• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul 102 G Powerbore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Kanstul 102 G Powerbore Reply with quote

Model 102 G Powerbore Soprano Bugle
I'm curious about how it plays. I'm not a bugle player at all. I play trumpet and cornet. I just wonder if anyone has played this horn enough to know what it is like. Does this horn work somewhere other than a bugle band?
-Mark Walberg
tonguepushups

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played this horn for a few years. It's basically a cornet in G with a .470" bore and a trumpet shank. The "Powerbore" means that it has a long heavy mouthpiece receiver. The bell taper is long and wide to give it some power. I'm pretty sure they're the best soprano bugle available if that means anything and I don't know where using one would be appropriate these days. All junior drum and bugle corps have phased out instruments keyed in G. I think some senior corps still use them.

Try it with a CG Personal mouthpiece.

I've got many good memories of putting my heart and soul through one of these horns back when I was young, nimble and had chops.

Good luck. Have fun!
Trumpcyms1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are the best 3valve sopranos made. If you ever need to use one it probably be in a drum corp setting. most senior corps and DCA corps still use them. But to my knowledge a drum corp setting is the only time it would be used. and they project alot farther then a trumpet. if you need a bugle that would be the one to get.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpcyms1993 wrote:
they are the best 3valve sopranos made. If you ever need to use one it probably be in a drum corp setting. most senior corps and DCA corps still use them. But to my knowledge a drum corp setting is the only time it would be used. and they project alot farther then a trumpet. if you need a bugle that would be the one to get.

My thoughts exactly.

"Cream of the crop" of G bugles.
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at my Avatar!

I play a custom made regular Kanstul Sop with a Power-Bore Bell. It plays fantastic!!!

I opted out of the recviever because my mouthpiece (a semi-heavyweight) would not insert into the receiver (a longer, heavyweight receiver).

The bell is the same bell that is on Kanstul's Coliseum Trumpet, but as I understand, was developed for the Flip Oaks "Wild Thing" Trumpet.

Either way, this is the best valve Bugle made. Hands down!

The merits of the "G" horns are a bit misaligned. They truly are fantastic sounding horns. A very warm sound when played so, yet you can still light a fire when you want to also. A very versatile instrument. There a great "bridge" between a Coronet and a Trumpet.

Some may find this article interesting: http://www.monette.net/newsite/online/Newsletter2008Summer/RonMilesSATTVA.htm
Kanstul G Soprano (Powerbore Bell)
Yamaha YTR-739T
Xtream XZ w/ XXX backbore GREAT MP!!!
http://freelancers-alumni.org
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Youtube Monette made a G trumpet or cornet I can not recall now for one of his Pro clients. It is interesting to watch the video it will give you some idea's on what direction you can take and how you would use a G trumpet, bugle,cornet in real life. I think this is especially true in virtuoso settings and jazz etc.....
googanelli
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one sitting right next to me. They are wonderful horns. They are built rather well. Everyone comments on the valves when they play mine. You can usually pick them up on ebay used for around 500.

Joe
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think this is especially true in virtuoso settings and jazz etc.....

Me! A Virtuoso !!! I don't think so Tim !

You defiantly can't approach the instrument "exactly" the same way as you do a Trumpet, but is quite a manageable transition.

I think you can use it in an Orchestra setting. Especially the lower parts. Defiantly capable of warm, dark tone.
Kanstul G Soprano (Powerbore Bell)
Yamaha YTR-739T
Xtream XZ w/ XXX backbore GREAT MP!!!
http://freelancers-alumni.org
Trumpcyms1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still havent tried a g bugle yet makes me sad ive been looking on ebay for some good ones and have seen some go for cheap just havent pulled the trigger on one yet. I think getting one and restoring a used one would be a fun project. and considering i live in florida there arent really any all age corps near by that i could use it with. one day ill play one with a corp haha one day
KanstulBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late Clare Fischer recorded a terrific album in 1998 called "Clare Fischer's Jazz Corps" using Kanstul G bugles:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/clarefischer2

(Kanstul, Shires, BAC, Benge)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: