• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke Handcraft trumpet?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Schilke Handcraft trumpet? Reply with quote

I've read some recent posts referring to a new Shilke Handcraft trumpet that is about to be unveiled.

I will be attending the upcoming NAMM show in Anaheim, where I hear the new horn will be on display, but would love to learn more about it now if possible.

I believe that Mr. Schilke was one of the famous "committee" that came up with the design for the Martin Committee trumpet. The "Handcraft Committee" was one model of that horn.

Most of the Martin Committees were medium-bore horns, but the most expensive and rare ones to find today were large-bores. Chris Botti plays one and even Maynard Fergusen and Bill Chase played the large-bore horns.

Does anyone know which, if either of these horns will the be the model for the new Schilke Handcraft? Will the horn come in different bore sizes with different options?

I know that Lawler makes a horn that is supposed to be a modern version of the Committee. Is the Schilke Handcraft going to be a better one?

I'm eager to try this new horn.
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Schilke Handcraft trumpet? Reply with quote

markp wrote:
I've read some recent posts referring to a new Shilke Handcraft trumpet that is about to be unveiled.

I will be attending the upcoming NAMM show in Anaheim, where I hear the new horn will be on display, but would love to learn more about it now if possible.

I believe that Mr. Schilke was one of the famous "committee" that came up with the design for the Martin Committee trumpet. The "Handcraft Committee" was one model of that horn.

Most of the Martin Committees were medium-bore horns, but the most expensive and rare ones to find today were large-bores. Chris Botti plays one and even Maynard Fergusen and Bill Chase played the large-bore horns.

Does anyone know which, if either of these horns will the be the model for the new Schilke Handcraft? Will the horn come in different bore sizes with different options?

I know that Lawler makes a horn that is supposed to be a modern version of the Committee. Is the Schilke Handcraft going to be a better one?

The Handcraft design is based on the #3 Committee so it's an XL step bore--the prototype I played in the pictures on the Schilke Facebook page was a .468 bore. I played a Lawler C7 for several years and got the opportunity to play several different C7s and while it is a great horn it isn't even remotely in the same league as the Schilke Handcraft. My good friend and teacher Tony Mujica, one of the finest trumpeters in Chicago, is switching off his amazing playing 40's Committee for the Schilke Handcraft--that's saying a lot because he's played that horn for decades. I've written this on several threads but again it was based on a handful of Miles Davis's own Martin Committees that were loaned to Schilke by Wallace Roney. There will be different options as far as finish and bell alloy, that was mentioned to me at the factory. Not sure if different bore sizes will be an option, I got the impression that the #3 Committee style bore will be it--not a problem because the horn blew so efficiently despite being a .468 bore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. While I've played many medium-bore Committees, I've never even been in the same room with the legendary #3.

Any idea of what the pricing will be?

Last edited by markp on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Schilke Handcraft trumpet? Reply with quote

intrepidpooch wrote:
markp wrote:

The Handcraft design is based on the #3 Committee so it's an XL step bore--the prototype I played in the pictures on the Schilke Facebook page was a .468 bore. I played a Lawler C7 for several years and got the opportunity to play several different C7s and while it is a great horn it isn't even remotely in the same league as the Schilke Handcraft. My good friend and teacher Tony Mujica, one of the finest trumpeters in Chicago, is switching off his amazing playing 40's Committee for the Schilke Handcraft--that's saying a lot because he's played that horn for decades. I've written this on several threads but again it was based on a handful of Miles Davis's own Martin Committees that were loaned to Schilke by Wallace Roney. There will be different options as far as finish and bell alloy, that was mentioned to me at the factory. Not sure if different bore sizes will be an option, I got the impression that the #3 Committee style bore will be it--not a problem because the horn blew so efficiently despite being a .468 bore.

ray
you are killing me....
chuck
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark (et al)...

There's probably something at the Adams booth that we'll be unveiling at NAMM as well you should check out.

This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
Mark (et al)...

There's probably something at the Adams booth that we'll be unveiling at NAMM as well you should check out.

Oh man don't tell me Wallace has been loaning out those Miles Davis Committees to Adams as well....

Great to have new trumpet models coming out.....been boring talking about the same old stuff in endless circles..... then again is the Schilke Handcraft full circle?

Walter
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true that the NAMM show will be the official roll-out of the Schilke Handcraft? Or is it already available for sale?

Or, will it not be available until a later date?

How much will it cost?
Brassgurus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peninsula Music and Repair and Park Ave Music Center will be one of, if not the first to receive these trumpets!

If you are interested in getting one of the first of these trumpets shoot me an email or give me a call at the store.

We are all ready taking orders!

Thanks.

Eric Hand
Peninsula Music and Repair
408-279-5100 x722
eric@brassgurus.com
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ray or others

is the handcraft the same weight as the Bs, or perhaps heavier?
..chuck
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it silver plate?

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, it was my impression that the Handcraft was of a similar weight as my S32HD, I'm pretty sure it's a bit heavier than the B series lightweight horns. Supportlivejazz, I believe that silver plate is an available option, the one I played (the one in the picture with the copper bell) was not plated, I believe it was lacquered but don't quote me on that! Markp, you're right that the official announcement of the Handcraft release will be at the NAMM show in a couple weeks but as Eric mentioned in his post, there are dealers who are already taking preorders apparently. As far as pricing, I'm pretty sure that the price will be in line with the rest of their Bbs since the HD series was only about $100 more than the B series. Trent, if what you guys are unveiling is half as awesome as your new Adams A1 trumpet, then that's pretty exciting news indeed!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are missing the boat by not having a betting pool on delivery time. it could perhaps be 5/6 months. it won't be a year because there's always a way of persuading the elves to produce after adjusting to the initial deluge.
they must have gotten tired of having people call every day asking which model plays most like a committee.
it won't quite be a 'you can't have one' and only a matter of small patience. the first few better go to people on the forum. waiting the 5/6 months for a review would be unfair and painful.
please don't tell me adams is pulling the exact same stunt.
..chuck
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by markp on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not a pool, but how about a contest. Schilke could give one away and really stir up interest here.

They undoubtedly have already named the new horn, so a naming contest is probably out. Ideas?

Folks at Schilke?

Winner? I'd like to B1.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intrepidpooch wrote:
Chuck, it was my impression that the Handcraft was of a similar weight as my S32HD, I'm pretty sure it's a bit heavier than the B series lightweight horns. Supportlivejazz, I believe that silver plate is an available option, the one I played (the one in the picture with the copper bell) was not plated, I believe it was lacquered but don't quote me on that! Markp, you're right that the official announcement of the Handcraft release will be at the NAMM show in a couple weeks but as Eric mentioned in his post, there are dealers who are already taking preorders apparently. As far as pricing, I'm pretty sure that the price will be in line with the rest of their Bbs since the HD series was only about $100 more than the B series. Trent, if what you guys are unveiling is half as awesome as your new Adams A1 trumpet, then that's pretty exciting news indeed!
Yikes... I'm slipping, but where's the picture??

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a snap in the Bach/Schilke thread.

The more I look at the bell, from midway, to just before the flair, to the flair proper . . . I just keep looking. It fascinates me, and does not look like my Bach AB190 bell, and it differs from my B1 too.

For the sake of Schilke and trumpet players all over, hope they knocked it out of the park.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardwy wrote:
There's a snap in the Bach/Schilke thread.

The more I look at the bell, from midway, to just before the flair, to the flair proper . . . I just keep looking. It fascinates me, and does not look like my Bach AB190 bell, and it differs from my B1 too.

For the sake of Schilke and trumpet players all over, hope they knocked it out of the park.
Ah Ha!!! Thanks.

scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to hear it side by side with the #3 just to hear if they hit the mark.
47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
leahcim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It already looks like Schilke hit the mark. Take a look at the bell flare and shape in the bach/schilke thread. That is very "Committee like."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: