• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wiseman Quad Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Wiseman Quad Case Reply with quote

I am considering getting a Wiseman quad case, though have heard mixed reviews concerning how secure the horns are inside. Anybody who owns one or has owned please feel free to share your experiences with these cases.

If anybody would post some pictures of how the horns lie against each other in the case that would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks!

~CRR
ExtraLargeBore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are big, heavy, and are kind of awkward to put your horns in. But other than that, they are great cases...
trombino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a bassoonist buy the Wiseman. Trumpet players ,run like the wind and consider other options. I bought one some years ago. Waited for several months. Paid in excess of $500 plus duty to get it into the country. When I got the case I realized that I had to cut inserts to make the trumpets fit. I had just paid close to $600 and didn't think I should have to essentially retrofit the damn thing. So I never used the case. After a time I sold the case to someone ($300) who went to the trouble of cutting the inserts. The first time he used it the trumpets clanked around in the case damaging 4 professional level instruments. I'm sure there are probably those who have had a different experience, but that's my story, your honor.
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trombino,

So, the quad cases use foam inserts? From reviews I deduced that they did not. Hmm...
trombino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRR,
This was about five years ago. Maybe they no longer have foam inserts but at that time they did. My frustration was because I had indicated that I was using it for a Bach Bb and C, a Schilke D/Eb, and a Yamaha piccolo expecting that they would fit ,given the amount of money I was spending. If you are seriously considering one I would call them directly in England and insist on a return privilege if you are not satisfied. I probably could have returned mine but simply didn't follow up.

My wife, an oboist, has the oboe/eng horn Wiseman and loves it. It is my opinion that they make fine products for many instruments but at least at that time they had not come up with a product suitable for trumpet players, at least not this one. Maybe by now they have. Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Regards,

David Anderson
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I have found one used and was just wondering more about the actual fit of the horns since I can not see it in person.

~Charles
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The double and triple are suspension cases; that is, the horns are held in place by foam blocks. With the standard Wiseman quad, the horns are laid out in sections separate by dividers. I think that they will make a suspension quad on request, but that would be an even larger case.

The standard quad is not as protective as the suspension case because the horns are not suspended. It is still a very protective case due to the high grade of plywood and other components used in its construction.

The foam used in their suspension cases is very stiff. The most dangerous part of using a suspension case is getting the horns in correctly. Once they are properly in the blocks, it would be very hard to damage them, in my opinion.

I owned a triple for a while but it was just too much case for me. Also, I tend to keep my horns in the case during rehearsal, pulling them out as I need them. The suspension case is not convenient for that usage.

My Bachs fit fine in the included blocks. Wiseman includes pre-cut blocks for standard horns and blanks are available if you need to custom-fit a horn. The trickiest horns to fit are the flugels as each one is different.

I've heard that if you ever need new blocks just contact Wiseman and they will send you some, even if you are not the original owner of the case.

The quad will be a very nice case, not as protective as their suspension cases but probably as protective as a Marcus Bonna, for example. It will also be a pretty large case and not as light as the MBs.

-- Joe
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Does anybody on here currently own/use one of these or know somebody who uses one? Sounds to me like most people have gone with other options for reasons not just including the cost of the case.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has had a double for I'd say 15 years now. It has served him very well. When I saw his double I wanted one. I bought a triple that I saw on eBay which was too much of a case for my casual use as I explained above. But I still like the double. If I ever see one for sale used, I'd consider buying it.

The quad will be a big case. Too big, in my opinion, for casual, every-day use. There are lighter, smaller, cheaper, and more convenient options available. But if you are frequently carrying your horns under extreme conditions (flying, tour bus storage, etc) the quad could be a good choice.

-- Joe
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Had one Reply with quote

I bought a Wiseman triple at ITG 2007. I have since sold it.

The quad holds four horns in compartments, more like a gig bag than like their other trumpet cases which support the horns in foam blocks. It's not as protective, but might be a lot easier to use.

The rest of this message refers to the triple I owned. My impression was that it was OK as a flugel trumpet case, but add the picc in there and you spend a lot of time finessing horns in and out past each other, with opportunities to clank them together if you fumble at all.

They no longer provide free replacement foam blocks per my last communication with them, instead charging something like $20 shipping. Not unreasonable. But a replacement set of foam blocks to fit new horns took 6 months to arrive, which is silly.

The form factor of the case is not to my liking - velcro is very loud (no sneaking into rehearsals at the last minute with this case!) and as designed, the shoulder straps have to be unbuckled and unthreaded to remove (for example, if you're gate checking the case you wouldn't risk leaving the straps attached). Wiseman did make me a set of straps with clips at my request. But opening the case requires laying it full out to get the horns, so good luck in a cramped pit.

The mute bag that buckles onto the case with a belt around its circumference is inconvenient, but they did add a set of handles at my request so I could carry it separately.

I would also have been leery to gate check it, simply because the leather would have been damaged by baggage handlers. I'm confident the case would have protected the horns well in the triple config, not so sure with the quad.

I know exchange rates have reset recently and it's not quite so expensive, but last time I got a price quote with exchange rates the triple cost about $900 US. It's a lot more than a Torpedo Coyote for a case that's not as useful, in my opinion.

I've owned multiple horn cases from Walt Johnson, Torpedo, Raw Brass, and Protec as well as Wiseman. I found the Wiseman to be the most cumbersome of the bunch.

PS - Go Gators!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: