• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just started!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Just started! Reply with quote

I took my first lesson with Bruce Haag yesterday. Very excited, trying to be patient. Doing my breathing and KTM (or "Clarke" tonguing, as Bruce calls it). Can't wait for the next lesson. He's local to me so it's very convenient. I'll lean on him a bunch with burning questions, but I'll probably also jump on here to share as time goes by. TH's been a great resource.

That's it, just wanted to share.
cinci-sop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been taking lessons with Bruce for a little over 3 years. I can't tell you how much my playing has improved over that time. It took a while for it to click for me but once it did things really started improving. Over the past year I have really seen huge improvements in my range and endurance. Stick with it and don't get too down on those bad days/weeks. They will happen but things will always get better as long as you don't give up.
Schilke B5 Trumpet - Stork 3B
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man...Can I ask your name? Age? Where do you play?

I'm 33 and am just getting back to "really" playing. I am anxious I'll admit, I have some gigs here and there that I still need to manage, but am willing to hang with it for the payoff!
cinci-sop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Kevin Thornton. I'm 47 grew up playing in The Salvation Army. I play soprano cornet in a Salvation Army sponsered brass band in Columbus, Chapel Brass. We rehearse on Saturday mornings.

Where do you play?
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well I don't play anywhere regularly. I play at a church for holidays/weddings, a few musical gigs for highschools, and other misc stuff. I almost started up with a community band but I really just don't have the time right now. 3 little ones running around at home make it tough.

My main goals are skills that apply to musical books...some of the recent ones I've played are tough! Not like the oldies.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your group is based in Columbus? That must be hard. I wish I did have a standing group but can't quite swing it now.
David Roberts
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer,

Like Kevin, I’ve been with Bruce for over 3 years now. I’ve never met him in person, though - I’m a skype student. My 6th grade son just started skype lessons with him too. Bruce is faithful to the CG approach, and you’ll find over time that he’s been down the path personally, so he can really zero in on what’s happening with your playing.

I knew I was going to need the accountability of regular assignments when I began my comeback (15yrs off the horn). At that time all three of my kids were in elementary school, and my free time was at a premium. I didn’t want to have to waste time figuring it all out, or run the risk of falling of the practice wagon when I was either pinched for time or bummed out due lack of progress.

You should try to make it to Jeff Purtle’s Brass Conference this summer. I’ll also second Kevin’s recommendation to join a local group if you can - it will teach you almost as much as Bruce will!

good luck,
cinci-sop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:
Your group is based in Columbus? That must be hard. I wish I did have a standing group but can't quite swing it now.

It is tough some times. It takes up pretty much the entire day. Things at home get neglected at times. It sure helps having an understanding wife that supports you.

If you ever get the desire to kill a Saturday, let me know. We are always looking for cornet players.

David Roberts wrote:
acritzer,
Bruce is faithful to the CG approach, and you’ll find over time that he’s been down the path personally, so he can really zero in on what’s happening with your playing.

I can second that comment
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to read with you guys sometimes I suppose, but I don't have a cornet and haven't blown on one for a LONG time. I wouldn't be able to do it often, but I'll at least run it by my wife.

cinci-sop wrote:
acritzer wrote:

It is tough some times. It takes up pretty much the entire day. Things at home get neglected at times. It sure helps having an understanding wife that supports you.

If you ever get the desire to kill a Saturday, let me know. We are always looking for cornet players.

David Roberts wrote:
acritzer,
Bruce is faithful to the CG approach, and you’ll find over time that he’s been down the path personally, so he can really zero in on what’s happening with your playing.

I can second that comment
cinci-sop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:
I'd love to read with you guys sometimes I suppose, but I don't have a cornet and haven't blown on one for a LONG time. I wouldn't be able to do it often, but I'll at least run it by my wife.

Just let me know. I have one you can use. PM me if you decide to give it a go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: