• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roger Ingram Model Jupiter XO Trumpet 1600I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine last week- a trial return "blemish" from a major retailer at a screamin price. I looked Really Closely- no blemish anywhere that I could find.

It's fabulous- design, construction, appearance- And it PLAYS!

I've always sounded and played best on the medium bore horns. This was like stepping into old shoes.

The brochure for the "nodal stabilizers" (formerly Tru Bore inserts) was not in the case, but I was able to contact Jupiter and they sent me a PDF of the document.

If anyone needs a copy pm me at mark@currympc.com. I'll send it out.

I found the document very informative- it explains Everything!

MC
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Curry wrote:
The brochure for the "nodal stabilizers" (formerly Tru Bore inserts) was not in the case, but I was able to contact Jupiter and they sent me a PDF of the document.

I found the document very informative- it explains Everything!
MC

Well, almost everything. I received a pdf of the brochure today as well, with the help of Roger Ingram.

I'm assuming the nodal stabilizers go into the female ends of the tubing. Meaning the top one goes into the tuning slide and the bottom one goes into the horn. This would make sense, but it does not state this in the brochure.

I'm going to give them a shot tonight and see how they work out.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stabilizers DO go in the female tubing. Imagine them as extensions of the male slide tubing, inserted to fill the space between the pulled slide and the internal ridge it sits against when not pulled.

So you pull the slide out, insert one into each female part (top - tuning slide and bottom - leadpipe section between tuning slide and 3rd valve), then push them into place with the slide.

This assumes a well-designed trumpet where, when the tuning slide is closed, there is a flush, no-ID change, transition between tubing sections.
trompeta.1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Roger Ingram Model Jupiter XO Trumpet 1600I Reply with quote

I picked up my 1600I model trumpet from Dillon Music a few days ago and love the way it plays! The accessory kit is a nice touch because it allows you to customize the horn. It certainly plays bigger than I expected for a medium horn.

I'm keeping this one!

Ray
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: 7 weeks with my 1600I Reply with quote

I'm hoping some of you other guys out there got yours' by now. I got lucky on eBay and got a "blemish return" for a song!

I've had my 1600I for 7 weeks now. Being one of the very first to be shipped, it did Not come with the inserts (Tru-bore, or as they are now known, The "XO Nodal Stabilizers", so I had the benefit of learning the horn without them.

Brent Rosborough of Jupiter sent them out to me as soon as they became available. I've now been using the 1/2" long stabilizers in top and bottom tubes for about 3 weeks as my pull on the tuning slide is about 3/4".

Air column resistance is much smoother and predictable from the low to high registers. The slots above high C are more clearly defined and the High G to A break is Much Easier to navigate up into the double range.

Sure, there is a slight trade-off in total volume using the inserts, but it's hardly noticeable.

What projects out of this horn is the core of the sound, not a bright edge. I can almost feel my section-mates cringe when I want to bear down on a particular passage, such is the weight of sound, ridiculous, like a .50 caliber.

FWIW, I found that I needed a slightly deeper cup and bigger backbore with this horn. It balances the medium bore better and I have more control of dynamics and color. The deeper cup also gives me more control of this horn's lightning quick response.

The stainless pistons haven't caused me a lick of trouble. Fact is, I haven't even needed to wipe them off or swab the casings yet. Someday, probably I'll do it, just for kicks. For now, just fast and silky.

Do I dig this horn?

Yep!

Is it a great value?

Yep!

MC
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 weeks with my 1600I Reply with quote

Mark Curry wrote:
I got lucky on eBay and got a "blemish return" for a song!

Mind if I ask what the blemish was?
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He answered this already upthread...

"I looked Really Closely- no blemish anywhere that I could find. "
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered one today brand new for $860 (an amazing clearance price), should be ready for pickup by this Friday! Score!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
forrest
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intrepidpooch wrote:
Just ordered one today brand new for $860 (an amazing clearance price), should be ready for pickup by this Friday! Score!!!!!!

wow! Where?
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend is a manager at Music & Arts and he called me to let me know the Ingram horn appeared on a holiday clearance memo that came out this past week at 60% off. I definitely hopped on that deal as I have had my eye on that horn for quite a while. I'm really stoked about finally getting to play it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
forrest
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be gone now - I couldn't find it.

Thanks.
trptkevin2924

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: nodal stabilizers no longer needed? Reply with quote

I just ordered mine from washington music and was told that do to factory retooling the stabilizers are no longer included nor needed. Does any one know any more about that?

TIA

Kevin
trptkevin2924

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: nodal stabilizers no longer needed? Reply with quote

trptkevin2924 wrote:
I just ordered mine from washington music and was told that do to factory retooling the stabilizers are no longer included nor needed. Does any one know any more about that?

TIA

Kevin

Never mind, it just arrived with a note saying they were mistaken
trumpet1256

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 1600I Trumpet (Roger Ingram) Reply with quote

I picked up my Jupiter 1600I on December 8th and when I went in to play test it I couldn't beleive how good it was out of the box ! My hat is off to Roger for his involvement of the design of this horn. In the past I have played on a Yamaha 6310z, 8310z and Schilke S42 modified horn but nothing, I mean nothing compares to this quality, intonation, scale, balance of Bell Bore leadpipe combination I have played for the style that I desire. The kit it comes with is a great tool for your own customization of an already great horn. I personally like the brass valve guides, regular finger buttons, regular valve springs, regular bottom valve caps and the Nodal inserts that really keep the horn slotting and focused. The Jupiter company is making excellent XO series trumpets that enhance the professional arena of play with a great product that anyone can appreciate.

Jon A.
Jupiter 1600I
Marcinkiewicz Ingram #30 drill
Marcinkiewicz Shew 1.5
Yamaha Shew Jazz
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one of these. Very first impression, after only a brief play test so far (I had to play flugel a lot today instead) is that I can not believe how ridiculously easy the upper register is on this horn. Maybe it's a honeymoon effect having to do with the smaller bore size than I'm used to, but it's just effortless up high on a Curry 3C.

I'm really looking forward to spending a lot more time with it, but it seems like a very sweet horn. The 1st and 3rd valve slide travel is literally perfect out of the box. Hard to make an excuse for not using them when they are aligned and operate so smoothly.

Then on top of that, you throw in the ridiculously low price for a horn that plays so well and it seems like a very nice package.

I haven't even had time to play with all extra goodies that came with it, buttons, bore inserts, caps, and the other tuning slide (I've only played the "D" slide so far). Looking forward to more experimentation.
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine 6 months now- keeps getting better and better. I've found that I needed a slightly deeper cup and bigger backbore to help it sing.

Probably a normal transition from a ML Yamaha 8335 RGS to the medium bore 1600I.

Amazing thing is the valves- I've only had to wipe off the pistons and casings once. The stainless steel pistons are very, very silky!

I like the metal buttons, D slide with the heavy springs and brass guides with both the .5" XONS inserted. if anybody cares...

mc
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Curry wrote:
I've had mine 6 months now- keeps getting better and better. I've found that I needed a slightly deeper cup and bigger backbore to help it sing.

Probably a normal transition from a ML Yamaha 8335 RGS to the medium bore 1600I.

Amazing thing is the valves- I've only had to wipe off the pistons and casings once. The stainless steel pistons are very, very silky!

I like the metal buttons, D slide with the heavy springs and brass guides with both the .5" XONS inserted. if anybody cares...

mc

Sounds great Mark! I can't keep these horns in stock at the shop. They are one of the best deals around and really play great. They are sure fun to play as well!
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
altamira_28
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ordering mine this week. I'm in the Army band, and that means I perform in chamber, jazz, concert and marching settings, as well as bugling for military funerals. I'm gonna put this sucker through the ringer and give a heckuva review. I'm playing currently on a 6310z, and from what I'm hearing, should LOVE this horn.

From what I can tell thus far, with the introduction of the XO series, Jupiter is trying to become the next Yamaha in terms of innovation and attention to detail. That's great for me. Whomever has the best all-around horn for the price, I'll keep 'em in business.

Greetings from Fort Benning!
XO Brass Tribune 1622 C Trumpet
Jupiter Tribune 1220 Bb Cornet
Jupiter 1700S
Monette B3S3, C3S3, B4LS1, B4LSS1, B4LVS1, BP6, Bob Reeves 43WF, Denis Wick 3B Heavy Top Cornet
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

altamira_28 wrote:
I'm ordering mine this week. I'm in the Army band, and that means I perform in chamber, jazz, concert and marching settings, as well as bugling for military funerals. I'm gonna put this sucker through the ringer and give a heckuva review. I'm playing currently on a 6310z, and from what I'm hearing, should LOVE this horn.

From what I can tell thus far, with the introduction of the XO series, Jupiter is trying to become the next Yamaha in terms of innovation and attention to detail. That's great for me. Whomever has the best all-around horn for the price, I'll keep 'em in business.

I have been wanting to try this horn, can't wait to check one out.

BTW, my dad was at Ft Benning in the late 60's.
altamira_28
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nyctrumpeter wrote:
altamira_28 wrote:

I have been wanting to try this horn, can't wait to check one out.

BTW, my dad was at Ft Benning in the late 60's.

My father-in-law was too... but he was a Pathfinder and a Jumpmaster here. Soooo.... yeah. As far as the horn; MAN, ME TOO!! I've heard so much good stuff about this horn and feedback from players that are similar to myself in taste of horns. I'm licking my lips in anticipation right now... Burt's Bees lipbalm in tow.

My need for a horn comes from the fact that I'll be going overseas in a few months, and I need a good gigging horn. I wouldn't even think about using a government horn for personal gain. That's just moronic.

Josh
XO Brass Tribune 1622 C Trumpet
Jupiter Tribune 1220 Bb Cornet
Jupiter 1700S
Monette B3S3, C3S3, B4LS1, B4LSS1, B4LVS1, BP6, Bob Reeves 43WF, Denis Wick 3B Heavy Top Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 7 of 21

Jump to: