• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Track Routine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the Christmas holidays I photocopied some of the sheets that Dr. Reinhardt gave my father, namely the spiderweb, the track routine, daily calisthenics, pivot stabilizer, single tongue gymnastics, augmented fourth, ect...

I think I understand all of them except the "Track Routine". What does he mean by having the angular motion of the instrument non-existent? I thought minimal angular motion was a by-product of the pivot. I read Dave Sheetz' article but I'm not sure I quite understand it. Also, should the jaw be manipulated as usual in this exercise? Everytime I do this exercise I seem to get a rattle in my sound. It may be just fatigue.

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-01-09 19:16, DSR wrote:
I would appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me.

I'm sorta waiting for Chris to clarify this. I believe he did a couple months back, talking about the track of the inner embouchure. If you don't find it, let us know.

Rich
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I might chime in here....the Track Routine was done AFTER the Pivot Stabilizer. In the Pivot Stabilizer he would ask you to exaggerate your pivot (the horns gonna move more in this drill) The Pivot Stabilizer was helping Mother Nature along to create muscle memory. In the Track Routine you are basically minimizing your pivot (minimizing horn movement if you will). If you look at point number 8 in the Pivot Stabilizer, he says "....when you leave this page FORGET IT!" The Track Routine was to be "normal playing". Hope this clarifies his intention here. Maybe Chris will have something to add to this.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Paul...that makes things a lot clearer.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone please post on how the articulations fit in with the track routine? I understand how Dr. Reinhardt suggested to change the keys, but does he really want you to play each line with all of those different articulations each day, or choose a different articulation each day?

Thanks!

Dave
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-01-13 21:08, Wilktone wrote:
Could someone please post on how the articulations fit in with the track routine? I understand how Dr. Reinhardt suggested to change the keys, but does he really want you to play each line with all of those different articulations each day, or choose a different articulation each day?

Hey, Dave, the articulations for the Track Routine are very simple, actually. You play the "lick" once tongued (starting softly with a crescendo) and on the repeat (no pause) you play it slurred (starting softly with a crescendo).

You're not referring to the 12 standard articulations in the Form Studies, are you?

Rich
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich,

Isn't the track routine slurred first, then tongued?
At the bottom of the track routine sheet, Doc wrote that some students will be asked to tongue first, although this is purely a personal matter...
Does is depend on your tongue type?
Just curious-

Kurt Z
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You're not referring to the 12 standard articulations in the Form Studies, are you?

Oops, yep I am.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-01-15 04:29, kzem wrote:
Isn't the track routine slurred first, then tongued?

Interesting you should bring that up. When I went for my first lesson in June 1978, the Track Routine he gave me was tongued first, and also was "upside down" from the older version I saw later. In other words, the older one had you starting on a C and going up to E & G, and the one I got at my Orientation & Analysis started on G and went down to E & C.

So, depending on which "edition" you have, you're right, too!

Rich
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich and everyone;
The "original" Track Routine was slurred then tongued. Doc reversed the articulations in the 1970's after a certain lead trpt player came in for an emergency lesson after being bruised from warming up with CC Lip Flexibilities (the entire book two times through every day). Everything started returning to normal after Doc had him tongue first then slur.
This is the story that Doc told me ca. 1975.
Also, pages 44 & 45 exercises # I,III,VI,VIII,X,XI,XII,XIII,XIV in the Manual, open horn only, with a Whispa mute.
He substituted this drill for the track routine for me.
WEG
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Doc told me that single tonguing should always come before slurring in his exercises. He said that it was not possible to tongue without your " legs ". But that you could slur without " legs " and that could get you into trouble ( multiple embrouchures ).

I do have a copy of the track routine from 1949, and I was suprised to see the slurring first.

Might that lead player have been L.B ?

Take Care,

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: Mr.Hollywood on 2003-01-15 22:15 ]
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris;
You are correct, Doc did say that you had to your legs first.
I will give you the identity of the tpt player off list.
I think Doc did change or modify some of his routines through the years.
WEG
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-01-15 19:57, bgibson wrote:
Doc reversed the articulations in the 1970's after a certain lead trpt player came in for an emergency lesson after being bruised from warming up with CC Lip Flexibilities (the entire book two times through every day).

I remember that story . . . it was the trumpeter that Chris implied and the entire trumpet section of the famous big band that he was touring with at the time, as I recall, playing through that entire book daily. (When I toured with . . . er, ah, um . . . a famous big band, there's no way that I could have endured all of that flexibility work daily. OUCH!)

Anyway, Doc told me the same thing: that he changed it to tongued first so that you establish the four legs before you repeat and slur the passage on the same setting. He told me that you can slur "successfully" without the support of the legs of the inner embouchure, but that you could not tongue successfully without the support of the legs of the inner embouchure. Hence, he had us tongue first to make sure we were using our legs, and then the repeated portion slurred would teach us the way it feels to slur with the legs of the inner embouchure firmly established.

Almost every day of my playing life since June '78 I've included some Track Routine type work, including the stuff out of the Pivot Manual, pp. 38-39.

Rich
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Rich ! I couldn't have said it better myself.

B.D ( Before Doc ) I used to play lip slurs every day, but A.D ( After Doc ) I realized that they can be some of the most destructive things you can practice.

There was a time a few years back when every once and a while I would play a lesson out of the Harold Mitchell Book #4. Every lesson includes a Colin type lip slur routine, and every time that I played them they never failed to screw up my chops.

You couldn't get me to play out of the Colin Book now for a new Buick !

Everybody out there remember........ ALWAYS TONGUE FIRST, SLUR ON REPEAT.

I really do hope some of you Reinhardt doubters will try this and discover what a genius this great man was. You will not believe what a huge difference a simple thing like single tonguing and slurring on the repeat ( when practicing your lip slur routines ) can make in your playing.

Chris
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently trying to find the time to read back over all the posts on this forum. I started at the back with the original posts. This little discussion is a real gem. It more than rewarded me for the time spent. Thanks guys.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: