• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Airy sounds???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I've picked up a new mouthpiece (See Zottola thread on mouthpice forum) and I'm noticing a lot or air or breath sounds coming through along with the note. I've switched to this smaller, shallower mouthpiece from a Bach 7C because I found the Bach uncomfortable to use.

The breathy/airy sounds I'm hearing I assume are down to me doing something wrong. They are quite clearly heard from the C (third space in the staff) on down, but above that note, everything seams to be OK. I don't here the same breath/air sounds with the Bach 7C, it's just not feeling good on my lips.

Please can anyone shed any light onto what it could be and also what to do to put it right.

Thanks in advance
Phil.
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A professional once told me "when there is air in the tone, use more air".
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are the attacks in the "airy register"? If the attacks are airy, too, try to maintain a technical clean, closed embouchure. Changing the mpc. can cause some adjustment regarding the lip-position cause of different support for the lips from the rim/cup-design. Different rim, different support, different muscles. Of course just a very slight difference but sometimes enough to make the sound airy, flat, .... Some experimentation/adjustment with the new mpc. and the fine sound of former times should come back if the mpc. fits for you.

For more information wait for the posts of the mpc.-"gurus".

Good luck!
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lips aren't acclimated to the new mouthpiece. The airy sound is do to the lips not touching efficiently. Maybe you should be experimenting with mouthpieces of a similar diameter. Have you ever tried the 7C (Johnny Frosk) or the 7EW (Gozzo)?

CR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: