• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Online SKYPE Lessons, Go for it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AxelVanHorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Online SKYPE Lessons, Go for it? Reply with quote

It seems, that some good teachers exist, giving lessons through Skype. Would you suggest such a kind of lesson if a teacher is not in the student's area or near?
musicalmason1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.
AxelVanHorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicalmason1 wrote:
yes.

Suggestions thought PM would be appreciated, I would prefer someone with a web page to read few things about him
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trumpetplayersdirectory.com/trumpetplayersonlinelessons.html ... a list of online trumpet teachers.
aaron
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros:
- Convenient
- You could find a more qualified teacher than whoever lives in your immediate area, especially if you live in a rural area
Cons:
- You need a decent microphone so they can hear your tone
- You need to take care with the setup so the teacher can hear you talk and play
- There is no "hands-on" component. If you have fundamental problems or are a beginner you will be missing out.

Personally I would prefer a longish drive to a skype lesson, or I would try to find a teacher where I could still see them in person once every month or two. Just my $0.02 - I'm a little old-fashioned.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lessons via FaceTime , it works very well. It means I can get the very best tuition available , without leaving my home.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Joćo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don“t know... what I can tell you is that there is nothing like a nice live concert. I think the same about trumpet lessons. There is nothing like a live trumpet lesson.

A good teacher will need to look at you in order to see and correct many aspects if you need.
Good eyes/ears are much better that any web cam or microphone.
Motrpt1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhothorn wrote:
http://www.trumpetplayersdirectory.com/trumpetplayersonlinelessons.html ... a list of online trumpet teachers.

Sad that my teacher (as well as pretty much all MSM, NYU, New School, etc students), Laurie Frink, is not on this list. I know that she does skype lessons, and is one of the best "chop doctors" around. She can instantly diagnose any problems and give exactly the right exercises to fix them.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joćo wrote:
I don“t know... what I can tell you is that there is nothing like a nice live concert. I think the same about trumpet lessons. There is nothing like a live trumpet lesson.

A good teacher will need to look at you in order to see and correct many aspects if you need.
Good eyes/ears are much better that any web cam or microphone.

In an ideal world I'd agree. However if a decent teacher doesn't exist within sensible travelling distance then On Line is the way to go.

Of course speakers and cameras are good enough, otherwise no one would watch TV or buy CD's.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motrpt1 wrote:
Redhothorn wrote:

Sad that my teacher (as well as pretty much all MSM, NYU, New School, etc students), Laurie Frink, is not on this list. I know that she does skype lessons, and is one of the best "chop doctors" around. She can instantly diagnose any problems and give exactly the right exercises to fix them.

Motrpt1 ... I run this website alone and I do not personally know of every single SKYPE Trumpet Teacher out there. That is why I rely on people who WANT to be included on TrumpetPlayersDirectory.com to contact me.

Laurie Frink is the ONLY person who has asked me to completely remove her from the website. Why? You'll have to ask her.

It is comments like yours that make me wonder why I take the time to work on this website to begin with.
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhothorn wrote:

It is comments like yours that make me wonder why I take the time to work on this website to begin with.

Don't stop working on a website like this! I didn't know it existed, but sign me up!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken a couple online lessons, and found them to be useful. I think Aaron sums up the pros and cons very well.

And thanks to Russell for the helpful website.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i seem to recall pops mclaughlin would give ..telephone.. lessons before there was audio visual, so he was on some pretty high level.
i take skype lessons with jeff purtle. there is very little that gets by him. the laptops on either end are quite sufficient to the task.
nothing beats the convenience of a home lesson on the computer. i would be in favor of a face to face lesson from time to time and only when convenient. not much is lost using the online format.
..chuck
alexmoore05

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: skype lessons Reply with quote

I know a trombonist that benefited from sending tapes to a teacher and taking lessons over the phone. I can only imagine that a skype lesson, while not as good as being in the room with the teacher, is a big step up from that, and has potential to be very beneficial.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAJOR recommendation to Dave Sheetz, "Airdyn" on TH, or Chris LaBarbera, "MrHollywood." These guys will have you learning so much ...
BigWil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Steve Dillard for trumpet lessons online Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but it seems still to be a popular one. I took my trumpet lessons online with Steve Dillard. He uses skype and the lessons are live one on one and not recorded. Find him at http://www.horntrader.com

So whatever happened to the URL above? Guess the guy stopped maintaining it. Would love to look over others who are proven horn players giving online trumpet lessons. Maybe there's somebody cheaper than him out there, or maybe not.

Big Wil
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a list of online teachers in this thread:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129926
There are a few teachers listed in recent posts that I haven't added to the list yet, but I'll try to do that soon.

My on experience is that on line lessons work very well. There are teaching skills that are unique to this approach, but my teacher (Bruce Haag) has it down pat. Most of the time the quality of both audio and video is adequate for the teaching situation. You don't need the fidelity of a concert. Because I live in a fairly remote place, and bandwidth isn't what one would like, we have occasionally had to shut down the video and do a lesson entirely in audio. That wasn't ideal, but was far, far better than my struggling on alone, playing Hot Cross Buns out of a beginning method book! Bruce says that for teaching purposes, he relies 90% on the audio and only 10% on the video. Even in a live lesson, the teacher can't see your tongue, and has to rely on the sound to know what you're doing with it. At first I found it a bit creepy that he could tell!

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with jungledoc, I take on line lessons with Jeff Purtle using facetime (now I have an ipad) but before that it was via Skype.

The lessons are fine and I have certainly reaped the benefits of having a regular weekly lesson plan covering all of the CG and other material (Irons, Colin, Arban etc).

Would it be better in person?...I am sure it would be, like hearing Doc live as opposed to a CD and I hope one day to have some in person lessons but the on line option gives me access to the expertise of CG accredited teachers that I simply don't have here in Australia. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose!!

Eric
Viktoras

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, but doesn't trumpet sound distort too much, when you aim your i-pad at you?
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sound problems at all or I am sure Jeff wouldn't do it this way, the face time picture quality and sound on the IPad (must have retina display) is amazing. I don't point the horn at the Ipad, its on a table to my left, and I just blow straight ahead.

Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: