• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 60B!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Um, yeah, that's what I meant. Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was talking about....wow, nice setup!

Thanks man! Had to assemble it piecemeal. The horn and case came from Salt Lake City and was beyond a doubt the most precarious eBay transaction I have ever participated in.

The mute bag came from Martin Michaels in Rochester at the same time everyone here was lambasting the guy over his $5000 harmon mute! Remember?

I swapped a '56 two page Connstellation ad for the gig bag with one of the guys in my section who has a '69 lacquer with a factory trigger.

The contents of the accessory case were topped up 'one thing here another there.' The most difficult was the paper insert for which I paid $100 to get the guy to part with it. Actually, it was a good deal, because in order to get one I likely would have had to buy a horn, and pay tax at the border, and then resell it, maybe at a loss. I figured a C note was well worth avoiding that whole hassle.

It is a part of my collection of which I am very proud, but as a collector horn it doesn't get played a lot; just once-in-a-while followed by a thorough cleaning! Bozzaman, I envy you having one you can pick up and blow whenever you want!

Here's a scan from the '67 catalog . . .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Conn 60B Trumpet Reply with quote

I bought a Conn 60B when I was in Junior High. The purchase, from the best I can remember, would have been around December of 68 or January 69. The serial number is K43538. Can anyone help me pin down a year or year and moth of production for the horn?
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K means 1967 which jives well with your purchase date recollection as often (but not always) there was a considerable time lag between manufacture and sale. My first horn, a 15B with serial number N50XXX, was made in 1970, but was not purchased until August of 1972.

The serial #s with the prefix C through R are very difficult to pin down to even an approximate month. Before and after these years it's fairly easy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: 60b Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and information. Again, if memory serves me right, this was horn was make in Elkhart and before the purchase of the company.

I'm new to this forum, so if this question has been asked before, please be kind and don't frill me too hard. The trumpet is the silver model and needs to be refinished in a couple of small areas. Are there any shops, that stand out in anyone's mind that does a good job on refinishing a Conn trumpeet?
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a 60B in silver with a story. Bought it from grandson of Reanauld Jones sr.He played lead for Basie for a couple years in the 40s or 50s, was also Nat King Coles trumpeter. Story is the Conn was a gift from Quincy Jones (they were in a group back in the day called "The Jones Boys"). Not sure what to do with it so it just sits in my garage, I never cleaned it because of the history attached to it. ?

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Um, yeah, that's what I meant. Reply with quote

Greenleaf wrote:

That's rather disgusting. It comes with finger tips? Did they have Dexter Morgan working for them back then?

Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Um, yeah, that's what I meant. Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
That's rather disgusting. It comes with finger tips? Did they have Dexter Morgan working for them back then?

Actually, they're not too bad with a little salsa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Con 60B - Sixty B Reply with quote

Hi all

I buyed a Conn 60 Sixty-B 1967 Lacquer version. I only have un set of finger tip.

Can tou help me and post some photos of the 3 set of fingers tip?

what are the main differences?

thanks all for your help
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacquer horns had lacquer finger buttons. These will be difficult to find. You'll probably have to settle for nickel plate.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: thank you very much Reply with quote

I have the 3rd one: Plain

I don't see the differences between concave and flat.
look the same...

?
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concave (goes in like a dish), Plain (convex, rounded, sticks up), Flat (like piss on a platter) I think these were the three different 'feels' CONN was trying to achieve.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenleaf wrote:
Concave (goes in like a dish), Plain (convex, rounded, sticks up), Flat (like piss on a platter) I think these were the three different 'feels' CONN was trying to achieve.

yes, but what about the sound? any real differences? or is only about confort?

regards
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desmo wrote:
yes, but what about the sound? any real differences? or is only about confort? regards

I can't imagine it would affect the sound . I believe, as you suggest, comfort only!
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

do you know with rebuild kit are compatible?

I want to buy one from bandroom but they don't have the one for Conn 60B

regards
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

desmo wrote:

regards

I think the 16B kit will work but the top felts are red. The 60B came with black felts
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzaman wrote:
Hey, I've got one of those gig bags. So THATS what it came with. Not a great gig bag-almost no padding at all. But I have used it. Not for precious stuff.

Me too! It was my first gig bag, bought it used maybe 25 years ago? I still have it somewhere ...

-- Joe
desmo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

Greenleaf wrote:
desmo wrote:

regards

I think the 16B kit will work but the top felts are red. The 60B came with black felts

if is only the color I don't care. But what about the spring and the rest?
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

desmo wrote:
if is only the color I don't care. But what about the spring and the rest?

The 60B and the 16B have valves of the same design. I cannot say it will work for 100% sure as I have not tried it, but it is the kit that I would buy if I was going to buy one. If you're really worried about it take your horn to your local repair guy. Best of luck!

Last edited by Greenleaf on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amusedmaj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: CONN 60B Reply with quote

I have a CONN 60B that belonged to my father. He got it in 1969 (It has an L series serial number so it's probably from 1968?)

He gave it to me when I started playing and it's been my primary "axe" for 20 years. I had to have some work on it during college, the lead pipes were notorious for cracking and that's what happened to mine. But, once repaired it was back to normal and got me through music school just fine. It is in great condition and I still have every accessory that it came with back in 1968.

It's a good horn, built at a time when companies weren't cutting corners on materials. If you've got one hold on to it!
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzaman:

My Sixty-B is a 1969. I've been playing my Connstellation the most recently. (It's a forty-year love-hate relationship!) Both of my Conns have the "CONNcave" finger buttons.

Enjoy your new 60B!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763

Last edited by plankowner110 on Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: