• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pocket Trumpet Practice Mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyubf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Pocket Trumpet Practice Mute Reply with quote

Does anybody know of a practice mute that would fit into a pocket trumpet? I've been looking all over the place and I just don't know enough about what mute sizes will fit. Please help!

Thanks.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I use a "Trumcor" practice mute with my Pocket and it fits very well.
But I bought both a long time ago here in Paris, thus I do not know if it still exists and if the bells have now the same size...(mine has a small size).
Regards
Marc
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have found this link:
https://www.trumcor.com/shop?product_category=Trumpet+Mutes
The one I have for my pocket looks exactly like the black piccolo stealth mute but it does not fit my Selmer piccolo...
So...be careful!
Regards
Marc
cinci-sop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bremner sshhmute and it works just fine in my pocket trumpet.
Schilke B5 Trumpet - Stork 3B
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most good pocket trumpets have a full size trumpet bell, so any mute should fit.
Anyway, the bell flair might be smaller in some cases, but the "neck" will be similar to that of an ordinary Bb trumpet.
I think a BestBrass should even fit in the smallest pocket trumpet bells.

MvW.
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Pocket Trumpet Practice Mute Reply with quote

I useda Renuzit homemade practice mute when I was in the hospital with my pocket trumpet. (I couldn't hold up the weight of a full size trumpet and needed something closer to my body) I tried several and the Renuzit worked the best with my particular instrument's bell size and flare.

See Jim Donaldson's Trumpet Gearhead website to get great directions on making one yourself.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
MGTrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vote for the Best Brass practice mute too.

I've used one for several years in my pocket trumpet. I've got an old Getzen (I think) Piccolo trumpet gig bag that I carry the horn around in when I go on vacation. I just leave the Best Brass mute in the horn so it's always with me. It works great for keeping my chops alive while on vacation. The horn in the gig bag always fits in my carry on luggage. The Best Brass mute is so good I can practice anywhere - even with my wife sleeping in the same room!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a better feedback, get the Bremner Sshhmute and use it with the Zoom H2 (with or without the wind breaking foam), directing the mute to Zoom's microphones and listening through the headphones. Works quite well and sounds somewhat like Harmon.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to recommend the Renuz-It home brew mute as well. I think I should also add that the instruction on Youtube are not the best!

First if you make the modifications I recommend you will not need any glue or a drill! Take the stem piece that you pop out and pitch it in the trash you do not need it and it does nothing to attenuate the sound it only add's resistance which is already high enough! Second do not put any stuffing inside of it at all it does not need it! Apply two rows of weather stripping around the base at 1/4 up from the bottom and again close to the outer most contact point on your trumpet. With my Modifications I can play one room over or on the second floor directly above a third shift person and not wake them up! That is the goal right not to disturb people with sound levels higher then normal. In this way not only is the resistance much lower then most practice mutes but it also does not cause you to play as sharp as some other mutes. I think people go over board with the amount of muting they are after and really you just need to cut it down enough so the neighbors and or roommates are not disturbed.

The best part is that depending on if yo use weather stripping or cork you can make a Renuzit to fit almost anything from a pocket trumpet to a Trombone! IF you want to sample your muted playing you can easily install an electret condenser mic in the mute and run it into any preamp or compression eq you have and then into what ever else you want to run it into! If you want to play around with media inside like tissue or steel wool or membrane in place of the end cap you can do all of that and much more.You creativity is the only limitation. I used to make mutes out of Metal Budwiser Long Neck bottle/can.
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having a pocket trumpet at hand, I really don't know. However, it seems like a Yamaha Silent Brass mute should also work, as also most straight type mutes.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Lee wrote:
Not having a pocket trumpet at hand, I really don't know. However, it seems like a Yamaha Silent Brass mute should also work, as also most straight type mutes.

Lee,

A standard mute also fits my pocket trumpet just fine!

Best wishes,

Lloyd
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a cup mute fits, stuff a rag in the cup. Bingo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: