• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

cut on my lip

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookietwist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: cut on my lip Reply with quote

hi...i have a cut on my bottom lip and it wont heal until i will stop playing for some time.the problem is that im in an orchestra and i need to play every day.i have this cut over a month.im afraid it could harm me if i wont stop.what shuold i need to do?
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a sub and let your lip heal.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris LaBarbera told me about Zim's Crack Creme for the lips. You can order it online. I recently bought two tubes (about $4.00 US each) and keep one in my case and the other near my bed.

I understand what you're going through, trust me, so the first chance you get to take some time off, be sure to keep it covered in Zim's and don't play until you absolutely have to. But use it in the mean time until you get that time off.

I "lost" about 14 years of being able to play trumpet because I didn't take care of cuts on the lip (very long story), so I hope you don't have to go through that.
cookietwist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow realy 14 years???im starting to get nervous about this cut.i can take a time off for only a week.i hope it will heal in this amount of time.and i would be glad to hear your story about your cuts on the lip and that because of that you lost 14 years of your playing...
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cookietwist wrote:
I'm starting to get nervous about this cut. I can take a time off for only a week.

As a musician, you've a choice: Change career or make appointment to see physician ! Nervous ... you should be!

While in college one winter, I was asked to sub with band at country club. Borrowed white dinner jacket tux from absent band member.
Just after beginning second set, I split my lip bad and blood gushed down the front of my shirt and the dinner jacket. Replacing the dinner jacket not only didn't get me a pay check, it cost me more out of my own pocket. Worst, as I couldn't play for weeks, I nearly failed instrumental music that semester ... but it wasn't until the second week that I had to go home to my parents and have them make appointment with Doc. Luckily, he didn't put stitches in it. As I didn't have the money to pay the Doc or for the prescription, my parents did. Don't know the cream he prescribed but it was white and stunk to high heaven. My recovery was over the Christmas holidays during which time I did not play. Need I say that in the beginning on return I didn't play that well and I didn't need the professor to tell me so ... but he did. I passed and graduated but I don't know how. It wasn't with honors for sure. To this day, I believe it could have been had I immediately seen a Doc. Too, I would have then continued playing ... possibly as soon as I could have bought my own instrument. I rented throughout college.
Cunuckle Head
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea (and I have not tried this myself), but what about that liquid band-aid stuff. I have never used this on my lip, but have used it on other sensitive areas with great success. Things seem to heal up quite quickly with when I use it. I cannot see it interfering with your playing much (no more that a cut lip at any rate) and it should buy you some time until you can get some rest. I cannot see it doing any harm.
cookietwist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone give me a link to a zim crack or other cream that can help??
oh and another thing i didint mentioned:the cut on my lip is inside the mouth in the inner lower lip...so i dont think i couldput any cream on it??
Cunuckle Head
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside the lip. Oh, then I would not try the liquid band-aid stuff on it.
The Kraken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super glue the cut shut, ice it, make sure it does not swell, cream it up with something, take some over the counter pain meds. Then see a DOC ASAP !!

Emergency Treatment crude but effective.
Comeback Player end date: Till Death Do Us Part
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kraken wrote:
Super glue the cut shut, ice it, make sure it does not swell, cream it up with something, take some over the counter pain meds. Then see a DOC ASAP !!

I'm sorry, that is just plain stupid . . . super glue is not something I would ever intentionally put anywhere on my body.

I was going to delete that post, but I left it there so people could see the stupidity of yet another of so many non-Reinhardt suggestions.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Spitvalve. If Freddie had he might have had a longer career.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
The Kraken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
The Kraken wrote:

I'm sorry, that is just plain stupid . . . super glue is not something I would ever intentionally put anywhere on my body.

I was going to delete that post, but I left it there so people could see the stupidity of yet another of so many non-Reinhardt suggestions.

You are correct STUPID IT IS!!
Comeback Player end date: Till Death Do Us Part
leadtpt1955
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing...I was just reading an interview with Eric Miyashiro where he talks about chop problems:

Any chop problems / solutions you've personally had you can share?

I have had so many chop problems, I don't know where to begin. I used to use crazy-glue to patch up my cuts on my chops when I was on Buddy's band. Basically being a lead player means "You have to do it!". Buddy and Maynard told me once that the audience shouldn't care or don't need to know how your chops feel, they deserve your best in any given night. Most chop problems starts with over playing your limits. But if you are a lead player on a road band, you can't send in a sub or take a night off. The "Art of Pacing" is a must for any trumpet player.

And from the Krazy Glue site itself:

Cyanoacrylate proved valuable to military surgeons during the Vietnam War.

Under battlefield conditions, they could use the material to close wounds and stop bleeding. Today, specific formulations of cyanoacrylate have been developed for medical use.

Instant Krazy Glue products should not be used for wound care

Glad they put that last line in there

Adams A4LT Trumpet
Adams Sterling Silver Bell Flugelhorn
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably be surprised how quickly your cut would heal if it had a chance.

I don't think it's anything to get freaked about. Stuff like this happens all the time. Take a week off, and it and you should be fine.

Is it a real "cut" as in sliced deeply into the lip, or a crack - from dryness and wear - that broke open and started to bleed and swell. I've had more than a few of the latter and they heal up pretty well, pretty quickly - if you don't abuse your lips.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Cunuckle Head
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some surgical glue that ER Doc friend uses for all sorts of wounds, but I am not sure if it can be used inside the mouth. Also, there is some canker medication that can be used inside the mouth that seals off the open sore. Again, temp. solutions. Rest and a doctor if it doesn't heal.
Socrates
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going through something like this myself right now albeit a little different. Mine is inside my upper lip where it touches the corner of one of my front teeth. Not really a cut(never bleed or anything) but definitely irritated and what some may call a crack. It only hurts for a little when I warm up and after that it's fine.

Obviously rest would be the best option, and I did take today off. However, as a working musician giving a full recital in a couple weeks and other gigs I can't really take a week off. I have had some pretty taxing performances in the past couple of weeks with no problems at all.

I guess all I can say is that if you can, take time off. If you're ever have serious lip pain, or bleeding when playing by all means stop playing!! But if it's not much of a problem I would say just be mindful of it, be careful and when you can stop playing for a while and let it heal!

Just my 2 cents.
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socrates,

When I started applying a lot of Reinhardt advice, I quickly developed some extra upper register, but started having pain from one of my front teeth cutting into the inside of my top lip.

However, once I figured out how to use my jaw, as described by Reinhardt, that problem disappeared completely, since it allows me to take pressure off the top lip and keep it from curling or rubbing against the teeth..

I don't know if that's the case for you, but it's worth looking into, I imagine!
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cookietwist wrote:
can someone give me a link to a zim crack or other cream that can help??
oh and another thing i didint mentioned:the cut on my lip is inside the mouth in the inner lower lip...so i dont think i couldput any cream on it??

Orabase (not Orajel) . . . Orabase is the best thing you can use for cuts on the inside. Next time you need to tell us where it is, since there's a big difference in how to treat them (inside or out).

Orabase is now made by Colgate, and comes in a little white tube. You put some on before you go to bed, and as often as the directions allow. It contains benzocaine (or some kind of numbing agent) so you don't want to use it soon before you need to play.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with many of the replies, that you should rest it.

Orabase may help provide symptomatic relief. The petroleum base gel it's forumulated in would likely help wound healing. However, it contains kenalog, which is a steroid that could actually slow down wound healing (although it's at a very low dose), but might help if there's a lot of swelling. So there are pluses and minuses. But it seems to help BeboppinFool, which is great.

Other treatments would be warm salt water gargles and a soft diet to avoid mechanical trauma. Also, I would limit the use of peroxide or antiseptic mouthwashes. These will disinfect the cut, but will hurt the new tissue being formed.

I also agree about getting a doctor to see any slow-healing or atypical-looking cut on your lip. It may be something other than a simple cut.
Cunuckle Head
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little advise from Freddie Hubbard about playing with lip problems:

http://www.shout.net/~jmh/articles/freddie01.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: