• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing with braces?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lb557

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Playing with braces? Reply with quote

Hi fellow players. I have been playing trumpet for over 5 years now, and I have a big problem. I got braces close to a year ago, and I haven't played the same since. My high range is terrible. On bad days I can't play past my high C. On good days I can get to E, and maybe a F if I'm lucky. The braces have not only ruined my high range, but my sound is airy, and I can't play high notes for prolonged periods of time because my braces press again'st my lips and hurt. I've been thinking about braces bumpers. My typical warmup is some longtones, some clark studies and fingering exercises. The worst part of all of this, is today we had a test in my highschool band to determine the seating arrangement (i.e. first chair, second chair...) I have last chair, all becuase the test was how many notes of the chromatic scale you can play. I have the scale memorized, however I'm the only trumpet who plays with braces, so everyone played higher than me. I feel like a crappy player right now, and I really want to be able to play higher. Any advice?

(Also I play a Rick Baptist E8 mouthpiece.)

Thanks!
Ekim Gram
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, welcome to TH.

Secondly, that sounds like an awful way to seat trumpet players. Not only does it reinforce the false notion of the person who plays the highest is the better player, but it creates an atmosphere where just practicing to play high will be the goal. I would not worry about your seating at this point.

Braces happen. I've never had them personally but it's a thing that, unfortunately, many brass players end up having to endure.

Do you have a (good) private teacher? A teacher would be your best tool in coping to play with braces (and developing as a trumpet player & musician!). If not, here are some recommendations from a stranger on the Internet who doesn't know you (meaning, take what I say with a grain of salt, adjust whatever to your own needs, what works for me or others might not necessarily work for you)

- Forget about playing high. You have braces. Get over it, deal with it. If you start to try and force things by jamming your mouthpiece into your face full of metal you put yourself at risk of temporary and permanent damage which will hinder your playing for years to come. Use this time to focus on developing other skills such as sight reading, singing, intonation, technique, the list goes on. There is more to playing trumpet than playing high notes.

- Rest more often when you practice, use more pressure, get used to the feel of the braces and be very patient. You mentioned your sound being unsatisfactory so why not do exercises to work on that? Long tones, smooth tones, slow and quiet scales. Find out what works and keep at it. Clarke #1 is going to be your best friend at this point. Start with the exercise starting on low F# and get used to the feel. Do it several times over, slow, fast, moderately, focus on having a nice relaxed feeling on your face and don't move on to the next one until you feel comfortable with the current.

I had more in mind to say but I think that's a good start and I'm sure others on here who have more experience than I with braces will be able to offer you some insight.
lb557

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

I do have a teacher, he's been helping me, but I just feel discouraged and like a crappy player, especially after my placement today.
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just had my braces removed so i know what your going through

the books that saved my life were Stamp, Clark, and Irons. If you follow the teachings in these books no part of trumpet playing will be an issue for you with braces.
Pinsel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about some Mr. Armstutz who is a professor or something for trumpet. By coincidence I discovered that he helds a patent for "braceguard". I think he did some studies on tongue arch or whatever, thats why I was doing research on him.

Maybe this will help you...

http://www.braceguard.com/
mistermatt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a lot of brass students that have been down the braces road in the past 8 years and unfortunately there is no easy solution. Every situation was different and there was no sure fire method to solving the problem.

I recommend starting with whatever note you can get the best sound on at this point. Take the time to find that note and work from there. Like others have said, don't worry about playing high and do not compare yourself to others or even to yourself before braces. You are in new territory now!

Practice playing extremely soft and don't expect overnight progress -- it will take some time, but know that while you are working out these issues you are building on a new foundation that will give you GREAT success once those braces come off! Focus on relaxed, soft playing and don't worry too much about the other stuff.

Will it be difficult? Absolutely. Consider it an exercise in patience. When you get through this, and you will, you will be a monster player!

You can be a solid 2nd or 3rd player right now if you work this out. Don't worry about 1st chair. Be where you are! It will come!
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it sucks, but remember you are not the first player to suffer through braces. There are plenty of very accomplished brass players who have been where you are now and have come out better on the other side. Be certain you will encounter many obstacles in your way as you grow up (and even more after you've grown up); this is just one on a long list. Refuse to let it get the best of you!

As you have already discovered, you need to be prepared for some frustration and discomfort. Notes that you could hit before will take a while to come back and your tone and endurance are likely to take hits too. Also, you will likely have periodic set-backs each time the orthodontist tightens your hardware. Remember to tell yourself, "temporary inconvenience, permanent improvement".

Some folks have good luck with Morgan Bumpers (or similar competing products). They are plastic strips that fit over your hardware. My son tried them briefly a while after he had gotten his braces and decided that he might have liked them more if he'd started with them as soon as the braces went on. Ultimately he decided he couldn't be bothered.

There is also a mouthpiece out there that was developed specifically for players with braces. Switching to it might make you more comfortable. I think it is made by Greg Black. My son stuck with the mouthpiece he'd been playing so I can't give you any feedback. You might try the search function here on TH; you should find a little info about it.

Also, check the Childrens Music Workshop website. There is a fairly lengthy discussion that might help you a bit. Talk to your teacher. He or she may not realize how frustrated you are but they will be able to help. Teachers LOVE having students who are commited to self-improvement.

Good luck - it will get better. Your braces will only beat you if you let them. If nothing else, it is a good opportunity to learn to play with less pressure.

Barney
Bucaneer61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with all the above excellent advice, I would like to say that the second and third, fourth, etc. parts are JUST as important as the first parts, first chair,, etc. Back when I was a band director, I used to ask the "better" players to also take turns on the lower parts, switching in and out, so that all got to play a bit of everything. It worked very well and the band benefitted from the process. The younger folks got to play beside the more accomplished players and the accomp. players found out that the other parts had their own set of challenges.

Keep practicing - things will get better. Braceguards work for some and not for others. Ask your teacher his opinion.

Michael
Blessing Artist Flugelhorn, rose brass bell
Accent Picc by B & S
Conn 28B Concert Grand Bb - 1925
Martin Handcraft Imperial - 1937
lb557

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your ideas and support! I placed an order for the Morgan Bumpers today. My teacher has had me doing clark studies already, and they seem to be slowly helping. I'm just looking forward to next summer when I will finally be free from these horrible pieces of metal.
TrumpetMadness

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice already! When I had braces many years ago, I spent much of my practice time working on things that would transfer when I got my braces off: sight reading, transposition, multiple tonguing, fast fingers. Just be smart in your practice and don't hurt yourself. Good luck with the braces!
MrGBand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there. It will get better. I have had student's in the same boat. Some of it is mental. You have to develop a positive attitude (I know it's hard!) Thinking negative will not help you get better.

BTW, doe you have any other dental contraptions installed? In my experience some of the other stuff that go along with the braces are far worse.
Pic Yahama 6810s
Josh_W

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing trumpet in fifth grade, got braces in the seventh grade, and got them off my junior year of high school. I know exactly how crappy playing with braces is. Especially at the foundation building stage of playing.

I always had some sort of cut or sore (sometimes even more like a gash) in my mouth from the day I got them to the day that I got them off. It's awful. I honestly don't have any advice for you other than practice even harder. I know that it will cause some discomfort, but it'll eventually toughen those chops up. If your as competitive as I am (especially in high school), you eventually won't even think about the pain. As a matter of fact, to this day (about seven years later) I still have a scar on my lip from braces cutting into my face for all of those years.

My high school had a band of about 20 trumpets....When I got my braces off, i went from first chair to third chair (luckily we had "challenges"... where I could get my rightful spot back). It took a pretty rigorous practice schedule for me to get back into good playing shape (I'll try to find a copy of my practice schedule that I used for you... it might help).

The good thing is, once you get those things off... you will have learned the art of not using much pressure while playing_ your range will go even higher, your sound will be even better.. and many other perks.

Just don't give up. Keep blowing and working at it. You'll get there, man!
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a student that had braces and the 1st thing I did was remove the pinkie ring (it is my horn that I loan to students).

It is too easy (and very tempting) to pull the Trumpet into your face with more pressure when playing higher notes.

It helped to keep him from using too much pressure on his chops (especially when playing higher notes) thus trapping his lips against the braces and causing the pain you mentioned.

He turned out to be a good player and even better when they removed his braces.

Forcing yourself not to use the pinkie ring on your horn might help you as you develop your chops using less pressure.

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: