• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New York Trumpet Company out of business?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roguemodel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: New York Trumpet Company out of business? Reply with quote

I have noticed that their website is down. Are they out of business? Thanks for the response1
david mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly hope not, Felix is a class act and a great person to deal with.
assorted other horns
miles71
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Felix early this week and NYTC is still around.

NYTC has gone back to doing custom builds for customers, very little if any stock horns. Also, fewer horns per year built but high quality (like some other horn builders I know.) Friend of mine just got a horn from Felix about 3-4 months ago and it is VERY nice.

Not sure what going on with the website, but I am sure Felix's email is still good and I am also sure he will chime in soon on this. I would be astonished if things have changed in the last few days.

TD
HowardB993

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a thread I’ve considered starting on TH, but also have feared seeing started. I ordered a Stage 1 California Bb (very similar to your friend’s horn Tony – and in fact, I’ve talked with him about his and my horns) and a Broadway Flugel horn in September of 2010 – I also paid in full with Paypal. I have yet to receive my horns.
I did receive great customer service and communication during my decision period and we finalized my set up on the California Bb– so much so I also purchased a NYTC C trumpet a week after paying for the other two horns. I received the C trumpet within a week – it was billed as a ‘demo’ horn so it was already in stock – the 2 other horns were going to be custom builds (with the Broadway Flugel a joint venture with Andy Taylor in the UK). I was originally quoted a 12 week wait for the horns.
Communication between Felix and myself dwindled over the next couple of months – emails were beginning to slow in being answeried. Finally I was informed on 12/16/10 that the plater had committed suicide, and he was trying to get things sorted out and back on track. The last I heard from him was on 1/26/11. I would send emails asking for an update every 2-3 weeks, then once a month, but got no response. I got a response on 3/26/11 which sounded very genuine and believable, so I continued to wait.
I continued to send requests for updates about every month, however I would not get a response. I have grown ever so frustrated that I even tried contacting the builders of the horns – Garry Stoner and Andy Taylor asking if they even received my order for my horn builds. I have never heard back from Garry, but did get a response from Andy.
I did receive a response on 6/28/11 from Feix, after sending another email inquiring about the completion of the horns. I asked if the horns were not going to be delivered, then could I please receive an refund through my Paypal account. I received a reply the same day – it stated that the flugel had just arrived and he needed to confirm my shipping address, and he would ship “as soon as possible.” I replied within 2 hrs with my information, and stated my expectation of receiving tracking information and that I naturally assumed he would ship the following day.
I have yet to receive any tracking info OR horns in the mail.

I’m well aware that it takes time for custom horns to be built – I ordered, purchased, and received a custom horn in the past. The expectation was a 12 month wait time. The difference I’ve experienced is that communication between the customer and the previous horn maker was far superior to the customer service I’m currently receiving .
Another concern I have about replying to this thread is that since I have not yet received my purchased items, I will not EVER receive them. I certainly hope that will not be the case.
Yes, I’ve tried calling him on the phone numbers formerly listed on the website. Yes, I’ve tried emailing him on all of the email addresses formerly listed on the website. I’ve not received any call back.
Tony, if you’re able to actually talk with Felix, please kindly mention that Bill in Saginaw, Michigan continues to wait for delivery of his horns. I’d really appreciate that.
Van Laar Chuck Findley
Van Laar Oiram Fresu Flugel
Yamaha 6445 C-Trumpet
Kanstul 731 Cornet
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Hope you get your horns soon.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your problems and a quoted delivery date for anything paid in full up front is to be honored, if by nothing else than a status update from NYTC.

On the other hand, doing business in today's economy is an uphill struggle and getting worse each day. I have no idea what you paid, none of my business, but I do know the overhead for keeping the doors open has gone up, and has eaten into whatever profit margin was originally quoted, by benefit of the amount of time that has passed.

That should have zero to do with delivery date or quoted price, especially if paid in full, but it is a fact and worthy of consideration.

On the rare occasion I sell a repaired instrument, I make it clear the price is firm and what you see is what you get. I don't do repairs on demand and only work on stuff I own, as I cannot be depended upon to do anything on a timeline. Then again, that is the difference between a hobby and a profession.

I have dealt with Mr. Stoner before his affiliation with NYTC and my custom work took 6 months from the time I shipped to him to receipt. It was exactly what I wanted at a fair price and I play it weekly(and weakly) to this day, and he made it clear it would take that long, fine with me. Same with three other custom folks, still have one that has been out 8 months and may not get done for another 8 months, again, fine by me.

My situation is a bit unique, as I want the best quality for the money so I sacrifice time up front with the artisan so we all know where we stand. Sometimes I get burned, as with a guitar I recently got back after 4 months with the repair guy after he decided he didn't want to get into it, sometimes I win big, like my Harrelson modified Conn 12B that took 7 months to do but cost me less than 500 for original purchase, trade goods, repairs and mods.

Keep firing off the emails, Felix has been a class act for years according to many here on TH and hope this gets settled to everyone's satisfaction.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
oxleyk2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like their web host has been suspended. That why the site doesn't show up.

Kent
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not certain what Felix's current situation is, but when I bought a horn from him last fall, he was having to pretty much operate the company out of his home. His firm was one of several music-related businesses which had been headquartered in the same building and were forced to vacate it - not through any fault of their own, just one of those usual owner-has-wild-hair things. I believe it was reported on here a year or so ago. My point is that he's probably operating under much less than ideal circumstances - but I've certainly been satisfied with my dealings with him in the past.
miles71
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke via text with Felix today and have PM'ed needed parites.

I will say to everyone Felix is taking NYTC through some changes at this time. A new site should be us soon, this is necc. due to some virus issues with his old site and email account. He is still dealing with horns but the time line has gotten longer, up to near 12 months for custom horns. On top of that plating is getting difficult as well.

I get from him the new NYTC will be more streamline, dealing primarily in only a few popular models with a few custom options instead of literally hundreds of options like in the past.

I have had dealings with many custom companies for musical equipment and no matter the store, business, person sometimes things fall through the cracks. Felix is also, as stated in some other threads, literally a one man show. I am sure after Felix reinvents the NYTC it will be as strong, if not stronger than before.

TD
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the OP would consider renaming this thread. Right now, when it comes up on the Main Page, only the phrase "New York Trumpet Company out of bu..." appears.

From what I've read in this thead, while Felix Vayser is having some difficult times, he is not out of business. I'm sure it isn't of help to him to have a thread topic showing on the main page of the Trumpet Herald that leads the casual reader to conclude his company is out of business.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Bixel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Perhaps the OP would consider renaming this thread. Right now, when it comes up on the Main Page, only the phrase "New York Trumpet Company out of bu..." appears.

From what I've read in this thead, while Felix Vayser is having some difficult times, he is not out of business. I'm sure it isn't of help to him to have a thread topic showing on the main page of the Trumpet Herald that leads the casual reader to conclude his company is out of business.

Sincerely,

John Mohan

I second your proposal since a German former business partner of Felix already "spreads the news" on the German trumpet forum (trompetenforum.de) yet leaving out the question mark as you can see right here .

Let's keep things fair.

trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Olaf, if he is not REALLY out of business, I for one think it's a really nasty rumour to spread.
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
KansasTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Horns wrote:
Hi folks.

Stets and take care.

OLaf Waldeck

What do you mean?

M-Horns/OLaf Waldeck was and still is banned from posting on the TH. Ignore his ill-intentioned post. Moderators

www.DQsCustomShop.com

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Del-Quadro-Custom-Trumpets/188607601169514
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: