there is a combination of written solos and chord changes for the 1st solos.

On Bway the 1st trumpet had 4 solos - one in the Overture, one in "Torreodorables", one at the very end of Act II and the last one in the Exit music. The solos that were played were, I believe, the transcribed solos that Dick Perry played on the original 1959 production.

I have those 4 solos and can .pdf you a copy if ya want.

There is a tune in Act I where you might be called to play and sound absolutely terrible on the bugle call "Reveille". It's a scene where Gypsy is supposed to play trumpet in one of her stage acts. Often the actress will play it (adds to the terrible sound), but you might be called to do it instead. That happened a few times on the recent Bway production.

All 3 parts are Bb trumpet only with the usual suspects of mutes. Be aware that there are some confusing and / or missing mute changes.

Range-wise the 1st trumpet goes to high F, 2nd to D#. The Dick Perry solos have Fs & Gs.

The rental book also has a few misprints:
- One key misprint - song #4 has 2 flats, but should be in “C.” Play all the marked accidentals.
- song #2, ms. 21 & 22 should be a Bb, not an Ab.
- song 18B / “Incidental” - next to last ms., 2nd beat is a F#, not G#.

It's a fun show from the classic era of Bway. There are sections with a lot of playing and few breaks (especially toward the end of Act II), and sections where you have long breaks.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played that pit in two amateur productions. I think it is one of the most fun pits there is. The improvised solos are over simple, standard changes with clear rhythm and plenty of room, no complex be-bop lines needed.

I think it is hard to mess up the bugle call just enough without turning it to garbage. I memorized a set of mistakes so I wouldn't overdo it and I played a little off center of usual mouthpiece placement to get a consistently bad tone.

I suspect that the main problem for the 1st trumpet in the pit is to remember that the show is about Gypsy, not the trumpet. Once I got that concept firmly down, the gig was a joy.

Tommy T.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to amend my previous post.

All of the jazz solos are in Trpt 2, but on the most recent Bway production they were all played by Trpt 1 and his subs.

The solo that was played on "Toreadorables" was added to the Trpt 1 part for Bway.

The "Reveille" solo is in Act II, #17 ("You Gotta Get a Gimmick").

The solo in the Exit music (written on Trpt 2, Tony played it) was new Exit music, inserted specifically for that production.

tommy t. wrote:
I suspect that the main problem for the 1st trumpet in the pit is to remember that the show is about Gypsy, not the trumpet. Once I got that concept firmly down, the gig was a joy.Tommy T.

Close. It's actually a show about the Uber-Stage Mother, Gypsy's mom, Rose. But your concept is correct - all Bway shows are about the show more than the 1st trumpet (but we're working on that)

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
...all Bway shows are about the show more than the 1st trumpet...

Well, isn't that the pits!
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
... all Bway shows are about the show more than the 1st trumpet (but we're working on that)

There ought to be a musical comedy in the off-stage life of Harry James with transcriptions of his solos as part of the score.

Tommy T.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I need to even further amend my previous post.

The solos in the trumpet parts on the most recent Bway production of Gypsy were not the transcribed solos of Dick Perry - they were the artistic work of current Bway trumpet great Tony Kadleck, who said "Dick did play them originally but I wrote out my own thing for that last production."

I apologize for any confusion.

RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread, but I don't see any reason to start a new one.

Can anyone comment on what mutes are required for this show?

Any doubling on flugel or ... ?

Thanks
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim sent me the following about mutes offline, along with some other notes. I thought I would include it here so others might find it helpful in the future.

Quote:

3 parts - 1 & 2 together, 3rd separate
Bb - trumpet only
St., Cup, Harmon (no stem), plunger (1st only, a 1-bar solo), “tight” cup, “tight” Harmon (means Harmon no stem)
1st goes to high F
2nd goes to D#
Lots of unisons w/ 2nd. Trpt
Lots of confusing and or missing mute changes.
1 key misprint - #4 has 2 flats, but should be in “C.” Play all the marked accidentals.
#2, ms. 21 & 22 should be a Bb, not an Ab.
18B / “Incidental” - next to last ms., 2nd beat is a F#, not G#.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickthtrumpet - I received your email about Gypsy. I sent a reply but got a MAILER-DAEMON response.

Here is my reply to you:

I don't have copies of the trumpet parts. As far as I know there is only one version of Gypsy, and it's the same that was used on the last Broadway revival in 2008.

As I recall, the 2nd solos are over chord changes - KEEP THE SOLOS SIMPLE.

The show is fairly simple & easy to play. It's long - 2 hr 45 min w/ a 15 intermission.

Here are the main notes I took from playing the show. These apply to the Tams Witmark rental books that were hand-copied:

Bb trumpet only all parts
Cup, straight, Harmon (no stem). 1st has plunger
The marking of "Tight Harmon" means no stem.
1 key misprint - #4 has 2 flats, but should be in “C.”
Play all the marked accidentals.
#2, ms. 21 & 22 should be a Bb, not an Ab.
18B / “Incidental” - next to last ms., 2nd beat is a F#, not G#.

2nd & 3rd trumpet have an easy show - 1st trumpet plays a lot more than the other 2 parts.

Hope this helps and have fun!

Tim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: