• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Miniature King Liberty - a rare horn, indeed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wes Clarke
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Miniature King Liberty - a rare horn, indeed Reply with quote

Here is a rare, rare horn. I have no connection to the seller or the horn. I've only seen one of these in person and never played one. I have to imagine they play like the devil, but they are intersting. I understand that these were presentation horns; many of them ornately decorated although this one looks plain; and given to special customers or clients.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Mini-King-Liberty-Trumpet-W-Case-and-mouth-piece_W0QQitemZ230602543362QQcategoryZ118975QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZclkid%3D8064886115571631729

Snapper
Troy Bilt
Poulan
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I wonder what the selling price will be in these days of economic turmoil? I think the last ones I've seen sell on eBay went in the $3000-4000 range.

Can anyone tell if this is in Bb or A?

I love these unique critters ... hmmmm ... maybe Roy Lawler would like to try this as the next vintage horn to recreate.

-- Joe
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I saw in a music store near Davison's in downtown Atlanta in 1955 was more ornate, and had a beautiful reddish gold color.

In collectible items of all kinds, the great stuff is still rising, and the drecky stuff continues to sink. (Most real estate developed in the past thirty years fits the drecky catagory.)

This horn is not one of the top examples, but it is still a good collectible example, and will do well.
Wondra
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! I'm currently the high bidder!!! Well...I at least wanted to know what it felt like to bid on horn like this

Don't make me get the flying monkeys...
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is in the key of A. The one on Steve Winans' site is a B-flat; you can see the difference in how close the main tuning slide is to the third valve casing.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case there are those who have not seen this, here is the link to the HN White website with many pictures and some history of the minis:

http://www.hnwhite.com/Mini%20trumpets.htm

Lots of good HN White / King history and photos available here.

-- Joe
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one several years ago... can not remember what I paid or what it brought when I sold it.

Well that was an informative post, huh?

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty cool to have owned one! A neat little novelty.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
That is pretty cool to have owned one! A neat little novelty.
Actually, best part of these horns is that they are not "neat little novelties" at all. They are exactly like all other Liberty trumpets... except they are smaller. Same build quality and material. I think that is exactly why they are so sought after. They rather remind me of 19th century salesman's samples of farm and industrial equipment. Built exactly as the full size version. Very nice. I do know that the money involved in both the purchase and the sale was nowhere near what they bring today.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, and as mentioned in the H N White website referenced above, the mini's were given as gifts and rewards. The horns were never designed to be nor intended to be a part of the King catalog. They are not a King "piccolo" trumpet of that day: they were designed to be working, half-scale models of the King Bb / A Liberty trumpets, and, as such, are a "novelty" item.

I don't mean "novelty" to be in any way disrespectful or to discount the outstanding time, quality, and workmanship that went into their production. The fact that they were fully working miniatures was a bonus; a bonus that greatly increases their value as a collectible item.

The mini's are neat and they work -- but if they were a good, valid design for a high Bb / A trumpet, somebody would surely be building something similar today.

Just all my opinion, of course, and yours may differ and be just as valid.

-- Joe
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Mini HJ King Reply with quote

Harry James gave his great lead trumpet player Rob Turk a mini version of his balanced model Silver Sonic Super 20. Rob showed it to me one day at his home here in Las Vegas many years ago and its whereabouts are unknown today. I remember it playing like a so-so piccolo. I bought his balanced King trumpet from Rob and assume the mini may have been sold as well. Rob died several years ago and the musicians local 369 [Las Vegas] are still trying to find a relative to settle old business with.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold for $4161.11.

Anyone know to whom it went?

-- Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: