• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lingual Braces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PookDog78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Lingual Braces Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience with or has a student with lingual braces. Lingual braces go on the back of the teeth as opposed to the traditional braces, which go on the front of the teeth. I'm wondering how these would affect ones playing, especially tonguing. A student asked me about how they would affect her playing if she got these type of braces but I honestly know nothing about them. I think they are also different than invisalign in that they are still actually brackets on the teeth. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it was many years ago, I had them and they were simply awful. Cut up my tongue and I could hardly speak and could not imagine what it would be like to play with them.

I also had the conventional braces on the outside (had both on at the same time) and they were a lot less painful. i was not playing at the time so I couldn't tell you how the lingual braces would actual affect playing, but I can't imagine being able to tongue clearly at all-even if you had a high tolerance for pain.

Then again, I'm sure they are much improved since then,

Don Lee
underdog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: braces Reply with quote

I had linguals in early high-school. I did not experience all the problems that occur with braces that others with conventional braces do. Many kids start playing in the pink of the top lip and have a ton of embouchure issues because of the braces.
My only problems were with my tongue... every once in a while, especially with multiple tonguing, my tongue would catch and cut on the braces. It was painful and I had sores a lot of the time on my tongue because of this. That being said. If someone HAS to get braces, I would recommend these over conventional braces as the rest of the fundamentals stay intact easier. (in my opinion..)
All this said. If someone doesn't have to get braces, that's best for brass players. Those slight irregularities really help range, endurance, sound, flexibility, etc. Perfectly straight teeth aren't the greatest set up for an all around strong trumpet player.
I realize that this is a pretty strong opinion and that many may disagree. I don't want to cause a stir over it, or allow the original post to be high jacked over that remark.
https://www.instagram.com/lessonswithstudiomusicians/
http://nashvillestudioorchestra.com/site-administrator/
etntrpt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it you think that perfectly straight teeth aren't the best for trumpet players? Just wondering... I'm not sure I'm convinced either way, that is, that crooked teeth are bad and straight teeth are good.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the new Invisalign snap on/snap off braces will do the trick. Take them off while playing, put them back on afterwards, like a retainer. I've not encountered anyone with them yet but I'd be interested in how they work out. They may be designed more for adults than kids, I'm not certain.
joyspring

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having experienced both crooked and straight front teeth, as the result of an accident and subsequent bridge, I can say that it doesn't make any difference. (The recovery time required was a different story.)

Also, my student, whose father is an orthodontist, had Invisalign braces and they were excellent for continuing a good practice regimen.

I can't imagine what it would be like to play with linguals. Perhaps a good time to hone one's keyboard skills?
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why is it you think that perfectly straight teeth aren't the best for trumpet players?

It's pretty well known that un-uniform dental alignment allows for anchoring the mouthpiece on a high point, which keeps vibrating tissue un-impinged. As well, many successful high range players have gaps, chips or short teeth that allow lip tissue to vibrate freely.
My question is: aside from gross malformations, who decided you have to have perfectly aligned teeth? Can't you be happy with the teeth you have? What's wrong with unique? Don't you have better things to spend money on?
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouncing off of Nate's post, have any of you ever seen Faddis's "bite"? He does pretty well...
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl Sievers did his DMA thesis on teeth and trumpet.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had this conversation with a colleague yesterday, after rehearsing Vivaldi on pics for an Easter service. He had chipped off the bottom of one front upper as a kid, and the dentist just filed down the other one to match. His playing took off. I have long front teeth, but fortunately big lips. I used to hook the lip with mpc rim and pull it under my teeth for upper register. I used to cut my lip daily! I learned to take advantage of my lips and pucker forward, playing on the inside ala Pops McLaughlin. Gotta go with your physiology. Also fortunately, I refused braces as a child, so I have high points to anchor on.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: