• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Constellation: Mouthpiece??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tudorbug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: "Constellation: Mouthpiece?? Reply with quote

Some months ago, I purchased a mid-sixties Bach 37 Stradivarius. Included in its Bach case was a mouthpiece marked "Constellation" and this mouhtpiece has a sort of flare out to its rim from its shank that I see on the CONN mouthpiece with my Victor 6B (Early Model).

Does anyone know if this Constellation mouthpiece might belong with a Conn Contellation trumpet? Or, is the marking of the mouthpiece and the existence of such trumpets tikely to be no more than coincidental?

I send thanks for any ideas.

David
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Connstellation trumpets and cornets (and other top-of-the-line Conn instruments) had bespoke mouthpieces.

There were a raft of 'em on sale recently on ebay, and to learn more about their history dig into 'the conn loyalist' website. It is a treasure-trove of information.

Like the Olds' i've had, it is entirely likely that the horns play best with the mouthpieces matched to them and designed for them, so you might find a buyer. But how's it play for you? Proof's in the pudding.

Modern mouthpiece makers produce (and reproduce) awesome stuff, yet within their era I'd wager that the in-house cooks best seasoned the stew.
tudorbug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connicalman, I thank you for you reply. I know that answers take time.

Do you play a CONN trumpet and, if so, does that include a Constellation?

David
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a NOS (new old stock) Connstellation trumpet mouthpiece a few years ago. I like the way it looks (and plays) in my '60 Conn 6B Victor. The copper, silver, and gold look great together. The Connstellation mouthpiece is noticably heavier than other Conn mouthpieces of the era, and I suspect the throat and backbore are a little different, too.

tudorbug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale, hard to tell, but I think mine is silver only. I need to give it a polish. This one is well worn with little dents on its shank rather than NOS. But, its shape is llke yours.

David
Albert Parrott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tudorbug wrote:
Dale, hard to tell, but I think mine is silver only. I need to give it a polish. This one is well worn with little dents on its shank rather than NOS. But, its shape is llke yours.

David

I have not seen a Connstellation mouthpiece that was not gold plated on the upper portion. Be careful with the polish since metal polish can remove any gold plating that might be present. If it has been polished in the past, that might explain the silver appearance.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tudorbug wrote:
Connicalman, I thank you for you reply. I know that answers take time.

Do you play a CONN trumpet and, if so, does that include a Constellation?

David

Hi David & welcome. You'll find many good answers and people here. I was lucky to find a CONNstellation long cornet (model 28A) for low $ as a BuyItNow on an online auction a few years ago, right before New Year's day. That cornet is virtually identical to the 38B trumpet, except for the special taper of the lead pipe, the receiver, and of course, the mouthpiece. It can light it up or get real mellow, mouthpiece dependant.

Because I liked the 28A so much, I also got a less expensive CONNquest, a trumpet, model 77B. That is a decent number, with a lead pipe that makes the most of the skills of a comebacker like me. The most common mouthpiece for the Connquest trumpet (& 76A cornet too) seems to be the 4, however with the Connstellation you'll find them numbered 3, 5, 7, and 9.

There's guys who know lots more than me, but I tend to agree with Dale about the overall characteristics of the Connquest mouthpiece being different, for trumpet and cornet too.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Back "in the day," I fell in love with the LINE of Conn "Connstellation" mouthpieces.

They had an "N" series and a "W" series. The "W" series worked wonders for me and I loved the 9BW and 9CW the most.

Years later, before parting with them, I measured the inner cup diameter . . . and it was equivalent to a Bach 10 1/2C inner rim width. I was shocked it was so narrow. Then again, if it was marked 10 1/2 lots of folks like me would never have tried it . . . and would have missed out on its beautiful, rich sound!
tudorbug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the additional information, from all of you.

I did take the mouthpiece out and it does have at least the remnants of a gold appearance on part of the shank. I suspect it has been polished and some of the gold removed.

David
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
...They had an "N" series and a "W" series. The "W" series worked wonders for me and I loved the 9BW and 9CW the most...

Hey Tom, I have a 9CW trumpet mouthpiece and that thing will peel paint, with a big full sound. Good for big band and latin music - definitely a keeper! I tend to like the "W" rims better in the Connstellation line - they make a "smaller" mouthpiece perform with the big sound of a larger mouthpiece while still having the ease of play and endurance of a smaller one.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they were great mouthpieces! I hope my former ones are still getting lots of use!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: