• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen mp question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldKid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3580 came with a Getzen 4B. It's deeper with a bigger backbore than what I'm use to but it makes the horn sound great. Anybody know what it is equivilant too from other manufactures. DW4B, YAM16E ? maybe?
King (early 50's) Super 20 B1.5C
Pocket Max B1.5C
Arban's
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just now noticed that you play a Bach 1B on your trumpet. I played that mouthpiece for a couple years and had excellent results.

Then I got labeled as a lead player, and was working too hard and made a change . . . but enough of that.

Back to the cornet mouthpiece. In my past year-and-a-half (or more) of buying and selling and trading many, many horns, I've been playing a whole slew of different mouthpieces, just to see how all these historic and/or interesting-looking mouthpieces feel. The cool thing is that my mouthpiece sensitivity sorta faded, and I can pick up most any mouthpiece (within reason, of course) and play it. The extremes (very huge or very tiny) still mess with me, but the gray areas in-between are all fairly manageable.

Granted, I still play one basic mouthpiece in public. But at home, it's fun to be able to go back and forth between many mouthpieces and not have it wreak havoc with my chops, as was the case not so terribly long ago.

What I'm getting at is this: it doesn't matter (to me) anymore what is a match for what, or what this is equivalent to in something else. If you like the sound, then I'm thinking that your chops will be able to go back and forth between your new Getzen cornet mouthpiece and any other mouthpiece you play. If you do it a lot, I'm guessing that your chops will be able to handle the slight difference.

Sorta like going back and forth between trumpet and trombone. My chops just know which horn I'm playing and function accordingly.

If this makes no sense to you, well, sorry about that. It might be food for thought for somebody else, though.

Rich
OldKid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No what you are saying makes perfect sense. The Getzen mp is much deeper with a huge back bore compared to my Bach 1.5B. It gives the cornet a much mellower sound without much edge. Trouble is I have to work my (!) off to get the high register. If I could find out what this thing is equivalent too I might be able to find something with similar dimensions without such a huge backbore.
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldKid,

I just checked the Getzen website - since your mouthpiece is labeled 4B and, judging from the picture of the 3580 cornet, even looks like a Denis Wick, I think it´s safe to assume that is is a faithful copy of the DW.
Unfortunately, it is already the smallest mpc Wick makes, so you´ll have to look somewhere else for an alternative...

Martin
dannystone10
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 4B is not the smallest mouthpiece Denis Wick makes - there is a 4.5, a 5 and an S (for soprano, i believe) beneath that...

Regards!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldkid
try a Warburton 2DD top with 10 bbore one of the best trad cornet sounding mpcs in the market.

Last edited by giakara on Tue May 31, 2005 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny,

thanks for pointing that out. I should have been more specific.
I was referring to the size 4 mouthpieces. I figured since OldKid plays a Bach 1.5B on trumpet, he probably won´t want to go smaller than a Wick 4 in diameter.

Martin

[ This Message was edited by: Martin on 2003-10-28 08:14 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: