• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 37 trumpet.(Question from absolutely and tatally beginn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rurare

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am bidding on Ebay for Bach 37.
1)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2554097447&category=41400

2)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2554944062&category=41400

#1 produced around 1960 and #2 looks new one.

Is mamufacture year is very important factor to select Bach 37? I mean..old one is better than new one like martin committee trumpet? -I found in trumpetherald that many people prefer Vintage martin committee produced around 1930's. Also, some prefer 1945~1960 produced. Not only martin committee but also king,,and many of them.

Most Bach 37 on Ebay have ML bore and silver colour. I don't see many differences on these Bach 37.

I believe Bach 37 works as good Jazz horn. However, I want to now what important factor should be carried to choose Bach 37.

Produced Year is not important?
Bach 37 only refers and means to BACH STRADIVARIUS Bb TRUMPETS 180 -37 rather than L180 or LR 180? -Ebay seller have higher tendency to put their Ad as "Bach 37" rather than Bach 180 series-37, whcih make me a litte confuse.
Do you think L180 and LR 180 don't have 37 bell size?
Does Jazz player prefer 180 -37 rather than L180 or LR 180? Can you comment why Jazz player prefer 37 bell?

Honestly, all I know is from http://www.selmer.com

Many Thnaks,

D.H.AHn

P.S:
Which one you prefer between #1 and #2
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both mention bell repairs but don't show any closeups. You cannot really tell what you are bidding on from either one of these photos.

Mike
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally...i prefer the one wit the silver plating. hehehe.

but both of the instruments look in good shape. i wouldn't hesitate to bid for any of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BrassGringo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd go with the 60's bach.....in my experience older bach play better and get a better sound. Newer bach seem to have quality control problems. The best new bach is just a good old bach. Just my opinion.
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bach 37 does generally mean 180-37. L180 is a lightweight model, and LR180 is lightweight with a reverse leadpipe. They still have the 37 Bell. Also, the 37 Bell is the standard, "all-around" bell, not specifically for jazz, but could certainly work. I believe the 72 plays darker, and the other (42 I believe....) brighter than the 37, but I'm not positive on this last bit.

Anyway, that should answer your questions. Finally, go for the 60s Bach. Generally much better players. Although the newer ones that can be had can play excellent, many are dogs, and it is unwise to shell out that much money for one unplayed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the last pages down on this PDF file from Selmer is the model numbers and specs of each horn.

http://www.selmer.com/brass/stradtrp/images/STRADTRP.PDF

Near the bottom of this PDF file, there is a Specifications page that sets out the various Bb models. None of them are in the format of L180 exactly, so I would be careful that you are bidding on what you think you want. 180M is a seldom seen medium bore horn, 180ML is the more common medium large bore and 180L is the large bore horn. The letters LR together refer to reverse leadpipe and LT is lightweight.

As for the 37 being good for jazz, it is used for just about every kind of playing. It is a fairly general purpose horn.

Good luck.

Mike

[ This Message was edited by: bgwbold on 2003-09-01 14:50 ]
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also go with the one that was produced around 1960. Since you can't really play it before you buy it, your chances might be better with the older one.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your experience with horns from the early to mid 80s and back? Mine has been fine with anything from early 80-something on back, almost all Elkhart horns.

Mike
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything past the mid to late 70's and Bachs seem to become more inconsistent. Some are very fine and some are very bad. I don't know if there was a personnel change somewhere around this date but they sure did become inconsistent.

Again, I reinforce if you have a choice the 60's models are generally excellent horns. I have two Bachs - a 1971 vintage and a 1955 vintage Mt. Vernon. Both are terrific horns. The Mt. Vernon is heavier and slightly darker sounding.

Good Hunting!

Mike

ps. The seller of one of the Bachs has no feedback and this makes me a little nervous.

[ This Message was edited by: Trptbenge on 2003-09-01 16:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Trptbenge on 2003-09-01 16:29 ]
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1960's one looks a lot like my 1966 "not quite Mt Vernon Strat" which I paid $1600 for and has a 39xxx serial no. The seller described it: "It has a beautiful sound with a pure centered core. It responds very quickly and literally "plays" itself." and I can only agree with him on that. I'd suggest you email the seller and ask questions, that's what I did and it was obvious my seller was a pro musician who knew his horns, very helpful, sent extra pictures etc. I'm happy with the horn and the price. I could have bought a new Strat for that much but I don't think I'd have got a better one.

Mark
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with 60s Strad. I play a 1972 and it is a fine instrument. I have played earlier ones that also were players. Of the 80s and middle 90s, some were excellent, most very good with a few dogs thrown in.

HTH,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love my new strad, I would seriously advise against buying one online. Although the one I have plays perfectly for me, I had to go through about 10 others which felt like they had socks jammed in the bell, and whose valves were awful. I'm not sure about the older trumpets re: consistency, and you might get lucky with a new one that plays really nicely, but be careful - after all, there must be a reason these things are being sold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: