• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jupiter JP-916 VRS Pocket Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Jupiter JP-916 VRS Pocket Trumpet Reply with quote

Anyone seen or played one of these yet? -- bigger bell and different wrap to the well known Jupiter 416L
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it plays up to its price, it should be well worth checking out! The only one I found with a quick search costs 774 euros!

Pat
MDM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

This answer comes 3 years late, but for the benefit of anybody else who may be looking for info on the Jupiter JPT-916, I bought one today, and it's great!

It's not the same as the 416 / 516 (I wasn't sure, as I couldn't find a review anywhere before I bought it), and is part of the Jupiter Tribune range - which apparently is a step up in quality over the 416. There is no third valve trigger, but it doesn't really need one as it plays pretty much in tune without - it's easily close enough to lip in where necessary, without any noticeable change in tone quality. In the lower and middle registers, it feels positive, is naturally in tune, and is smooth and easy to play. It does have a noticeably mellower tone than my Bach Strad, and as would be expected from a pocket, it lacks the projection and tonal brilliance of the Strad. In some ways, it plays (and to an extent sounds) more like a cornet. The Strad is a noticeably better instrument - particularly with regard to responsiveness and attacks, but as a practice and travel instrument, the Jupiter JPT-916 is a winner.

I bought this pocket trumpet to take away with me on a 5 week trip over Christmas, and after my first day of acquaintance with it, I'm very pleased indeed. I got it brand new for just over £200 from Thomann, and at that price it's a no brainer.

Last edited by MDM on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
MDM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Here's a quick update, now that the new toy rose tinting has worn off my spectacles:

I've been doing about an hour of my daily playing on the Jupiter for 3-4 months now, and can say that contrary to my initial impressions, it really could do with a third valve trigger (it does have a slightly difficult to access first valve trigger which does the job, but personally I prefer the third valve option). Also, the oil that came with it makes the valves feel like they have been coated with treacle - Blue Juice makes a world of difference - although the action still feels slower and noticeably cheaper than on a more expensive instrument.

I spend about an hour a day on the Jupiter, and an hour or so on my Strad (the pocket stays in my desk at work and gets used at lunch-time for flexibilities and Clarke's - lucky work colleagues!) and it has to be said that although the Strad is noticeably better in every way, I stick by my initial thoughts that for a cheap buy, the Jupiter is a great practice and travel instrument.

Jupiter's website says that the Tribune series is aimed at professionals, but in reality you get what you pay for. Having said that, at the price you won't be disappointed as long as you see it for what it is - a conveniently portable practice instrument.

Last edited by MDM on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post! Thanks for taking the time for an update. A real user, as you are, can be a godsend when looking for info on a horn.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
MDM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's no problem - I'm glad that I can be of help. I'm really pleased with my Jupiter - it's been a godsend for getting in the little bits throughout the day when I would not take my Strad to work!

If you are looking for a mid priced pocket, I may be able to give you a couple of suggestions as I did quite a lot of research myself. It's tricky where I live, as buying a pocket had to be done blind over the internet with no tryout.

I eventually narrowed my choice down to three horns: the Jupiter, a Carol Brass pocket and a Schagerl Pocket (http://www.schagerl.com/en/). I quite fancied the Schagerl, but decided to go for the slightly cheaper Carol Brass. In the end I chose the Jupiter purely because I couldn't get either of the others in time for my trip.

In retrospect I think that it was the right choice for me, as the whole point of the pocket was for something I could sling in a rucksack with all my other stuff (in a pocket gig bag, which I bought separately!), and not have to spend my time worrying about in case of damage. Thomann were knocking out Jupiters for £200 at the time, which was a bargain. How it matches up to the other two, I have no idea, but I think that they would be worth investigating.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: