• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Austin Stage470LT Bb Trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Austin Stage470LT Bb Trumpet Reply with quote

Has anyone tried one? Any reviews?

Thanks
irith
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have. They're pretty nice; VERY open if that's your thing. Valves didn't quite feel like what I prefer, though they were perfectly fine. The sound was a little on the dull side for me personally, YMMV. I felt like I had to work very hard to project.
Fast articulation, especially multiple tonguing, feels very easy on it.

Solid horns and I know several people that love them, but nothing that convinced me to switch.
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Note: it's the Austin Winds Stage470LT...you might want to change your subject header)

I bought one earlier this year and love it. I posted a review at one point--use the search to find it.

This trumpet works best for me with the heavy caps and valve stems, unlike some horns. It's heavy toward the face and has a large, light bell. Mine has the bronze bell, which I imagine is a little darker sound than the brass.

I recently recorded myself on this trumpet and also on a light, bright Olds Special that has been restored by DQ. I sent the sound files to an excellent trumpeter (who also posts here) and although he correctly identified which horn was which, he said it wasn't easy and to me I sound almost exactly the same on both.

In other words, feedback to the player on the AW trumpet sounds darker and more diffuse than it does out front. In the upper register it really sizzles. (If I can upload some snippets to my website I'll post a few clips here but I'm having trouble with uploads for some reason.)

Anyway--it's an excellent horn for my purposes and has a huge, rich sound. It's a .470" bore but doesn't feel enormous. Their modular mouthpieces are also excellent, and competitively priced. I'm using a medium cup and a tightish backbore.

Being a Kanstul-made horn, it has amazing fit and finish. Valves are excellent and quite well aligned, but I'll still get a PVA soon. First and 3rd valve slides are smooth and I like the stops on each one.

Here it is:

https://vectortrio.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by mulligan stew on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:12 am; edited 2 times in total
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mulligan stew wrote:
(Note: it's the Austin Winds Stage470LT...you might want to change your subject header)

I bought one earlier this year and love it. I posted a review at one point--use the search to find it.

This trumpet works best for me with the heavy caps and valve stems, unlike some horns. It's heavy toward the face and has a large, light bell. Mine has the bronze bell, which I imagine is a little darker sound than the brass.

I recently recorded myself on this trumpet and also on a light, bright Olds Special that has been restored by DQ. I sent the sound files to an excellent trumpeter (who also posts here) and although he correctly identified which horn was which, he said it wasn't easy and to me I sound almost exactly the same on both.

In other words, feedback to the player on the AW trumpet sounds darker and more diffuse than it does out front. In the upper register it really sizzles. (If I can upload some snippets to my website I'll post a few clips here but I'm having trouble with uploads for some reason.)

Anyway--it's an excellent horn for my purposes and has a huge, rich sound. It's a .470" bore but doesn't feel enormous. Their modular mouthpieces are also excellent, and competitively priced. I'm using a medium cup and a tightish backbore.

Being a Kanstul-made horn, it has amazing fit and finish. Valves are excellent and quite well aligned, but I'll still get a PVA soon. First and 3rd valve slides are smooth and I like the stops on each one.

Here it is:

Scott ... thanks for the insight. I have really been working hard with my horns over the last 2 years. As I am progressing, I'm thinking that the ML's that I have are all tight. I played a Kanstul Burbank 6x that was extreme for me at the time. Granted leadpipes, wraps and bells all come into play. I am back to thinking about a larger bore horn ... I'm wondering if the Austin Winds is the one or not. I will be looking closer in the next month or so. Is this a light weight horn??
Have you played larger Martin's or Olds? If so, how does the AW compare?
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As pictured, it's not really a light horn. But with the standard caps on it, it's a little heavier than then average trumpet. It has a heavy receiver but a light bell. (It comes with standard and heavy caps.)

I've played on a few other large-bore trumpets over the years, but this one doesn't really feel "large." I take Schilke's advice on bore size: it's irrelevant. There are many other factors affecting the blow.

There are three bells available--brass, bronze, and copper. I have the bronze but if you want a slightly brighter sound, go for the brass.

In short, it's open, but not huge, and is very versatile. Kanstul knows how to make a trumpet and the guys at Austin Winds knew what they were doing when they designed it.

KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be posting some tunes using this horn? Am considering the bronze 470LT and would be nice to hear what it sounds like.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=" I take Schilke's advice on bore size: it's irrelevant.[/quote] this is true ... only if it works ... there are set ups that are just not right. I've several Kanstul horns and trust them. I am looking for a horn that is going to be a bit more versitile than what I've got. Thanks for the insight ... if you can, I'd like to hear you playing it.
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Austin Winds Trumpet Reply with quote

I just got one in today with the bronze bell. At first blow it sounded very dark as compared to my Yamaha 8335RGS. This horn gets brighter as you get louder. So, if your playing a ballad at P or PP it's very dark. It you are playing at a mf or f it starts to cut and gets brighter. I have to say I like that in my sound. All of the dynamics are much better on this horn. The PP are softer and darker sounding, and the FF are huge compared to the Yamaha.

Jim
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely with bebop about the sound color and dynamics.

Here's a short sound clip I recorded on my Zoom. I was 12 feet away and it still distorted...there's no digital reverb or anything on the clip. It's a short improv designed to test volume levels, low and high range, etc...it ain't art. I was using an AW mouthpiece with an M cup and the #6 (rather tight) backbore.

http://www.vectortrio.com/audio/VECTOR_TRIO-horn_test.m3u

Also, the first minute or so of this video below features the Austin Winds trumpet. It was recorded a month or so ago at the Sonic circuits festival in DC...we're an avant/experimental trio, so some of the trumpet technique I use here may not be appropriate on a Latin gig or with your community band...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-39OlFTi51g

(how does one embed video??)

Last edited by mulligan stew on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
The Kraken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your recording, however I was wondering if you could record a mellow soft ballad and then take it up slowely to the higher range to hear the horn dynamics alittle better. I am also thinking of this horn and sure am curious, I live on the Gold Coast soTexas is a stretch to try one out.

Unless someone knows of a place where I can try one of these babies out close to the 805 Area code.

Thank You of you decide to do it.
Comeback Player end date: Till Death Do Us Part
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'll do it this weekend.

I'll mess with mic (Zoom) placement a little too.

KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uuuuuhhhhhhh - that is sounding pretty good. My interest in the 470LT bronze bell just went up a notch.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Austin Winds Trumpet Reply with quote

Scott,
Mine came with just the Austin Winds Heavy bottom caps from their extra trim kit. Do the heavy top caps and stems help much. If yes, how are they different from the ones that come on it?
Jim
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not necessarily a fan of heavy caps. I tried some on a Schilke B1 some years ago and it killed the horn. But on the AW trumpet they seem to work with the horn's natural tendencies, not against them. I'd say they make the upper register lock in easier and help focus the sound and core.

Note that the bottom caps come as a set--top, bottom, valve stems, and buttons. These bottom caps are heavier than the heavy set that came with your horn. I tried them on a lark and loved them instantly.

I also think they improve feedback to the player, which is important.

The Kraken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mulligan stew wrote:
I'm not necessarily a fan of heavy caps. I tried some on a Schilke B1 some years ago and it killed the horn. But on the AW trumpet they seem to work with the horn's natural tendencies, not against them. I'd say they make the upper register lock in easier and help focus the sound and core.

Note that the bottom caps come as a set--top, bottom, valve stems, and buttons. These bottom caps are heavier than the heavy set that came with your horn. I tried them on a lark and loved them instantly.

OK. I'm lost what to the caps do or don't do for you anyway.
Comeback Player end date: Till Death Do Us Part
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kraken wrote:
mulligan stew wrote:

OK. I'm lost what to the caps do or don't do for you anyway.

I bolded what I think they do for me. To restate, I feel they make the upper register lock in easier, they focus the overall sound, and they improve the feedback to me.

But these are very subtle effects. The trumpet comes with standard and heavy bottom caps as is--I'd advise experimenting with those, and later, if the heavy bottom caps improve your playing experience, get the heavy trim kit.

bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Austin winds Trumpet Reply with quote

Scott,
Do you think I should get the top heavy caps-buttons and stems. The horn plays plays really good with just the heavy bottom caps from Harrilson (trim kit).
Jim
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Austin winds Trumpet Reply with quote

bebop wrote:
Scott,
Do you think I should get the top heavy caps-buttons and stems. The horn plays plays really good with just the heavy bottom caps from Harrilson (trim kit).
Jim

It's really your call. I like the results, but the horn plays and sounds great with the standard weight trim. Maybe see if the AW guys would let you get a set on trial? (I don't know if they do this, just a thought.)

oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingSilverSonic wrote:
Uuuuuhhhhhhh - that is sounding pretty good. My interest in the 470LT bronze bell just went up a notch.

+1!!!
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kraken wrote:
I like your recording, however I was wondering if you could record a mellow soft ballad and then take it up slowely to the higher range to hear the horn dynamics alittle better. I am also thinking of this horn and sure am curious, I live on the Gold Coast soTexas is a stretch to try one out.

Unless someone knows of a place where I can try one of these babies out close to the 805 Area code.

Thank You of you decide to do it.

hey The Kraken--here you go. Not really a ballad, but an improv that follows your directions.

The first lick was recorded only a few feet from the Zoom--then I moved back to about 10 feet and stayed there throughout the improv. Hope this helps you hear the horn's characteristics.

http://www.vectortrio.com/audio/VECTOR_TRIO-test_3.m3u

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: