• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

thank you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintageking04

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

thank you

Last edited by vintageking04 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephen Haynes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: King Cornet Reply with quote

Try this site for info on King cornets:
http://www.hnwhite.com/Cornet%20Page.htm

Schilke XA1 Cornet
Schilke Soprano Cornet
Schilke 1040 FL-S Flugelhorn
Schilke X4L Tuning Bell Trumpet
& a host of vintage cornets, flugelhorns and low brass

Stork Custom Vacchiano Mouthpieces
vintageking04

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I already stumbled upon that site and dated the horn to 1904. I'm curious now if this horn is valuable and something that trumpet players want. It really is a fine work of art and is in great shape and plays just as well. I'm trying to find out the value of it to know if I should let my son use it or is it something to collect or sell to an aspiring musician.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No cornet is all that desirable these days with respect to most people are playing trumpets and only a few are playing cornets. The obvious exception is the UK where their brass band tradition requires cornets instead of trumpets. You will find the occasional lover of the cornet; I sold all of mine because I have nowhere to play them.

There's no reason your son can't use it if he takes care of it. That would be true of any instrument; only you know your son. Cheap or expensive, respect and taking care of the instrument doesn't change.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated, the cornet suffers from diminished popularity. Obviously, everything is worth "something" and items from that era are becoming more valuable overall. Your cornet may even be of some interest to non-players. Condition is everything and ebay is a great place to start. Finding the "right" buyer is key. A listing one month may bring few bidders, a month later it may find top dollar. Luck of the draw. If you do list on ebay, GOOD-quality photos and plenty of them are the key to maximizing revenue.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King H.N White built both High Pitch (HP) and Low Pitch(LP) horns, but early on the High Pitch was more common. You should have someone test it out to find out, because only a LP model will be compatible with currently built instruments. Your son would not be able to play in tune in an ensemble on a HP model.

I have a small bore model from the same era which is LP. It is a nice player considering it has numerous small dents in the crooks. I paid a bit over $100 for it and got the horn and original case, and a King Cleveland Superior trumpet too.
Stephen Haynes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In improvising circles, I see/hear more and more from the cornet, and not always as a double but, rather, as a primary horn. And this from colleagues who are active recording and touring.

Taylor Ho Bynum, Graham Haynes, Ron Miles and Rob Mazurek come to mind. And then there are the border-crossers (trumpet/cornet) who manage to enter the cornet essence in an authentic manner. Dennis Gonzalez and Herb Robertson fit this category, as do I.

Right now, I am getting acquainted with the Conn Constellation Short Model Cornet. The .485 bore is fascinating, once one finds one's way into it. Before this, I thought my trumpet was large at .468. How little did I know.

I love the trumpet, but I am rooting for the cornet. That's what I began with in 1963, a Conn Director.

Schilke XA1 Cornet
Schilke Soprano Cornet
Schilke 1040 FL-S Flugelhorn
Schilke X4L Tuning Bell Trumpet
& a host of vintage cornets, flugelhorns and low brass

Stork Custom Vacchiano Mouthpieces
vintageking04

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your suggestion would be to put it on the uk ebay to make money. It is a very rare horn and I have not seen any online with a serial number even close to this. I don't even know what it will draw in. I see cornets online going for 1k-3k.
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is you are in the UK where the cornet is more popular. You might also want to check with some of the shops and serious cornet players/collectors if you happen to know any. They might be able to give you a better idea of value prior to listing. he key to getting a good price on something with potentially high value but limited appeal is exposure. One strategy is to list it in successive auctions with a rather high Buy-It-Now price, then reduce the price gradually or allow "offers" on the item. Best of luck!
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you aren't just a player and will keep it. If you want to sell it and mazimize the return, you will not get 1K, even if it is perfect, unless you can find someone who wants it badly enough. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: