• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing on a raw brass mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Benge
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Playing on a raw brass mouthpiece Reply with quote

Is this guaranteed to cause a reaction in everyone who does it? I noticed some of the Al Cass mouthpieces you see from back in the day were raw brass, so I've been curious. When it does cause a reaction, what are the typical symptoms?
trumpetDS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a definitive answer, but I think overall it is not a good idea to touch raw brass for long periods of time. I remember John Stork of Stork mouthpieces saying that he got brass poisoning from making mouthpieces. I owned a baroque trumpet with a raw brass mouthpiece which I used for some time without any reaction, but I had it plated when I got the chance just to be safe. I did have a friend who played a raw brass rim and he basically had a chemical reaction- he got a burn type scab on his chops. He had to take a break and get his mouthpiece plated.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Benge,

Why play with fire and get burned?

Better the raw mouthpiece be plated. Certainly the protection of your health is worth the small investment.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
missmybaby
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't kill you to play it. If you have a reaction you will definitely know about it. Wouldn't a raw brass mouthpiece leave a nasty after-taste? I just cleaned and polished my raw brass Ambassador last night and the cleaning rags were black with disgusting crud (patina, lol). Plating is cheap enough to not have to find out if you have an allergy or not.
DaveO'Gazmo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some peeple can use raw brass with no probs, but some peeple do have bad reactions. It's safeliest to play a plated mouthpiece just in case.

If nothing else, raw brass stinks. It remines me of antique shops. do you want yer lippies to smell like an antiques shop?

Keep on truckin'
Dave
conte72

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: raw brass mouthpiece Reply with quote

Speaking from experience..... When I spent the summer at Busch Gardens in VA years ago, I played on a raw brass mouthpiece. About 2-3 weeks into the summer I developed a tightness in my chest and would have headaches almost every day. At first I thought I was playing too hard but when a friend suggested I get my mouthpiece plated, I did. The symptoms vanished after 2 days. Just be careful.
George Coble
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Raw brass trumpet mouthpieces

I played on a raw brass mouthpiece for a while in 1970 and promptly developed a very irritated lip area where the mouthpiece was placed. To this day, I have scar tissue where that irritation was. I found out later that the brass used to make brass instrument mouthpieces has a considerable lead content which makes it easier to cut and form the mouthpiece. Some people can play with a raw brass rim (Charlie Schleuter is one of these people). I, however, would not recommend it.
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why couldn't a mpc be cast entirely in solid sterling silver or solid 10K gold and then machined to specs and tolerances. Then I wouldn't play it except on special occasions, I'd just display it .

Lead in old raw brass is toxic. Docs say it affects your brain.
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Docs say it affects your brain.

Is the Brain a necessary component of trumpet playing?

I have an old mellophone with no plating left on the mthpce. I get a metallic taste in my mouth if I play it. I think it is very unhealthy. jbqd
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James B. Quick wrote:
Is the Brain a necessary component of trumpet playing? I have an old mellophone with no plating left on the mthpce. I get a metallic taste in my mouth if I play it. I think it is very unhealthy. jbqd

Geez, My brain must have been put in my skull to do some function, not much else it can do as well lately.

Get yourself a new Larry Kerchner from IYM. It's heavy as h*** as made to counter-balance mellophone marching / trumpet configuration but I think it's super. Somebody else must have also as they stole my first one ... so I was forced to get replacement. Is your old mellophone in configuration of French horn except right hand fingering? Bb, Eb, or F?
My older brother played an Eb in HS, and I now have Yammy F.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw Brass mouthpieces are very common in the baroque world - many popular mouthpieces (Egger for example) are sold and played in raw brass.

There might be a difference between newer and vintage raw brass mouthpieces - maybe today's RB mouthpieces are made without lead.

JU
jimh46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Playing on a raw brass mouthpiece Reply with quote

johntpt wrote:
There might be a difference between newer and vintage raw brass mouthpieces - maybe today's RB mouthpieces are made without lead.

I think it is more likely that the brass used to make modern mouthpieces will contain lead.

Most mouthpieces are made using modern computer controlled machines and the lead content makes the brass more machinable and facilitates a better surface finish due to its lubricating properties.

The lead content is around 2% which is very significant.

Regards
Jim
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: brass Reply with quote

Brass is very soft, it is quite porous, compared to many metals, and is borderline toxic, in contact with skin and from swallowing saliva floating around in your mouth when u play.
Dirt remains on the soft surface and is absorbed.
The angles on the inside, high point and outside edge also penetrate the lip surface as your chops move when playing.
Don't play on brass.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpt wrote:
Raw Brass mouthpieces are very common in the baroque world - many popular mouthpieces (Egger for example) are sold and played in raw brass.

They also thought bathing was unhealthy during that period of history. Bleeding and leaches were commonly used to cleanse a patient's "humours." Also, most people believed the sun revolved around the earth.

Just because they did it or thought it back then doesn't mean it's a good idea or the right idea.

People back then had an excuse - ignorance. People sometimes have a similar issue today, but today it's more likely willful ignorance. The information is there for everyone, if you choose to ignore it, that's your problem.

mcgovnor wrote:
Brass is very soft, it is quite porous, compared to many metals, and is borderline toxic, in contact with skin and from swallowing saliva floating around in your mouth when u play.

Exactly. Not to mention the lips are the most porous surface on your body - it's easy to absorb things through them - good or bad.

Do as you wish. It's your body, your health, and your problem.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
davidkoch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it plated. Simplest thing, but if you really want to, you could send the raw brass piece to kanstul and have it re machined into a new piece, even stainless steel.

Just an option.
sLiXk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a raw brass mouthpiece with no problems at all.

Link

Most of the horn is in raw brass too... You'll get used to the taste after a while.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does "brass breath" discourage girlfriends?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmf wrote:

No - a trumpeter's personality is usually enough.

Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
lmf wrote:

No - a trumpeter's personality is usually enough.

Crazy Finn,

Isn't that the truth!

Lloyd
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sLiXk wrote:
I play a raw brass mouthpiece with no problems at all.

Link

Most of the horn is in raw brass too... You'll get used to the taste after a while.

The problem is not in getting used to the taste. It is in that you are absorbing lead (Pb) from the raw brass, especially from the mouthpiece that goes directly into your digestive system. The presence of enzymes in saliva greatly increases the rate of leaching of the lead. Lead is a cumulative poison, that is, your body cannot effectively dispose of it, and any extra amount absorbed stays in. Look up "lead poisoning".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: