• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Studios

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you think is best?
Illinois (Ronald Romm, Charles Daval)
59%
 59%  [ 13 ]
Michigan (Bill Campbell)
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
Michigan State (Rich Illman)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

Urlicht

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Trumpet Studios Reply with quote

Hey, I was hoping one of you could give me your opinions about each of the trumpet programs at each of the schools I've been accepted to. I'm still making my decisions as to where to go, but I'm looking for a second opinion. Thanks.

Last edited by Urlicht on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
bboysmusic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son studies at U of Michigan and Bill Campbell has been fantastic with him!
trombino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the pleasure of playing next to Charles Daval in the Pittsburgh Opera and Ballet Orchestra. I get a lesson every gig just by sitting there and listening to the guy play. He has made me a better player by his example. I'm not saying where you should go to school, or who you should study with, just saying that you couldn't go wrong with Charlie.
jasonbergman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Michigan Reply with quote

I studied with Bill Campbell at Michigan for both my MM and DMA degrees. He is a devoted teacher who sacrifices a great deal for his students. The trumpet studio is deep and has a long tradition of excellence. The majority of us have good professional careers, have had success in professional auditions, and have done well in national and international competitions. Prof. Campbell's teaching is first rate and the studio's success is one of the many signs that demonstrate this.

Visit the UM Trumpet Studio site: http://sitemaker.umich.edu/trumpet/home

Your colleagues in the studio and throughout the school are strong. The ensembles are first rate. We regularly have amazing guest artists (Recent ones include: Phil Smith, Mike Sachs, John Hagstrom, Mark Inouye, etc.) The list goes on...

I never attended Illinois and Michigan State, so I can't really comment on them. Charlie Daval and Ron Romm have had great careers and certainly know the business and are good teachers.

If you've been accepted to Michigan, you should most likely be aware of most of the information I've stated. A forum like this might not be the best place to seek this type of advice because it's so personal... but since you asked, you should think about what you really want to do with your career and who can help get you there. That being said, no matter where you go, if you are willing to do the work that it actually takes to be successful, you can do it anywhere. The school won't seal the deal. However, if you do that work and do what Prof. Campbell says, I'm sure your odds are very good - I know from experience. I owe him so much...

You have some good options...

Good luck,

Jason Bergman
Trumpet Professor, University of Southern Mississippi
rom838

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also graduated from The University of Michigan, with my B.M. in Performance and studied with Bill Campbell. My experience there was fantastic, and I'll agree with Jason, his devotion to his students and their success while on campus is very admirable, and something I haven't in seen many other places. He'll set you up with the tools you need to improve yourself as a musician, and he'll hold you to a high standard, which, if you carry that with you when you leave, you'll be grateful for when you start taking auditions and preparing on your own! He is a great example as a trumpet player, and will lead you through most of the significant repertoire you should know...

I can't say enough about the atmosphere of the school, and the studio, everyone is terrific, and the ensemble directors do a fantastic job. You'll leave with a great grasp of a wide variety of both orchestral and wind ensemble repertoire. The students take the Symphony Band and Symphony Orchestra very seriously there, and the result in the product is tremendously rewarding. You'll also get the chance to work with some well-known composers (Michael Daugherty, William Bolcom and John Corigliano, in my four years). In terms of exposure to the professional music world, Michigan is great choice.

Though I didn't study at Michigan State, I took frequent lessons with Rich Illman as a high school student growing up near MSU, and Prof. Illman is a fantastic trumpet player, and is a very versatile performer. There are some excellent faculty at MSU, and the campus there is very nice. The ensemble directors at MSU were always very good to me, and they produce great results with their groups.

I don't know the program at Illinois and I haven't met Ron Romm personally, but I have played gigs with Charlie Daval, and he certainly has a wealth of knowledge on the instrument. Charlie is a really great person and player alike...as someone posted above, he lives in Pittsburgh and plays in the Opera and Ballet.

Hope this helps a bit, I tried to give you a little on all three, but obviously as a U-M grad I was able to provide a little more detail on that program and Prof. Campbell than the others. Remember, this is a public forum, so anyone who replies here will take that into account with their responses. Feel free to PM me if you would like any more detail...I'd be glad to help!

Dan Nesbitt
kuosuum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Really? Reply with quote

Hello Tyler,
Having been a student at U of M for the past year and having attended many master classes here I'm sure you have a sense of what goes on here. If you aren't SUPER excited about being here I think you should focus on the two other schools.

I will echo what has been said earlier about my good friend, Charlie Daval, who knows what needs to be done to be successful. Ronald Romm also is a incredible resource who can help you a great deal. MSU has a great music education program and Rich Illman has been there a long time having taught students like Tage Larsen.

Best of luck.
Prof. Campbell
NYCTPT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a student of Charles Daval at U of M. You have a great lis of options here! I don't know Prof. Campbell, but have heard of the tremendous things he's doing with the program there. You won't find a better environment than U of M. The opportunity I had to play in all sorts of ensembles, as well as work closely with Michael Daugherty and the composition students was amazing. I also was able to do a lot of freelancing in the SE Mich area and gained a great deal of experience from that.

I was also fortunate enough to work in professional settings with Rich Illman. You won't find a more professional, kind or dedicated person than Rich. There are a lot of opportunities in East Lansing to play and you'd be in easy reach of several orchestras for freelance work. The students of his that I know are exceptional players, so he must be doing some things right!

As a student of Charlie, however, I can't imagine any setting or teacher trumping what he can do to help improve a player. I'm not familiar with U of I's program, but I'm sure that Charlie will be making some changes. If it's anything similar to the setup he had at U of M when I was there, you'll be in for a real treat. He provided such a variety of experience. Additionally, as I've progressed through my career I've found that Charlie gave me just about every tool I needed to be successful. He taught me how to play the instrument. His approach is simple, practical and supremely artistic. Most of all, it's effective! He cares deeply about his students and always went the extra mile to help us achieve whatever we were working towards.

Good luck with your decision. I can see why it's hard....no bad choices!

nyctpt
wactpt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What style of playing are you hoping to focus on/what degree are you planning on getting?
4CAA

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good schools but I vote for Indiana.
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard so much about Indiana and know so many whom have traveled through there ... check it out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: