• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

lacquer polishing cloth?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmatice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: lacquer polishing cloth? Reply with quote

I know silver polishing clothes will eventually wear through the silver plating. Do lacquer cloths do likewise or no?
irith
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically it shouldn't. "Lacquer polishing cloths" are generally just soft, microfiber cloths to wipe sweat, oils, etc off.
cmatice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer. Surely the cloth has some chemicals in it, doesn't it? It smells funky Anyways, thanks again.
gchun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy the Selmer/Bach cloth (or something similar), there are chemicals. I suspect that the chemicals are similar to Pledge or furniture polish, as that's was recommended to polish lacquer.

Garry
cmatice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will these chemials wear away at the lacquer?
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubtful. It's likely silicone.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What usually wears away the finish, silver or lacquer, are the dirt particles that get embedded in the cloth during use. I prefer plain old microfiber cloths and try to keep them clean. I don't do a great job and have the fine scratches to show for it...
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since polishing is actually a process of taking out big scratches and replacing them with finer scratches, it always wears away a minute amount of finish. With lacquer, it makes more sense to merely wipe off the oils and perspiration. If the finish on the lacquer actually starts to get dull, a "polish" that is actually a wax finish or similar that fills in the scratches with an oil is the thing to use. This may be what's on your purpose-made polishing cloth. It wipes off the skin oils and perspiration and coats the lacquer surface, filling in any minute scratches.

If you're getting the idea that the less you do to the lacquer finish, the better, you have it about right. Present day lacquers are pretty durable and when the day comes to redo your horn, it probably won't cost over $200. Just exercise reasonable care and spend your mental energy elsewhere, on playing and learning . . . for a young guy, you sure worry a lot . . . leave that to us old guys, who have something important to worry about, like "will I wake up tomorrow?" and, "if I wake up, will I be able to get up and will I be able to hold up my trumpet?"

"Will I be able to remember which end to blow into?" Etc. You get the idea. Wish I was back in the day when I had to remember to be sure to keep the safety on . . . but I digress . . . at least I think so . . . LOL . . .
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you rub anything that is micro-thin it is going to wear it away. There is not any way at all to polish anything with out some form of wear be it chemical, oxidation or friction you will lose the finish sooner or latter.

First why would you ever polish an epoxy coating on a brass horn? Wash the horn dry it off and go find something else to be OCD about. Lacquer is not a live coating nothing you put on it will extend it's life. Keeping it clean and not rubbing it more then you have too is about the best you hope for. It goes with out saying that chips and scratch's through the finish will speed up how quickly it comes off if it is going too. Moisture can get in under it and lift it off the surface.

Prior to the industrial revolution their was not enough sulfur in the air to make silver tarnish. The ancient Egyptians named it white gold because it stayed shiny and did not tarnish with age just like gold does not tarnish. To give you an idea how thin the silver on a horn is. Charles at Kanstul said they put their silver on heavier then most companies and they use 1 once of silver to plate an entire horn's surface. Spread that one once out over that much surface area and you are up against impossible odd's if you actually intend to play the horn regularly the finish will wear!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: