• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Ambassador vs. new 500-700$ trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rafa1982

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Olds Ambassador vs. new 500-700$ trumpet Reply with quote

I'm looking for buying a new trumpet. I've started playing the trumpet a couple of years ago, and I do it as a hobby, and really enjoy it. I wanted to by a new trumpet, and found an Olds Ambassadors from the 40's in very good conditions. My question is, is it a better deal, than buying a new Yamaha 2335 or a Bach TR 300 for example? i'm looking to spend around 500-650$...

I know it's a very strong and will last for a long while, but I'm 29 and use it either at home or in a studio, so I'm not going to drag it around the football field before class!

thanks
rafa
googanelli
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is in good mechanical condition, I would say yes. You should easily get your money back out of it if you decide to sell it. Yamaha makes a great student horn, but the olds is known for being a great player. I had one I got for my cousin to play and rather liked it.

Joe
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices go up and down with supply. 3 years ago I watched an Olds Ambassador that was like new in every way the finish was 100% the pistons where new etc........It was bought played once or twice and then put away in a closet for 40 years. It sold for $180 it had one dime sized ding in it. On the other hand some people want $400 for a beat up, tarnished, scratched and dinged up LA Olds Ambassador that I think is worth about $50.

Because Olds Ambassadors where made in the millions (not literal) from 1940-1979 and sold as student models they are often abused as student models and rental horns. So while I absolutely love the Olds Ambassador I would say that in the price range you are looking it should be either just like brand new or it should have been restored to like new and not need anything the finish, the leadpipe, the slides and valves should all be in like condition.

I would have a look at CarolBrass's student horn. It is not at all a student horn in how it plays or sounds. Imagine taking a nice ProHorn and keeping all the parts that matter Pro level then dressing it down in cheaper braces, cheaper valve caps, making it out of all brass no nickel,red brass or copper trim etc.......$400 and you get basicly a Bach 37 bell and Bach 25 pipe hand hammered one piece bell and super smooth stainless steel pistons! http://www.xstreammouthpieces.com/category/carol-brass-trumpets/student-bb-trumpets/

IF you want an intonation aid on the fisrt valve get the intermediate model for $600 http://www.xstreammouthpieces.com/category/carolbrass-trumpets/intermediate-bb-trumpets.
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the Olds Ambassador has the best sound of the 3.

Darkest, richest sound vs Yammie or Bach 300.

And solid.

So if you find a good one at a fair price ...
Albuquerque Duke
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Olds Ambassador vs. new 500-700$ trumpet Reply with quote

rafa1982 wrote:
I'm looking for buying a new trumpet. I've started playing the trumpet a couple of years ago, and I do it as a hobby, and really enjoy it. I wanted to by a new trumpet, and found an Olds Ambassadors from the 40's in very good conditions. My question is, is it a better deal, than buying a new Yamaha 2335 or a Bach TR 300 for example? i'm looking to spend around 500-650$...

I know it's a very strong and will last for a long while, but I'm 29 and use it either at home or in a studio, so I'm not going to drag it around the football field before class!

thanks
rafa

Usually, yes. Good luck.
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds Ambassadors are great horns and can be found very cheaply, but I would also recommend the Getzen 490. I believe it is marketed as an advanced student/intermediate level horn, but I have played one and it was just as good as my Olds Ambassador, maybe even better with the Getzen valves. I know that Nick Drozdoff plays one and loves it.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds all the way. At the price they can be had, you can add bore optimization and valve alignment and you have a really solid player. If you want to spend a few more bucks for something new, look at the Kanstul KTR700 - a fantastic player in that price range, and in the same lineage as the Olds.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
KanstulBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that the Olds instruments are already proven to A) play well and B) last for decades. Will the other instruments on your list hold up over time? Remains to be seen, but 30 years from now the Olds will still be playable I think...

(Kanstul, Shires, BAC, Benge)
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F.E. Olds Nut wrote:
Olds Ambassadors are great horns and can be found very cheaply, but I would also recommend the Getzen 490. I believe it is marketed as an advanced student/intermediate level horn, but I have played one and it was just as good as my Olds Ambassador, maybe even better with the Getzen valves. I know that Nick Drozdoff plays one and loves it.

+1

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Olds all the way. At the price they can be had, you can add bore optimization and valve alignment and you have a really solid player. If you want to spend a few more bucks for something new, look at the Kanstul KTR700 - a fantastic player in that price range, and in the same lineage as the Olds.

+1 Absolutely!
Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
hankinsmd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Olds all the way. At the price they can be had, you can add bore optimization and valve alignment and you have a really solid player.

What is "bore optimization?'"

-Mike
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hankinsmd wrote:
What is "bore optimization?"

It's what occurs when you lock kids in a room without an Xbox or ps3.

As for the ambassadors, if you can get one for a couple hundred bucks, go for it. But I'd you have high aspirations for your playing, I'd suggest getting something a bit better. Those Olds can be stuffballs.

I'm a big fan of Schagerl's new line of "student" model trumpets. They're available through Washington Music Center and are the best new horns available in that price range. And they also have nice rotaries... But they're a bit pricier...

There are a lot of nice horns to be had on eBay, too. Some used Strads go for the 7-800 mark.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
hankinsmd wrote:
What is "bore optimization?"

It's what occurs when you lock kids in a room without an Xbox or ps3.

What's Xbox or ps3?

As for the ambassadors, if you can get one for a couple hundred bucks, go for it. But I'd you have high aspirations for your playing, I'd suggest getting something a bit better. Those Olds can be stuffballs.

Maybe you're a stuffball, or maybe the horn needs bore optimization and valve alignment. It's very common for people to throw big fluffy felts in the valves and mess up the upstroke alignment.

I'm a big fan of Schagerl's new line of "student" model trumpets. They're available through Washington Music Center and are the best new horns available in that price range. And they also have nice rotaries... But they're a bit pricier...

They're not made in America.

There are a lot of nice horns to be had on eBay, too. Some used Strads go for the 7-800 mark.

They'll need the same bore opt and PVA, which puts them at $1000 - $1100, still a good deal.

crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hankinsmd wrote:
crzytptman wrote:
Olds all the way. At the price they can be had, you can add bore optimization and valve alignment and you have a really solid player.

What is "bore optimization?'"

-Mike

It's examining the entire bore with a fiber optic, looking for and correcting imperfections such as excess solder and misaligned joints.

I've also found that those Ambassadors benefit from a penny in the 3rd valve cap. I actually use a brass washer, but it sounds cooler to say penny.
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be annoying, I want to add a Kanstul 610 to the list, although you might have a little trouble finding one. I find that it plays a hair brighter than an LA Ambassador, but with an easier range above the staff, and better slots above high C, (although I don't go there a lot.) Used Kanstul 700s don't seem to be for sale very often either.

But! You do mention $700 as your top range, and for dependability and joy of having something new, why don't you just save a little more and get a new horn?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would vote for a Yamaha student horn anytime. I started on the Olds over 40 years ago. It was sturdy but that's the only positive. It had little in common with a pro horn, while yammies do.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
rafa1982

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody! thanks a lot for all the replys! I ended up buying the Olds Ambassador. I chose to buy something much better than the one I had, and if in a couple of years I'm still playing I'll get a pro one.

I've tried out the yamaha 2335 and the olds ambassador and for the price difference the ambassador convinced me. it's really in top shape, the valves work perfectly it's really amazing.

I have it now for one week and I'm really satisfied.

thanks
Rafa
guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: olds ambass... Reply with quote

My daugther play's a 54 ambassador .Real fast valves ,crisp sound ,good register.plays almost as nice than my strad.37 but needs polishing avery other mo. Guy
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Now the fun begins!

Drop a Flip Oakes personal in the Ambassador, take a really deep breath, and you will sound like Chris Botti. Or, plop in a Joe Marcinkiewicz E19 personal, and you can scream and annoy the neighbors.

Seriously, I traded my Ambassador in on a Recording in 1963, and finally replaced it a couple of years ago. My go-to is a Kanstul, but for nostalgia and youth renewal, I take out the Ambassador.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
...I've also found that those Ambassadors benefit from a penny in the 3rd valve cap. I actually use a brass washer, but it sounds cooler to say penny.

A dime will make it ten times better...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: