• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Short cornet VS. Long (american) cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

differences in sound/tone quality, blow??

compare their uses.. types/styles of music that works best for each instrument.

why do you play the short cornet?

or

why do you play the long model?

have you played them both to actually compare??

thanks...

rich
OldKid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working with a long cornet for the past month or so and I just acquired a short model so I might be able to come up with a point or 2. As far as tone goes I would place these cornets between a trumpet (bright) and a flugel (dark). The short model would be closer to the flugel and the long bell closer to the Trumpet. Mouthpiece plays a huge role in this. As for the types of music they are intended, the short model is used more for English brass band type music and the long model for Dixieland and jazz. Being a HS band director, I've seen both models used interchangeably with trumpet parts when needed. I find them easier to play certain articulations, such as to trill middle C to D, much easier on cornet than on trumpet. (Arbans Carnival of Venice pg 340). I also find cornets to be better balanced and easier for the player to hear when playing in a section. jmho
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the excellent info. Jazz (standards) is what I spend most of my time doing... my trumpet is a WT with the CGP mpc that makes it about as warm of a sound as I can make.

I'm wondering if a long cornet would sound about the same ... depending on the mouthpiece. Maybe a cornet isn't going to gain me any more dark/rich tone than I already get with the WT.
OldKid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No law against playing Jazz standards on a short cornet. With the right mp it can sound really dark. Give the Sparxmusic.com web site a listen. I think he's playing a Bach 184 short model.

King (early 50's) Super 20 B1.5C
Pocket Max B1.5C
Arban's

[ This Message was edited by: OldKid on 2003-10-28 12:42 ]
Tom K.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a shepherd's crook Bach. I like the looks and shape of the shepherd's crook. It's nice to hold it by the bell bow there, the whole hand fits it. I also play a King 1930s master model C with a rotary switch to Bb but the plumbing is so weird it's hard to know if you should call it a short or long model. I guess short, though it has no crook. It's definitely a light and bright player.
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich have a look at my final post to my plea for help, I just played a shop full of different brands. In general the long models are closer to trumpet and the short make the more traditional cornet sound, though some go into fugel with the right sort of mouthpiece. I ended up getting a Courtois which is a short but must be the most versatile horn I've every played. The stock mp gives you both bright or dark depending on how you blow, more air=brighter and it does loud/soft either way. A shallow benge mp and you could do latin, a deep wicks and you are definitly in the fugel sounding part of the world. I suspect this versitality may come from the gold brass bell. I think it will also give a narrow/wide focus depending on mp but will have to wait on that judgement untill I've played it in band. I was on the lookout for something to play cornet parts mainly in windband but have a feeling I will be able to leave the Strad at home if I want to. I think you should be able to pick up one of these in USA, if you don't have any issues about it being French, at a good discount on recommended price. Certainly one to try IMHO

Hope that helps
Mark

[ This Message was edited by: gmdean on 2003-10-30 12:23 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: