• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Differences between Kanstul 1500 and 1601

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Differences between Kanstul 1500 and 1601 Reply with quote

Apart from the lighter bell on the 1601, what else?
Anyone played both? A little A\B review?
Thanks
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Differences between Kanstul 1500 and 1601 Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
Apart from the lighter bell on the 1601, what else?
Anyone played both? A little A\B review?
Thanks

I have owned and played both, just not at the same time.

The 1500 has nickel and brass tubing - the 1601 tubing is all brass;
The 1601 has the lighter weight bell (made with thinner copper stock);
The 1500 has a more open lead pipe (25-0) - the 1601 has a 25 lead pipe;
The 1500 has two water keys (main tuning slide and third valve slide) - the 1601 has one water key on the main tuning slide;
The 1601 is substantially lighter;
The 1500 plays somewhat darker and is just a bit more open. My preference is to the 1601, which is more efficient and easier to play in the upper register (at least for me).

There is a trade-off on each, but both are wonderful horns.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. SHould be correct to address the 1500 as a "solo" horn and the 1601 as a "lead" horn?
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
MarkZ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my 1500 for small group jazz and my Getzen Severinsen for big band regardless of the part. Echoing what BB wrote, the 1500 is about as dark a horn as I've played and it takes me a little more work to light up the high register unless I play it with a very shallow piece. Different tools for different jobs.

Sounds like if I had to choose between the 1500 and 1601, I would have the 1601.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
Thanks for your reply. SHould be correct to address the 1500 as a "solo" horn and the 1601 as a "lead" horn?

All depends on the guy on the backside of the gazinta (so says the guy who came up with the 1601, originally known at the 1500TW).

I played the 1500 for several years as my primary Bb. Played everything on it - Lead, section, jazz, Orchestra Principal, section, solo, wind ensemble, chamber music, sessions. It was my main Bb when I did my brief stint with The Dallas Brass, and also for 4 of my 10 1/2 years as Principal / Lead / Featured Soloist on the Crystal Cathedral's internationally broadcast "Hour of Power" TV show, and my first 4 years as 3rd / Split Lead with Buddy Childers LA Big Band (along with a wide assortment of other bands, musicals, sessions, tours, etc. in LA).

Played GREAT! Loved the 1500, still do. I found, however, that I had to work a whole lot harder than I felt I should have to to get on top of other players who were playing lighter equipment than the 1500.

I wanted something that I thought would favor the ease of playing upper resgister, which is why the thinner copper bell, the 25 vs the 25-O lead pipe, the all brass body (no nickle), and a few other tweaks that we keep to ourselves.

The 1500TW did all that almost right off the table. We did one small tweak and that's all it took to get me what I was looking for in a Lead horn. Response, core and consistency of sound through all registers and dynamic levels, amazingly solid pitch center. It made all my playing so much more easy and enjoyable.

Then, while experimenting with gazintas, I found just how versatile the 1500TW could be. A slight change produced a MAJOR change in sound. I started using it for chamber, orchestra, wind ensemble, jazz...just about everything. Of course this meant a wider selection of mouthpieces in my case, but big deal, ya know? Always use the right tool for the job.

At various industry and music educator conventions we found that a vast majority of players, who cover the entire gamut of music performance styles, preferred the 1500 TW over a lot of other trumpets.

Since moving to the NYC area and working with many of the major players here, I found the 1500TW has the ability to easily compliment the sound of other guys in a section. Whether they're playing a Strad, Schilke, Callichio, Yammie, B&S...I could blend and compliment them very easily.

As a tribute to it's roots, we decided to call it the "1500TW." The first one came off the line in Sept., 1998. After Wayne left Kanstul for Yamaha (2005, I think), Zig decreed no other names on his horns other than "Kanstul," which is why the 1500TW is now the 1601. Other than the first 2 digits, it really shares no similarities to the 1600 (formerly the "WB").

"Efficient" and "Versatile" are words that, to my playing and ears, best describe the (now) 1601.

Hope this helps. Your mileage and notes may vary.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never played a 1601, but have played Tim's horn and it is a fantastic horn. Very different sound than my WT, but very versatile.

Unfortunately it did not make me play like Tim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: