• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Car Wax on Raw Brass Horn

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mdbri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Car Wax on Raw Brass Horn Reply with quote

What kind of car wax should I use on a raw brass horn?

Any particular kind/component I should stay away from?
Liquid, paste, spray-on?

Mind you, giving brand names will not help me much, since I do not live in the US, and brands are different here.

Thanks!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering, why do you want to use any wax on it?

Brad361
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use any products of this type- if you choose the raw brass road then you live with the horn tarnishing. I would hesitate to put any of these chemicals on my horn which will be absorbed by you when you play-that can't be good. If you want a shiny horn then go with lacquer.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
trumpetup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of people using car wax. The only caution I have heard is to stay away from a wax with silicone in it. It will leave a residue that will be very difficult to get off if was ever to be lacquered again.
Good Luck
Bobby
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Ortiz wrote:
I wouldn't use any products of this type- if you choose the raw brass road then you live with the horn tarnishing. I would hesitate to put any of these chemicals on my horn which will be absorbed by you when you play-that can't be good. If you want a shiny horn then go with lacquer.

Word.

If you want a raw brass horn - then use a raw brass horn and don't put any junk on it.

If you want a horn with a protective coating - get a lacquer or silver or gold horn.

Putting some kind of "coating" or "wax" or something on raw brass defeats the purpose of it and is very... a Red Green solution - for those of you who know.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd be a ok with a little ear wax or nose oil . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+A2216

This is what I use, works quite well to retard tarnish. To strip the wax, should the need arise, plain old acetone with take it right off.

FWIW, works just as well on lacquered finishes to really shine them up.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+A2216

This is what I use, works quite well to retard tarnish. To strip the wax, should the need arise, plain old acetone with take it right off.

FWIW, works just as well on lacquered finishes to really shine them up.

Since I don't want my brass to tarnish or absorb any compounds from the brass, I'll use some spray on some crazy chemicals to "protect" it and me, and then use even nastier chemicals to remove it when I want - Wow.

Feel free to carry on with it, I just felt the need to expose the absurdity of it.

I'm pretty sure all the unnecessary chemicals that American surround themselves with are having the collective affect of making the populace dumber. In a few generations they'll be selling a specialized spray for every possible use (and making loads of money off of it) - meanwhile people will be too dumb to do anything other than breathe. Immigrant labor will be required to change the channel because no one in the native population will have the ability to do it on their own, anymore.

Do as you will...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, neutral shoe wax.

"The notes are there - find them.ā€¯ Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
laurie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdbri
Its your horn,if you want to put a film of wax on it then do so. I rather like the effect of waxed brass(a "muted "glow, for want of a better term) and cant see why anyone would be so against the idea.
Any good quality,non abrasive car wax will do the job. Paste waxes usually do a good job.
I cant think of any potential health risks, and hot water and a strong detergent will remove it if need be. You wont need to use a solvent, unless you plan on having the horn lacquered.
Cheers
Laurie
Mdbri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Laurie, great reply.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Waxing Reply with quote

I have recommended car wax to give some resistance to tarnishing on my Scodwell USA trumpets if the person who owns it doesn't want to plate or lacquer the horn. My feelings on all of this is that a good carnuba car wax is inert when dry and polished and wouldn't have any reaction to contact with your hands. I would think that by now the regulating authorities would have required warnings on products such as this if any of the available products had shown to be toxic upon contact. Think for a moment what we are in contact with on a daily basis in our everyday lives and you might be inclined to become a Seinfeld "Bubble Boy".
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808
philosofriend
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson's furniture wax or (expensive) pure carnuba car waxes would be good. If you used a car wax with silicone, a person wanting to finish the horn in lacquer later would want to know. They would either need a superb cleaning system (a vapor degreaser) or use an additive called fisheye preventer. The silicone can cause wierd spots that look like... fisheyes.
RogersBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tony Scodwell

The first thing to consider is that if you want to keep your raw brass horn polished and clean...waxing the horn is not a cure for avoiding polishing it.
The brass will still oxidize and develop a patina even if it is waxed..it just happens at a slower rate.

Experienced metal sculptors in the artistic world who work with copper, bronze, and brass alloys..work with special chemicals to color the metal.
Metal patination with chemicals is a tool in the art world...just as paints and brushes. Johnson's Paste Wax has been the standard with metal sculptors for decades.

A patinated and waxed raw brass trumpet is beautiful.

The trumpet will not be harmed by using any automotive wax products. You can use hard paste wax for a base coat..then use spray wax to keep it wiped down...or forget the paste wax and just use the spray. Armor-All type sprays will even work..but you need to wipe down pretty good otherwise your trumpet may be slippery. Try anything you want..if you don't like..don't use it.

Raw brass is toxic for anyone with a brass allergy. I am not aware of any ongoing issues regarding people having allergies to wax products. If you are a person that has a skin allergy sensitivity to any products...then don't use it.

If anyone plans on lacquering the horn later on..the shops use hot vapor degreasers that will remove any wax or grease in about 10 seconds.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn - I'm with ya! And they call us crazy . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

Since I don't want my brass to tarnish or absorb any compounds from the brass, I'll use some spray on some crazy chemicals to "protect" it and me, and then use even nastier chemicals to remove it when I want - Wow.

Do as you will...

Last time I checked, carnauba wax was about as benign as it gets, hence my choice as opposed to some of the petroleum based waxes.

From Wiki

"Because of its hypoallergenic and emollient properties as well as its shine, carnauba wax appears as an ingredient in many cosmetics formulas where it is used to thicken lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, eye shadow, foundation, deodorant, various skin care preparations, sun care preparations, etc.[citation needed] It is also used to make Cutler's resin."
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is the last time you heard of someone getting ill, or having an allergic reaction while washing and waxing their car?

It's one thing to worry about exposure to chemicals, and another to be completely paranoid about things that have been in very wide use for decades without known harmful effects.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
When is the last time you heard of someone getting ill, or having an allergic reaction while washing and waxing their car?

It's one thing to worry about exposure to chemicals, and another to be completely paranoid about things that have been in very wide use for decades without known harmful effects.

Most chemicals don't cause an immediate reaction (like an allergy). The strong and nasty ones do - but they're not like an "allergy." You just get dizzy and a headache. Any allergy comparison is a stupid one.

The real danger in these everyday chemicals is constant exposure to them - long term. The effect of all the various unnecessary things that people use (like anyone needs Ammonia to wash windows!) is cumulative. No - waxing your car probably won't make you sick. No - using some kind of shower cleaner in the bathroom won't make you sick (though some of them are quite strong). It's the cumulative effect of all these thousands of products that Americans use and surround themselves with everyday that's not good for you.

The argument about "things being around and in use for decades" is also flawed. Knowledge of the effects of chemicals usually lags far behind their usage. Lead was used for a long time to seal canned goods - exposing people to harmful amounts before it's harmful effects were discovered. It's a difficult process to firmly establish health risks for various chemicals - and one that is rarely aided and often obstructed by the industry that produces them.

So, I only say - read the ingredient or contents and make your own decisions. It's possible a given brand of car wax does not have anything to be concerned about. However, people rarely bother to even check. I find the willful ignorance of most Americans about such things troubling, frustrating, and amusing. They blindly trust anything that is put up in the shelves of a store, a behavior that citizens elsewhere do not share.

Honestly, I don't care what you use or exposure yourself to (just don't do it near me). Your personal health is of little concern to me. Do as you wish.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:

Last time I checked, carnauba wax was about as benign as it gets, hence my choice as opposed to some of the petroleum based waxes.

Well, apparently, you've given this more thought than the average bear. Good for you! (seriously!)
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
RogersBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn,

Thank you for the heads up on what is stupid..and for pointing out the ignorance of Americans. We are fortunate that you have shared with us your inspiring insight and knowledge...and also for your approval that we be allowed to make our own choices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: