• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CBK Mouthpiece (Conn-Selmer)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: CBK Mouthpiece (Conn-Selmer) Reply with quote

A friend of mine recently got one of these Acousti-Mass mouthpieces.

He sounds really great with it. He is using a 3C version.

Anyone have any experience with one?

CBK means there are elements of Conn/Benge/King mouthpieces from the past.

Thanks...

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
kevinwoods
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that Terry Warburton made these for Conn/King/Benge. They are great mouthpieces and play very well and centered. Pretty cheap too!

kw
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if warburton made them, then so did someone else. At one point I happened to find the shop that made those. It was not a musical instrument shop, just a generic CNC shop. I saved the info at one point.

I played the 1 1/2C version for about two years,and also the 3C version for a short time.

That is a very good sounding mouthpiece. The throat entrance is pretty open, and the sound is warm. I liked it a lot, but the attacks were sometimes a little woofy. The upper register was nice too. I used it for jazz and legit. I recorded on it a little bit too. I found the 1 1/2 C to match better with a curry 3Z. The CKB 3C was smaller than most 3C's.

Doug M
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1 1/2C CKB. I have tried it on several different occasions and always end up back on my Bach 3C.

It is probably a nice mouthpiece...if you want that kind of mouthpiece. I think it is pretty comfortable.

However, I don't like the extra mass design because I find extra mass deadens the tone and makes response sluggish and slow. I have a similar opinion of heavy bottom valve caps. I have a set of those also, and after trying them in several different ways, I always end up removing them and going back to the standard set-up.

I much prefer the sound and playing characteristics of a standard Bach 3C.

But, I think the CKB is a nice mouthpiece - if you prefer that design.
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had great experiences with CKB mouthpieces with students in DCI drum and bugle corps.
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
garpo3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1 1/2 C because it comes with new Conn V1's. I can't see much of a difference in shape or size (on the inside) when compared to a Bach. Obviously the weight adds some resistance and it sounds a bit darker and less colorful but that's about it. The silver plating on mine gets tarnished and blotchy abnormally fast. In general, it is a pretty ugly looking mouthpiece.
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: CKB Mouthpiece (Conn-Selmer) Reply with quote

Hello,You can buy the CKB 7C Trumpet m.p. for $40.00 from Kelly mouthpieces. The other sizes can be bought from Mouthpiece Express for around $48.00. These prices do not include shipping etc. The correct type model or original design should look like the one advertised by Kellys. They are well made, probably by someone like the Warburtons. There are some other generics out there,including Bachs etc. made by some E-Bay sellers. Best to stick with Kelly's or Mouthpiece Express. I need to check with M.P. Express myself,and see if they can order me a Conn CKB 7C cornet m.p. They were making them at one time. Would like to see how one fits and plays on my 1947 King Master Cornet. I had a CKB 7C Trumpet m.p. It played just fine on my vintage King Liberty Trumpets. I agree with Dave, you will like it or not like it. In some cases, could be gap issues in how the piece sets up on various modern trumpets etc. I did like mine much better than a Bach megatone. I have no trumpets, except an 1947 Olds Ambassador,went back to my cornets. Sold my CKB with one of my Libertys. Good luck
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the CKB 3C and it was the same diameter as several Pre-Strike Bachs I measured and compared it too. The rim bite was a bit sharper.

Sounds good though.
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
Jetrang
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a CBK 1B, sound is magnificent, but a to big and tiring mouthpiece to me.

the rims edge seems a bit sharp to me to.
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: CBK Mouthpiece (Conn-Selmer) Reply with quote

I went ahead and ordered a CBK 1-B from a friend who runs a music store/trumpet shop since I play large mp's in general. (Bach NY 1, Monette B-1-1/C-1-1 and DW Maurice Murphy model)

I am not opposed to "heavy mass" mouthpieces in general
I play a Bach 238 Heavy Gold Brass Bell C trumpet and do use all three heavy bottom valve caps.

Look forward to trying it out.

Thanks for the input.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
carltrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the CKB 5C for a year or so. Really comfortable rim, and good sound. The rims do remind me a bit of the Warburton rims, which is what I use now. It would make sense to me if Warburton had a hand in the design.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that someone posted that it was ugly.

I always thought it was about the nicest looking mouthpiece out there.

still looking for the info on the CNC shop that makes them. You can see the CKB pieces grouped with a bunch of non-music stuff like car parts and such on the home page of that machine shops website. I stumbled on it. It's not warburton related I'm pretty sure.

DOug M
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
swingshift
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a bunch...the 1 1/2 e has a really nice sound for pops..not too edgy...and the 1 1/2 B and C are really very nice pieces....
like others have said, the bite is sharper but that gives nice crisp attacks...sound is darker than the bach but still really nice...
i have some for sale cheap if anyone wants some....
Brian
yamaha 631 flug
jin bao rotary piccolo trumpet
wedge 5BC 25 and 5DC 25 with heavyweight Barrel ML shank
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Warburton made them Reply with quote

I know Terry Warburton made at least some of them prior to his fire, but not since. I was at his shop and saw hundreds of the blanks all lined up ready for cup and backbore cutting. He used to do a lot of OEM work for various manufacturers, but I think he deliberately slowed that down after rebuilding.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by Mike Ewald that the CKB mouthpieces were largely modeled after old Conn designs. I believe Mike had a hand in play testing some of those models.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cups and rims are from benge mouthpieces. According the the conn-selmer website.

The benge mouthpieces were similar to bach in numbering etc, but were a little different.

Doug M
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewetho wrote:
I have the CKB 3C and it was the same diameter as several Pre-Strike Bachs I measured and compared it too. The rim bite was a bit sharper.

Sounds good though.

In DCI drum and bugle corps as of late the CKB 3C seems to be the standard, and some drum corps even require that their members play on a CKB 3C (unless they play lead parts).

I believe that the CKB line of mouthpieces took design elements from Conn, King and Benge. I agree with Jeff, that the inside of these cups do have similarities to Conn. All voices in corps are using CKB mouthpieces.
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
KMT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old topic, but I just got an email from MP express and all of their CKBs are on closeout for $25. I just ordered a couple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: