• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Zottola Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Zotolla mouthpieces Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah many time i saw my dad bring out the homemade wine when a musician couldn't decide on a model

Lol!!! Been there, done that with your Dad too, Glenn!!!

What about Wally Ballou...do you remember him??? He and I worked with Danny Stiles quite a bit and did the Club Bonet (sp?) in Jersey a few times.

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Hi, Glenn. Nice to "meet" you.

You might be overreacting a little. There are lots of things that work that have explanations that aren't really right. That doesn't mean the people trying to make the explanations aren't sincere, wonderful people.

Tom

Now what in the world are you saying Tom? He absolutely didn't overreact.

The patent is long gone. Anyone can make these mouthpieces under their own name. I have one. I don't like the V cup on mine. Are they all V cups?

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
glennzottola

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do remember Wally ! Wow club Benet brings me back and I worked there with Danny. Poor Danny 
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Moon wrote:
VetPsychWars wrote:
Hi, Glenn. Nice to "meet" you.

You might be overreacting a little. There are lots of things that work that have explanations that aren't really right. That doesn't mean the people trying to make the explanations aren't sincere, wonderful people.

Tom

Now what in the world are you saying Tom? He absolutely didn't overreact.

The patent is long gone. Anyone can make these mouthpieces under their own name. I have one. I don't like the V cup on mine. Are they all V cups?

Brian, I was talking about the perceived attack on his father's integrity.

Nothing more.

Tom

(I might react the same way.)
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
glennzottola

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me help clarify this and the "attack" on my dad with the ridiculous data from this unknown repairman. As i mentioned my dad was a master machinist and engineer and anyone who visited him at his shop would see that. I watched him work for months on his tools and arbors for his back bore design and he was very fussy about dimensions etc. As i mentioned mouthpieces were a labor of love and his real income came from doing work for companies like IBM which were very strick regarding quality. I am a bit of a tool and die maker myself as my dad taught me so i am talking about his knowlege from the inside. None of this has to do with personal taste on mouthpieces or back boreetc. but what Hickman was relayed from that repairman by was so gross and off the mark i had to say something. I am glad it was pointed out it was 7 years ago but no less ignorant and inapropriate. Glenn
glennzottola

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Guys ! a picture is worth a thousand words so see if you can open this clip from my TV show. Believe me i couldn't do this without my dads step back bore !! Glenn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CUHeqW7XjA&feature=email
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn,
I really enjoyed this video of you and Suzanne Somers. Thanks for posting. BTW, which model Zottola do you play?

Bill
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
glennzottola

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Bill ! Basically it is my dads 62C mouthpiece but it has a special backbore he was experimenting with in 79. I liked it a lot because it was more open and it gave the mouthpiece less resistance even though the diameter and cup was on the smaller side. That allowed me to pump as much air as I wanted through the horn. On some of my albums i play totally different than on this tune and the mouthpiece adjusts. I am a brass and reed doubler and i endorse instruments like that red trumpet and I have been offered a deal on a Glenn Zottola mouthpiece and if I do that I will use this mouthpiece as I have played it for over 30 years exclusively. Glenn
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice! The backbore sounds clean like I thought it would.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
glennzottola

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely and if I get a moment I will put another track on there from one of my albums so can hear what I am talking about. My approach to equipment is a little different. Most players like one signature sound. Maybe because I am double I like my equipment to shift with my mood. Glenn
glennzottola

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill - this is from an album i did in the 80s before my mom and dad passed. The tune is "i can't give you anything but love" and was a tribute to both of them. I am playing alto sax and trumpet on this cut and using the Zottola mouthpiece as discussed. It allows me to adjust the "blow" to get different qualities to the sound depending on my mood.

Glenn Zottola

http://youtu.be/8Il15Oj2C9Y
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: zottola mouthpieces Reply with quote

Glenn!

Damn...NICE playing on both!!!! Wally told me you were the real deal!! What TV show was that clip from???

BTW...I bet Mom and Dad had a tear in their eye at first listen to "I Can't Give You"!!! Good for them and good for you!!!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
glennzottola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Butch ! Suzaane Somers had a daytim talk show at universal studios and i was with her 9 years and we had a ball see link below. Yeah my mom and dad loved it and they taught me all those standards. Also my dads original instructions on playing jazz never left me even when i got into different kinds of music later "just embellish the melody like Louie". Glenn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPFc0RhBAok&feature=email
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I read the "attack" on Frank Zottola, I was shocked. What a crock. Here's my story:

In 1975, after several phone conversations, Frank invited me to visit him in Port Chester and plans were made. Upon arriving at his house, we were warmly welcomed. We sat down for some lunch and home-made wine. What a lovely meal and start to our visit. I had met Frank's son, Bobby ( maybe at Carmine Caruso's studio) and we listened to some Caruso interval exercises being played as we ate. It was Glenn practicing in another part of the house.

When we went into the shop, we were amazed at the creativity of Frank Zottola from the way he designed his cutting tools to cut and shape the step backbore. This was an achievement of great tool design and desire for quality control. He was truly an inventive gentleman.

Our idea was to create a small mouthpiece that had comfort and a big feel. We worked with the basic 62E design and sloped the rim 6 degrees from outside to in. This softened the bite and gave the small piece a big feel on the lips. The rim was slightly undercut which provided cup volume for a very shallow piece. This was a great mouthpiece for lead playing. We made several, each one .001 longer that the previous. Somehow, we settled on 3.375 for the length within +/- .003 inches. This quality control was unheard of in those days.

This post prompted me to pick up one of these pieces and give it a blow. Wow, is it comfortable on the lips. Makes me want to go back to playing mostly lead work.

The diagram of the day's work says I also ordered a 62D and 62C. Wish I knew where they were.

Glenn, good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

Alan
glennzottola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great story Al and thank you !!

Glenn
p.s. by the Carmine was another great human being and i brought him to the house to meet my dad and they really hit it off italian style.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperdean wrote:

Our idea was to create a small mouthpiece that had comfort and a big feel. We worked with the basic 62E design and sloped the rim 6 degrees from outside to in. This softened the bite and gave the small piece a big feel on the lips. The rim was slightly undercut which provided cup volume for a very shallow piece. This was a great mouthpiece for lead playing. We made several, each one .001 longer that the previous. Somehow, we settled on 3.375 for the length within +/- .003 inches. This quality control was unheard of in those days.

WOW, that whole things sounds a bit weird to me. Making several pieces and varying the total length by .001? But then only having a tolerance of within .003? That does not add up. Those number make no sense. Even if there were a reason to make a bunch of pieces with a total length .001 longer the previous, that would require a tolerance of a half-thousandth, or .0005,, and then you could end up with two pieces the exact same length.
Plus quality control of .003 has been around since something like the 1800's. (maybe even the 1700's!) In the 1960's tool and die guys routinely worked to .0005.

I could see a repair tech who new his way around mouthpieces telling mr Hickman that story. before I made my first backbore reamer, I made a backbore that was stepped by inserting every other numbered and lettered drill bit into a backbore i want to emulate and then marking how far it went in. Then I ran all those bits into a blank and ended up with a stepped backbore the same basic size as the piece i was copying. Guess what? It played great. About as good as any other backbore, but maybe or maybe not better. I would not be a bit surprised if every other mouthpiece maker who figures things out by themselves tried that first just to see what would happen. If that backbore played great, then you could make a stepped reamer, which would be quite a bit easier than making a curved reamer, and going with it. No doubt about it though, a stepped backbore is way easier to make than a curved one.

I am sure that Mr. Zottola could make a curved one of course cuz it's just not that hard. But the repair tech was just kind of stating the obvious when he said that the stepped backbore was easier to make than a curved one. He needs to be cut some slack too maybe.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: zottola mouthpieces Reply with quote

Ah...geez...here we go again! There's ALWAYS one, Glenn!

Butch
glennzottola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Butch you know how the trumpet world is we are all crazy I was never into equipment on trumpet or saxophone maybe from seeing these guys come to my dad with boxes of mouthpiece I have played the same mouthpieces for 40 years on both sax and trumpet and once i find something i like i stick with it. Regarding this recent post you would have to be there and see the way my dad worked. He spent a lot of time making all his tools and all his backbore reemers were all one piece. I saw him machine those step back bore reemers from scratch and believe me those steps were subtle and not easy to do. Glenn
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started playing in big bands there were two camps:

The Jet-Tone guys
The Zottola guys

The Zottola guys were generally the ones who played the big lyrical solos. They all had a big sound. These mouthpieces were sold mainly by Bill Lewington and they sell for quite high prices second hand over here. I saw a 62A recently which is much deeper.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glennzottola wrote:
hi Guys ! a picture is worth a thousand words so see if you can open this clip from my TV show. Believe me i couldn't do this without my dads step back bore !! Glenn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CUHeqW7XjA&feature=email

Wow, very nice and tight, and the scenery wasn't bad, either...

I never knew Ms. Somers had those kind of pipes, thanks for posting.

I go the opposite direction from most of the Zottolas I've tried, to a small diameter, deep cup, open backbore cornet mouthpiece. That's just me, doesn't mean I don't hang on to several of your dad's mouthpieces in my collection.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: