• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 7 leadpipe for lead

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lboretrumpets
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Bach 7 leadpipe for lead Reply with quote

So I have a custom project going on with my large bore Strad. I do a lot of lead/show/commercial work, where the upper register is relatively important. So my question is, will the 7 leadpipe work for lead stuff, when combined with lighter bells? I've only read about the LT180S77, which is supposed to be a good lead horn, and my horn is going to sport a modular bell system, so I can play the mix and match game with some bells I have.
The specs:
Leadpipe: Twin tube Bach 7
Body: Standard weight .462 LB
Valve Slides: upper leg .462, opening to .468 @crook
Bell: Artisan, 65G, 37*, maybe a 7, with .470 bell tails
**Note**My main axe while this is going down is my Bach 43XL. Huge horns don't scare me anymore
**Disclaimer** No Artisans were harmed during the making of this horn.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wont be the first cat that ever played lead on a Bach 7 pipe. Can you imagine the NY guys that played lead on the old NY bach's with the 7 pipes. Lots!
Lboretrumpets
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured that, I've just been debating leadpipes for weeks now... Sometimes having limitless choices doesn't help.
stevesf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lboretrumpets wrote:
I figured that, I've just been debating leadpipes for weeks now... Sometimes having limitless choices doesn't help.

paralysis from too much analysis....keep plugging away with a moderate choice for now.....fine tune later when you can understand what, if at all what those minute equipment changes will do....if anything

Yamaha 6310Z - Bb Trumpet
Bach Strad 229/25H - C Trumpet
Yamaha 631 (rose brass) - Flugel
Warburton 4 series mouthpieces
-------------------------------------------------
Know Music, Know Life....No Music, No Life
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What "improver" said is right on the money.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C

Last edited by Adam V on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!!! The upper register on the 7 pipe is about the same as on the 43 pipe the difference is that the 7 does not add a bunch of brightness to the horn but does give you access to the darker sound most people like about the 43 with out dealing with the brightness! If you did a 43 pipe and 7 bell it would be so bright when you stepped on the gas that it could be painful to some people and might get a bit too sharp as you step on the gas. If you have a bell like the 7 or 38 the 7 pipe works better then the 43 because it gives you the same ease in the upper register and the darkness should you need and a very open blow!

A 7/7 combo will peel the paint of the walls if you want it too! The 38 bell and 7 pipe will also peel the paint. These combo's are also a bit vintage French Besson sounding. Not only will you not have any trouble telling it apart from say a 180S37 with 25 pipe but anyone that is used to the modern Bach sound will also immediately ask you what you are playing once you get on the gas!!! You will see when you get it once you do some scales, slur's, triple tonguing just to get the feel for her step on the gas and then come tell people what you think! You will see what I mean!
Lboretrumpets
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, that LB has had a 43 reversed pipe on it for about 3-4 years now... I guess my whole thing was that I wanted something close to the blow of that, keeping the easy upper register, and enabling me to get a decent legit sound when I needed it. I figured that the 7 would solve these issues more so than the 43, which has the broadness, but not necessarily the core that I wanted.
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lboretrumpets wrote:
Believe it or not, that LB has had a 43 reversed pipe on it for about 3-4 years now... I guess my whole thing was that I wanted something close to the blow of that, keeping the easy upper register, and enabling me to get a decent legit sound when I needed it. I figured that the 7 would solve these issues more so than the 43, which has the broadness, but not necessarily the core that I wanted.

I've noticed that the reversed pipes take away some of the focused core, and add a bit too much spread... I think a regular 43 will be something you'd like. IMO the 43 has PLENTY of core sound, as long as you can fill it up with air. I noticed that the only times it started sounding spread to me were when my chops were out of shape...

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
stevesf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
Yes!!! The upper register on the 7 pipe is about the same as on the 43 pipe the difference is that the 7 does not add a bunch of brightness to the horn but does give you access to the darker sound most people like about the 43 with out dealing with the brightness! If you did a 43 pipe and 7 bell it would be so bright when you stepped on the gas that it could be painful to some people and might get a bit too sharp as you step on the gas. If you have a bell like the 7 or 38 the 7 pipe works better then the 43 because it gives you the same ease in the upper register and the darkness should you need and a very open blow!

A 7/7 combo will peel the paint of the walls if you want it too! The 38 bell and 7 pipe will also peel the paint. These combo's are also a bit vintage French Besson sounding. Not only will you not have any trouble telling it apart from say a 180S37 with 25 pipe but anyone that is used to the modern Bach sound will also immediately ask you what you are playing once you get on the gas!!! You will see when you get it once you do some scales, slur's, triple tonguing just to get the feel for her step on the gas and then come tell people what you think! You will see what I mean!

I don't want to peel paint, I just want to smeer the colours a little and make an impact in the process...my point? dunno....it's all just words until you put on to tape anyways....bottom line is what ever get's the job done.

Yamaha 6310Z - Bb Trumpet
Bach Strad 229/25H - C Trumpet
Yamaha 631 (rose brass) - Flugel
Warburton 4 series mouthpieces
-------------------------------------------------
Know Music, Know Life....No Music, No Life
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevesf wrote:

I don't want to peel paint, I just want to smeer the colours a little and make an impact in the process...my point? dunno....it's all just words until you put on to tape anyways....bottom line is what ever get's the job done.

Abolutely,
But it's nice to have "peel the paint' on the palette when you want it now and again.
-Mark
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach 7 leadpipe for lead Reply with quote

Lboretrumpets wrote:
So I have a custom project going on with my large bore Strad. I do a lot of lead/show/commercial work, where the upper register is relatively important. So my question is, will the 7 leadpipe work for lead stuff, when combined with lighter bells? I've only read about the LT180S77, which is supposed to be a good lead horn, and my horn is going to sport a modular bell system, so I can play the mix and match game with some bells I have.
The specs:
Leadpipe: Twin tube Bach 7
Body: Standard weight .462 LB
Valve Slides: upper leg .462, opening to .468 @crook
Bell: Artisan, 65G, 37*, maybe a 7, with .470 bell tails
**Note**My main axe while this is going down is my Bach 43XL. Huge horns don't scare me anymore
**Disclaimer** No Artisans were harmed during the making of this horn.

Maybe you could make the lead pipes changable as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
Lboretrumpets
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I debated that too... I think, going with a non reverse setup, that a fixed pipe would work best for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: