• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benge Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who out there plays on a Benge cornet? I'm a fan of Benge trumpets but I've never played a cornet. How do they compare to the Bachs, Yamahas, Schilkes, etc, etc?

JU
Downunder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first Benge cornet about 25 years ago! It's the short model and a large bore. I was the envy of everyone in my (brass) band when I got it! Beautiful instrument.

I purchased 4 late model (UMI) ones at an auction about 2 years ago and kept 2 of them - 1 lacquered and 1 silver. They are also very nice instruments. They are a lot better than Sovereigns, Getzens and many others. They probably don't play as freely as a Schilke, however they are not as bright either. I've had several people compare them to the Yamaha Maestro (Phil McCann) model and all preferred the Benge. Bach cornets are very nice, however it comes down to personal preference as with a lot of trumpets.

Just a month ago I obtained the very last Benge cornet out of the UMI factory for a friend of mine here in Sydney. Earlier this year I bought several others for a local band and a couple of players I know who wanted their own cornets. They all had a slightly smaller bell than the earlier models for some reason. Mine have 5" bells and the last ones they made have 4.75" bells. I've no idea why.

I currently play a silver Wild Thing (at least it looks like a Benge!!). It is a sensational cornet. I'll never sell my Benges though!

I have just recently become a dealer for the Zeus instruments here in Australia and will be posting an independent review of the Zeus cornet on this forum shortly. Anyone who plays one will be surprised at how good they are. The consistency of sound over the whole range is outstanding. Once I get a few more of them here I will be playing one myself - at the moment I can't get my hands on one because everyone wants to try it!

My brother recently sold his long model medium bore Benge cornet. It was also a terrific instrument, such a nice looking thing and very nice to play.

Stephen Williams
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruby Braff played a Benge long model cornet.
Being, ahem, "vertically challenged", he once claimed that if he were to hold a full-sized trumpet, he would fall flat on his nose...

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: