• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benge (UMI) 90BL trumpet vs. UMI King 601

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redtrumpetman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Benge (UMI) 90BL trumpet vs. UMI King 601 Reply with quote

Anyone out there played both these horns or can tell me the difference between the two?
gord-o
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90BL is a professional model and the 601 is a student model.
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Benge (UMI) 90BL Trumpet vs UMI King 601 Reply with quote

Hello,I do not know anything about the Benge Horn. But the King Cleveland 601 Trumpet, whether made by H.N. White King,King Muscial Instrument Company(KMI), United Musical Instrument Company(UMI),or Conn Selmer King Company. The King 601 Trumpet was King's Student line of Trumpet.
The H.N. White King Cleveland 601 Trumpet may have been in a bore of .448. with nickel silver valves.

The KMI King Cleveland 601 Trumpet was a .458 bore,4 3/4 inch Bell. Had improved Mirro/Metric Nickel plated valves, Tone Tempered Bell with nickel trim.

The later UMI made Student King 601 trumpet may be the same as the King Conn Selmer ones. I believe these come in a .460 bore,with monel valves, Rose Brass lead pipe and nickel trim.

The oldest King Cleveland H.N. White 601's had single slot brass valve guides with the top outer spring action. The KMI's had nylon valve guides with top outer spring action. Not sure what the UMI ones had, for as type valve guides and top spring action set up.

The last make, Conn Selmer King 601 Trumpet, has top action, inner springs,and double nylon valve guides. Very similar to the Bach TR-300 valves set up. May be the same. That is about it on King Horns.

Maybe somebody else will have the rest of the info. on the Benge 90BL Trumpet. Other than the last made Conn Selmer Pro- King Legend Trumpet. Most King Trumpet Fans will not go beyond the KMI made King Horns.

Some own the UMI 2000 series of King Pro horns. I have read good and bad reports about them. Other than the King Legend Trumpet,I myself, prefer to stay with the H.N. White and KMI King made models.

Last edited by study888 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Benge 90B Leonore trumpet was designed in the early 1980s by Chuck Ward when he worked for King Musical Instruments in Eastlake, Ohio. It was specifically designed to compete with the Bach Strad. The 90B is a heavy horn with a very centered core sound. It is nothing like the light Benge X Series trumpets. The Benge 90B pre-dates the later Conn 52B and King 2070 Legend.

The Benge 90B trumpet (available in .459" and .462" bores) coincided with the introduction of the Benge Symphonic trombones. Unfortunately, these fine trumpets and trombones fell victim to the management decisions, consolidations, and product eliminations at UMI and Conn-Selmer, Inc.

Several pros in my area still play their 90Bs and they sound great on them.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90B Lenore any time any place just do not thinkit is going to sound or play like a Benge from Chicago or LA era different beast all together. It will and can hold it's own against any other domestic pro-horn like a Bach Strad for instance......I like them in .462 and I think the 90C Lenore is one of the best and easiest to play C trumpets ever built inthe USA! Definitely a better C trumpet then anything Bach has built (mass produced)ever!

Nothing wrong with the old King 601's other then they are not a pro sounding instrument. They are well built and sound great but not up to pro level and keep in mind this is coming from a person that does not care what the marketing term applied to a horn was at the time of it's introduction. If I think and intermediate or student horn plays like a pro-horn I have no problem saying so! It is I think a good intermediate horn and for most people that play a pro-horn they would not be able to tell as few Pro's purchase all those Bach Strad's being sold every year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: