• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Steve Madaio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Charles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Steve Madaio Reply with quote

I just joined the group. I was trying to find Steve Madaio, since I really enjoy his trumpet. I know he's performed with many celebs like Stevie Wonder, Streisand...what I cannot understand is why some guys like him don't produce more CDs for sale. I bought Steve "Madaio Moods" 15 years ago and have nearly worn it out. He has another called Midnightsomething, but its the same tunes. Why no more single CDs? I find it hard to be able to contact him directly, but did find an e-mail "contact Steve Madaio", but I don't know if it will really do that.
Who else are really great horn players out there with Steve's ability? I know there are thousands of great horn players, but who do think belongs, say in the "Top 20", alive or not?
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I had never heard of the guy until you posted about him. I did a quick search and all I could find about him was some pop music oriented work. If he has only worked within the pop music genre that would probably account for why I've never heard of him.

Larry
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 20...in the top 5 of that would most def be Greg Adams, Mic Gillette, Lee Thornberg & Bill Churchville.

Last I knew anything of Steve madiao he was living in the Palm Springs (CA) area, not sure of he was still playing or not.

Link

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing with a swing band in the late 90's, and we played a function in Palm Desert. Steve popped in and asked to sit in. He played a great solo. Very nice, unassuming guy and a great trumpet player.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
gchun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the contact on this page:

http://www.spotlightheroes.com/SteveMadaio/

"Click on the album to order or send an email to steve"...

It seems that Steve was highly in demand before Jerry Hey and his horn section hit the LA scene. There is some crossover period, seeing both Steve and Jerry's name on some Earth, Wind and Fire sessions.
sdhinote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve is still here in Palm Desert, CA. I run into him occasionally at the local music store. He has a small group he plays with at local clubs.

CarolBrass Artist (model CTR-4440L-YST-SL custom bronze)
Solista Flugel
FoKus L.A., Artist & Flugel mouthpieces
dmr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him back in June up here at the Dakota club in Minneapolis.
He was playing in the horn section for Max Weinberg and Bill Champlin; Mindi Abair also sat in as well. It was a really good show.

I really dug Steve Madaio's playing that night. He had a few solos, and everything was tasty, clean, and groovin'. Hadn't heard of him before that night, although looking through his credits when I got home, it'd definitely heard his playing before...

Here's the link to the show as well as a link on that page to a review if anyone is interested:
http://dakotacooks.com/event/max-weinberg-champlin/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: