• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The 'Basic Caruso' studies - quality of sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alon cohen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: The 'Basic Caruso' studies - quality of sound Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been doing these studies for two months now, and wanted to know what is the importance of focusing on the quality of sound while practicing these studies. Since I've started, my tone quality during these studies progressed only by a little. The sound is small, tight, fuzzy and not centered properly, especially on the 'Six notes', 'Seconds' and 'Harmonics'. My intuition tells me I should aim towards an airy, and of course centered sound, but until now, I practiced with the hope that in time these studies will do their work on their own, and among other things, tone quality will improve gradually.
I understand that the main objective of these studies is not sound quality, but I'm worried that my sound might be telling me that I'm not practicing these right.

On the other hand, I have a feeling that when playing other material, my sound is improving a little. (although it is hard to tell without a feedback of a teacher or others)

My routine also includes: whisper tones, pedals, lip buzzing, mouthpiece work, flexibility exercises and patterns over scales.

Thanks,

Alon
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Caruso exercises (only) sound means nothing and you are not to pay any attention to sound.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry is right. During CC calisthenic practice the quality of sound means NOTHING. The only thing that means anything is TIMING (rhythm).

Don't aim for an airy sound. Do not aim for any kind of sound at all!

...and do not use your quality of sound during calisthenic practice as an evaluative criteria. Over time practicing these studies will improve your quality of sound WHEN YOU PLAY MUSIC.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it suggested not to use Caruso approach (disregaruding quality of sound) to other methods (ie: Maggio)?
PH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caruso exercise instructions are for Caruso exercises only. If you are doing other kinds of drills or routines you should do them the way THOSE exercises are designed to be done.

When I'm doing my Adam stuff I do it the way I was taught by Adam. When I'm doing my Thompson stuff I do it the way I learned it from Alex Yates. When I do my Caruso stuff I do it the way Carmine showed me. The purposes of the drills are different (but compatible IMO). The procedure of how you play an exercise or routine is an inextricable part of what that routine is.
JazzRetreats.com
PH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, record yourself when you are practicing music. Over time you will hear the improvements.
JazzRetreats.com
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play the exercises without pinching your lips so hard, also take a free, relaxed breath.
tpsiebs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, you should not strive for a particular quality of sound but rather concentrate on the "how" you are performing the exercises. Doing it correctly will ultimately render musical results but it is more important that the mechanics are correct first.
jbtpt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Caruso you really have to trust his instructions and do the exercises in total faith. It does work and the results only show up when you are playing music and performing. The key is in the timing and trusting the instructions from the great man.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most of the exercises we practice, performance attributes are part of the equation. For Caruso exercises, mechanics - coordination and timing - are the goal, and their improvement makes for better performance.

An analogy would be an athlete doing calisthenics or weight training. They don't care about how pretty they look when they do this work. They do it because they know it will make for better performance on the field.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: