• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

playing trumpet with TMJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danielle.a

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: playing trumpet with TMJ Reply with quote

I have always been determined to be a professional trumpet player. I went to FSU for my bachelors and DePaul for my Masters. During the summer before moving to Chicago for grad school, I had my wisdom teeth removed, it was a long extraction. I tried to be patient after the surgery to start playing again, but I was heading to Aspen the next month and wanted to be ready! Mistake, do not rush this process. For people that have small mouths, wisdom teeth extraction can put major trauma on the jaw and mouth, and needs plenty of time to heal. We all hate taking time off and are eager to push through the pain, but it always is the right choice to wait. So basically, that whole debacle, added with trying to adjust to an overload of consecutive hours of playing in grad school, caused my jaw some extreme pain. Some doctors say it was from the surgery, some say it was from the trumpet playing, but I will never really know. Ive struggled with this for about 4 years now and decided the pain and frustration is not worth it. I am not completely giving up trumpet, I still teach and play here and there, but I have moved on to different life goals for myself. One of those includes being a dentist; I want to help people like me! And figure this nonsense out. I am starting my premed degree at northwestern next week.
I wanted to tell my story and reach out to anyone else in the trumpet community who has had similar struggles. Thanks for reading!
Rob Rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that you had to give up your life's dream, but glad that you have found another goal. Best of luck in your dental studies and your new career.

When I was in high school, playing the trumpet was an important part of my life even though I knew I would never be good enough to be a professional. When the dentist advised that I have my wisdom teeth extracted, for logistical reasons it was only possible to do two of them at once. The dentist then advised that I have the remaining two removed the following year; however, I did not do so, largely because it would have interered with my ability to play the horn at a time (my senior year of high school) when I had the opportunity to perform that I knew would never come again.

Well, its now almost forty years later and I'm still dentally unbalanced. Every time I get a little twinge on the right side of my jaw, I worry that the two remaining molars might be acting up -- which fills me with fear because removing them at this point would require blasting through about half of my head.

Rob Rothman
jcstites
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with premed at Northwestern! You always sounded great, even while dealing with the pain! Glad to hear you aren't giving up on trumpet, but now you can play because you want to and not because you have to for $.

I went to school with Danielle at FSU and we played in a quintet together at Aspen, she is a monster player!

Keep in touch, D!
danielle.a

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding Rob, so do you still play at all? That's a bummer that you are still getting pain in your mouth. Yeah, it's a tough decision to make as a kid, to get your wisdom teeth out or not. My doctor told me I didn't have a choice, because my mouth was small and there was a risk of infection. But many people have the option of only taking a few out or even letting them come in if they have enough room (which I am so envious of)! But I definitely wish that I had gone to an oral surgeon who was familiar with the importance of the mouth and jaw muscles to a brass player. And these days, with websites like yelp, it probably is easier to find a dentist that fits your needs. But that is definitely something I want to specialize in.
kadleck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle -

Congrats on this new phase in your life. I'm sorry to hear of your struggle. I suffer from TMJ (though not as severe as yours), which also may have been a result of wisdom tooth removal.

Anyway, it will be nice to have another brass player dentist out there!

Tony Kadleck
danielle.a

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stites, it's great to hear from you, I hope all is well!
danielle.a

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, thanks for your message. No need to get into specifics, but I was just wondering how TMJ affected your playing, since I have not heard of many others with this same problem as me before.
Rob Rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle, to answer your question, I have not played for 35 years, although not for reasons related to my teeth. Just last week, I brought my old horn into the repair shop, and when I get it back I intend to start on the long road to a comeback. I hope I have the drive to see it through.

I don't really have much pain from the remaining wisdom teeth; its more that, if I feel anything at all (basically, an ocassional twinge) I'm afraid that I might be starting to have the problems that I've been warned about.

Rob Rothman
PookDog78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle, just out of curiosity, did you have your wisdom teeth extracted by a dentist or an oral surgeon? I had an oral surgeon perform the procedure because of my concerns about my playing (I had mine out the summer between undergrad and grad school). I had heard about the possibility of nerve damage but I didn't know there was also the potential for developing TMJ. I don't have TMJ but my jaw does get quite tired and sore when I'm playing a lot.
I'm glad there will be a dentist around who really understands the issues we trumpet players face. Good luck!
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused by the title of this thread. The original poster's problem has nothing to do with TMJ. I guess as med classes progress, the poster will figure that out.

DH
John R Davidson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by John R Davidson on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
danielle.a

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pookdog: I did get them removed by an oral surgeon, which is just a specialty of dentistry. I also had some nerve damage but luckily nothing too serious. Like I said I cant be sure if the extraction was responsible for the TMJ, and neither are any of the dentists ive been to. I'm just inferring that it was partially responsible for some of my prolonged pain, because of all the stress it put on my jaw. Anyway, Thanks for the post!
danielle.a

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthick: I'm sorry for the confusion; I play trumpet, and I have TMJ, and I was simply putting my story out there. I am not blaming TMJ for being the sole purpose of my pain and trouble playing. But after seeing dozens of dentists and doctors, that was the most common 'diagnosis' for my discomfort and difficulty playing. I have read your pedagogy book and the section on TMJ. Was there something else about TMJ you could add to my post?

Last edited by danielle.a on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
danielle.a

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your horror story of wisdom teeth surgery! I guess when they are impacted, there is not much else they can do to get them out of there, but it seems like another way needs to be developed. Your tenacity and perseverance are qualities that I am envious of. I tried to push forward and find new ways to do things, and find a way to play without pain, but in the end I felt defeated and needed a break. I plan to come back to it after a little while, and try to figure it out. I need that drive back though, you know! But I will always love trumpet.
I am glad you got through you troubles and are doing well! I will shoot you an email sometime so I can hear more of your story. Thanks so much!
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielle if there is anyone that can help you it is John. He is one of the smartest and most diligent people that anyone could ever hope to meet.

John R Davidson wrote:
better than ever now. I got my chops back just in time to play on Kenny Robinson's latest CD. Thank you Kenny, Brian Moon and thank you Jesus!

John

Now that is keeping good company!

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: