• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew 1 (E14) vs. 1.5 (E9.1)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew 1 (E14) vs. 1.5 (E9.1) Reply with quote

TH:
I've been toying around with the Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew 1 for a little bit, and wanted to get some opinions on the differences between the Bobby Shew 1 and the Bobby Shew 1.5. For some reason, the E14 is much more comfortable and has a fuller sound than the Yamaha counterpart. I have a couple questions that I'd like to tap the knowledgeable people at TH with (answer as many as you'd like):

-- What is the differences in sound between the E14 vs. the E9.1?
-- What is the cup depth of the 1.5 comparable to? (Don't quote the marcinkiewicz comparison chart... that chart does not really offer anything of value with respect to the 1.5)
-- Any other aspects of the mouthpiece that feel different?
-- How do the pieces feel/sound different on a Calicchio 1s/2? (Probably different for different people though)

Marcinkiewicz pieces are relatively cheap, so it's not a question of getting one at this point. The E14 is widely discussed on TH, but the E9.1 seems to not be discussed. Perhaps it's not a popular piece (although I've seen as many players on the 1 as the 1.5), or perhaps the search function on TH doesn't like decimals.

Thank you in advance, and god bless!
michael manthey
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is to call the Marcinkiewicz company with regards to the differences. They've always been very helpful in the past when I played their mouthpieces. I think, although I might be wrong, that some of the Shew models have different back bores, and perhaps rim contours.

The Shew 1.5 ... I think both Mike Bogart, and Wayne Bergeron play that model.

Regarding the Marcinkiewicz 'pieces, if that's the style you're looking at you might also try the Roger Ingram model. Ever so similar to the Shew #1.

But like I said, call the company.
Bob Reeves Mpc's
Kanstul Mpc's
'The Brass Spa' Practice Mute
www.ultrapureoils.com
Maynard Ferguson BBN Band
Zaphod
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew 1 (E14) vs. 1.5 (E9.1) Reply with quote

I've played the Shew 1 for before switching to the 1.5 one or two years ago. From my limited, subjective experience:
Chadwick wrote:
-- What is the differences in sound between the E14 vs. the E9.1?

The sound of the E14 is much thinner and slightly more "brilliant" or "bright". To me, the sound of the 1.5 is closer to the 2 (in fact it is very close to it) than to the 1.
Chadwick wrote:
-- What is the cup depth of the 1.5 comparable to?

Difficult question... the E14 is extremely shallow, so the E9.1 is in the same ballpark as e.g. a Warburton SV or other moderate S cups.
Chadwick wrote:
-- Any other aspects of the mouthpiece that feel different?

Due to the deeper cup, the E9.1 has a higher alpha angle and so the rim feels different - more "rounded" (as compared to the E14 that is so round it acutually feels flat)
Chadwick wrote:
-- How do the pieces feel/sound different on a Calicchio 1s/2?

I dont know - I played them on a L-bore, lightweight, all-purpose style horn.

I bought the Shew 1, 1.5 and 2 (in that order), with the intention of using "the right tool for the job", but ended up using the 1.5 for everything from lead to 4th.
One cannot expect to attain the highest point of exellence without hard work and perseverance.[...] Try to improve to some extent each day and to experience that satisfying pleasure in having conquered what at first seemed to be an impossibility! - Clarke
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing the Marcinkiewicz 1.5 for all around use and I think it's a super mouthpiece. But I recently got a hold of one of those stainless steel Giddings & Webster "Gil Kaupp" mouthpieces that they say is based off the Marcinkiewicz "Shew" 1. So far I'm finding it to be outstanding and I think I like it better than the 1.5. A little different rim than the 1.5 (haven't played the Marcink. #1) and a tad more shallow but it has a fuller, deeper sound. Has more "core" and seems easier to control. The stainless steel is different-- in a good way. Hard to explain, you'd just have to try it. I'd definitely recommend trying this "Kaupp" G&W if you're a fan of the Marcinkiewicz Shew line. You might like it.

http://www.king-cart.com/Giddingsandwebster/product=Gil+Kaupp+signature+trumpet+mouthpiece/exact_match=exact

By the way, I'm also using the Marcinkiewicz "Shew" BS-FL on flugel and I think it's probably the nicest playing flugel mouthpiece I've ever played-- a total surprise.
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses.

As suggested, I called the Marcinkiewicz company. They said that the Bobby Shew Mouthpieces (with exception to the Bobby Shew 2 / E5) all have step backbores, and are all the same. Therefore, the only difference between the 1.0 (E14), 1.25 (E10.3) and 1.5 (E9.1) is the cup depth and perhaps that corresponding interaction with the rim. All those figures are listed on their web-site.

Hope this helps the casual reader!
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both pieces regularly for big band lead when I have a long stretch with high range demands. I start with the E14 which works well for me if I am fresh and play with very little pressure. I find that it extends my time playing effectively in the upper range. Eventually I swell a little and the E14 becomes an air-ball shooter. At that point I switch to the larger cup of the E9 (or a JT 10s) and find that they can accommodate the swell and permit me to continue to play well in the lead role. Comparing the two cups they don't appear to be as different as they fell and perform. The E14 feels microscopic to me. The E9 feels larger by comparison that it appears visually and also takes a commiserate increase in air to support. The E9 allows me to play high with greater volume, the E14 with a little more sparkle. I agree with the previous poster that noted the difference in alpha angle between the two could create greater difference in "feel" than one would anticipate based simply on the specs.
mbailey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael manthey wrote:
... you might also try the Roger Ingram model. Ever so similar to the Shew #1.

True ... I just finished with a trial of those two, and at least for me, the Shew has a noticeably more open blow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: