• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet GR mpc on flugel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rch-tech
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to have been "sort of" eluded to in this forum already but does anyone see major issues with using a trumpet mpc in a flugelhorn?
It doesn't go all the way in of course, but it does "fit".
Any issues with doing something like this? I am not crazy about my flugel mpc. (Mind you its only a studen model blessing...)

ideas?
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, check your intonation against a tuner (or a keyboard). Using a tpt mpc should throw it pretty far out of whack... If you like your trumpet mouthpiece, get the same piece for flugel (i.e., if you have a GR65M trumpet piece, get a GR65FL). It's usually good to have matching pieces (rims at least) across all your horns.
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh the trumpet player's need to experiment. .... sounds like something I would try

Actually I have never tried that... seems that a trumpet mouthpiece would make your flugel very bright sounding.

On the other hand, I have been playing my trumpet with a flugel mouthpiece and it works quite well... one mouthpiece especially works great... I use the Claude Gordon CGP V cup for my trumpet... and also have the CGP flugel mpc ... the trumpet CGP is already somewhat darker and smoother playing than many other trumpet mpcs (for me anyway) and the flugel version just makes it even more so.

Unless you are wanting to specifically brighten the sound of your flugel, I would think a trumpet mouthpiece would not be what you would want to use.

As the poster above said, your best place to start might be having matching trumpet and flugel mpc.

I'm sure there will be some other good suggestions for you.

http://www.stickam.com/wb0wls
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that the characteristics of a trumpet mouthpiece would defeat the purpose of creating that "flugel" sound. It just doesn't make the sound a little brighter, but I feel it also eliminates some of the overtones created by the horn and thins out the sound. Tried it awhile back with several different sizes and that's what I thought. It was fun to experiment though. Just my opinion.

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a Bach 1 trumpet MP with a Selmer Flugel and it sounded just incredible. If I had the money I would have bought the Selmer right there. Anyway it turned many heads at the show. It was one of the best sounds I had heard from a flugel. I suppose that some of it would have to go to the mouthpiece for the sound too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: