• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

...for sentimental reasons

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONN 15B Director N52001

It was a great horn, but I was hard on it. Every useable part of it is now in various 22B's and 12B's all over the countryside. I have since replaced it with a really nice '66 and keep all my original mutes and mp in the case for posterity. It's like warping back to the day in this pic!
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first love was a Benge 3X that I bought right out of high school. I'd had a King Cleveland that my folks bought me for $90, and when I asked about this horn they said: "Buy it yourself." I sold everything I could find and put my savings toward it and managed to come up with the $325 for the Benge.

After a few years, I got ambitious and wanted to trade up to a CG Benge, which was the hot horn in the 70's. I sold the 3x and after a while, the kid I sold it to brought it into the shop for dentwork. He had dropped my old horn on a concrete riser and put a honking dent in the back crook, which I then took out for him. Boy, did that hurt to look at!

I've come full circle, after many horns, and I play a 3X I can only describe as being a trumpet rescue.
https://yourbrass.com/
dluquette1220

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: My NY Bach 6/6 Reply with quote

When I first got to Rutgers and was studying with William (prof) Fielder I was playing on a 72 stirling plus with a 43 leadpipe, rounded tuning slide and amado water keys. I never made one sound on that horn that Prof liked - no not once. One day I had taken him to Dillon to have some work done on one of his horns (He was always tinkering with this and that on his horns) and since I was there I went to the trumpet wall and picked up the ugliest horn on the wall and started playing. Prof poked his head around the door and said "You need to buy that horn, you've never sounded better". So I talked to Steve - he was in the shop a lot more then - he made me a really terrible deal so I took it and I had my first vintage horn - a 1928 NY bach 6/6 raw brass number 1146. I still have it - it's never leaving me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: