• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Greg Black "Legends Series Mouthpieces"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Def Trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Greg Black "Legends Series Mouthpieces" Reply with quote

http://www.legendseriesmouthpieces.com/brass/woody-shaw/

Anybody try these yet?
I've heard great things about Greg Black pieces. This looks kind of cool even as just an homage to Woody.

"The Woody Shaw Legends Series mouthpiece is an exact reproduction of Woody Shaw’s silver plated mouthpiece from the 1970s. Expert brass mouthpiece maker, Greg Black, has created an authentic mold that pays tribute to one of the most forward-thinking and innovative trumpet players of all time.

The Woody Shaw mouthpiece features a silver plating throughout, 15.75MM, .620″ inner rim, semi flat rim contour, medium wide rim thickness, medium deep bowl cup depth and a bore – #26, (.147″, 3.73MM)."
ACB 3CS
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look interesting. The Louis Armstrong piece is very large:

17.40MM, .685″ inner rim, a flat rim contour, medium wide rim thickness, double cup, cup depth, and a .140″, 3.55MM bore.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Greg Black "Legends Series Mouthpieces" Reply with quote

Def Trumpet wrote:
Anybody try these yet?
Yep...I was at his shop for the "unveiling"
Very cool...just not my speed
Tom Stewart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Woody Shaw played a stock 7C. So is this replica piece just an exact copy of a Bach 7C?
Blue Trane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Woody Shaw played a Bach 5C. How much do these mpces sell for?
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Greg Black "Legends Series Mouthpieces" Reply with quote

Funny!!! I met Woody around 1980 in the elevator going up to Giardinelli's in NYC. He told me he was playing a Bach 43 bell trumpet with a Bach 3C mouthpiece. Shortly after that he switched to a Bach 181 long bell cornet. FWIW!!!

Butch
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a copy of an older Bach 7C when the diameters ran smaller and, perhaps, he found an extra good one as Bach was never known for their quality control. Maybe it was his main piece for awhile. I also heard he used a 3c at times during his career. And some are saying 5C too. Maybe this 7C he used earlier on?
Www.LexSamu.com
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always heard it was a 5C, but who knows. I don't recall ever hearing about him playing anything that was particularly customized (though he did speak of Bach working with him on his horns to get them just right for him during the Stepping Stones period). I seem to recall someone (Wilmer Wise?) saying that he played on Woody's Bach and didn't care for it at all, but don't quote me on that.

There aren't a lot of guys that come along that play like Woody, and the secret wasn't the mouthpiece.
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old topic,but I remember Woody Shaw playing a 5c bach mouthpiece..maybe he switched on occasion,I don't know,but we used to talk trumpet talk,and at the time(late 70`s) it was 5c.I was always trying to pick his brain on how he got around the horn like that,and how it sounded like everything he played was so in the moment..One time he just laughed and said "Practice Tangerine in C#"..You know,shed all the keys on standards.He was a monster..I know Richie Vitale hung out with him a lot,and he attributes a lot of his growth to Woody
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: