• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

how to find a mouthpiece?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackday
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: how to find a mouthpiece? Reply with quote

1st post! Hello! Maybe some details - I'm 53 and started playing a little less than a year ago, have played guitar 40 yrs and bass guitar 20 yrs. I'm just having fun, my favorite stuff is Ellington and Gershwin. I get lessons every week or two, but we mainly hang out and sight read music together until my lips turn to rubber.

King Silver Flair with a Monette 6 mouthpiece, which has been nice to learn on, but I just got an Allen Vizzuti Yamaha mouthpiece. Vizzuti likes: Very comfortable rim!, and the shallow cup makes the high ranges much easier to hit.

How do I go about getting a mouthpiece with the same/similar rim, but not so shallow, maybe in a range of depths?

Please tag on any other pointers or suggestions, thx!

Last edited by trackday on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of an open ended question. virtually all manufactures can give you the same size rim in multiple depths. personally i prefer curry mouthpieces. Especially his 600 series. and mark curry can make you virtually anything in between as well. his pieces are super comfortable and his consistency from piece to piece is unreal. I have some of his earlier pieces and some from very recently, they feel identical on my lips.
good luck in your quest. just a side note, i wouldn't get too hung up on the multiple piece thing if your only playing for a year. find a good middle of the road size and developer some embouchure strength and consistency before playing around too much with different pieces. just my two cents.
have fun !!
regards
tom
trackday
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, good advice. I think I am trying to find something a little more comfortable and easier to play than the 3C. The Vizzutti piece opened my eyes to what a difference the MP can make. For now, I have ordered a Bach 5C. I don't know how to find 'my' mp without trying a few, but yes, I want to find one I can stick with.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't offhand recall what the rim size on the AV mouthpiece is, I can tell you this: due to the rim size and contour, a 5C is slightly deeper than a 3C. It's a comfortable mouthpiece though, and you should like the rim feel compared to the 3C.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: how to find a mouthpiece? Reply with quote

trackday wrote:
1st post! Hello! Maybe some details - I'm 53 and started playing a little less than a year ago, have played guitar 40 yrs and bass guitar 20 yrs. I'm just having fun, my favorite stuff is Ellington and Gershwin. I get lessons every week or two, but we mainly hang out and sight read music together until my lips turn to rubber.

King Silver Flair with a Monette 6 mouthpiece, which has been nice to learn on, but I just got an Allen Vizzuti Yamaha mouthpiece. Vizzuti likes: Very comfortable rim!, and the shallow cup makes the high ranges much easier to hit.

How do I go about getting a mouthpiece with the same/similar rim, but not so shallow, maybe in a range of depths?

Please tag on any other pointers or suggestions, thx!

I think Peter Pickett makes Alan's pieces now. I'd contact him and he'll get you just what you'll need!
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a chart I've used that gives you some idea how your current pieces compare. Note that it offers three different sets of numbers for Bach: "Traditional", "New", and "as measured", since the ones Bach publishes have changed and are so out of line with how others do the measuring.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jf_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option is to get another one and have someone alter the cup to give you what your want in terms of tone, another is to have the rim cut off to screw onto another piece in a similar fashion to Reeves mouthpieces. That way you can have the same rim on a variety of mouthpieces for different situations. A further option is to have it scanned by Kanstul and then ask them to use the rim, but then select a different cup to suit you. I'm guessing but 5C or 3C cup may not be too far away from fitting that rim.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monette MPs tend to have large throat, and a large throat can be very taxing. What you like better about the Vizzutti MP maybe be the tighter blow due to a smaller throat. Regardless, a Bach 5C is a good all around piece to develop on.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
trackday
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, great replies, thanks!

cheiden, I didn't see the chart attached to your post...

I've got 4 mouthpieces and one of them was stuck in a piece of wall art, how my teacher plays it I have no idea. It was a Bach 7C, and it seems to be much closer to what I am looking for. I think the smaller cup diameter was what I was looking for. The 5C should be fine. A 7D might be perfect, lol. My other MP is a Blessing 3C, good tone but higher notes are a strain.

Thanks for your help. Yes, if you had to listen to me practise on tired lips, you would consider suicide a reasonable alternative. But I'm hooked. What an amazing instrument.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trackday wrote:
cheiden, I didn't see the chart attached to your post...

My bad.

http://www.allbrassradio.com/tmptmpccharts.htm
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: