• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso and mouthpieces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vialvest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Caruso and mouthpieces Reply with quote

Hi. I was wondering if Carmine Caruso had an opinion on mouthpieces (small, large etc)?

Almost everyone use different mouthpieces for different situations. Did Carmine ever talk about this?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not within my earshot.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I heard Carmine talk about mpcs, he always wanted a player to use the mpc that they were most familiar with. And without switching around for at least two years (of practicing his routines). After that, I guess he thought it was OK to switch around all you wanted.

If a player was at a total loss as to what mpc to use, he had a Bach 11C to try. I guess he thought that was middle of the road. I heard him say that a Bach 7C was big in his opinion and that 11 (Bach standard) was medium size. I have one and don't care for it.

He didn't seem to care for a lot of bite or a piece that was EXTREMELY shallow. He said he wanted the lips to have room to work in the cup. But these were not topics that were discussed very often.

I never heard him criticize any mpc that a student was using or try to discourage the student from using it.

One student was having trouble with a nerve in his lip and Carmine had a half dozen mpcs out, trying each one to see if there was a difference in how the nerve would react.

Last edited by TrpPro on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several times, I heard Carmine comment on all of the students who asked questions similar to yours, 'what's the best mouthpiece for me?' Carmine's standard response was, Let's learn to play then worry about mouthpieces.'

The only other comments I heard Carmine make were about switching mouthpieces. He said switching took ten days to two weeks. Your first experience with a new mouthpiece would give a good indication because you'd play it with a fairly balanced (for your current mouthpiece) embouchure. After a few days, the balance transition would begin and mouthpiece response would be poorer after four to seven days. After ten to fourteen days your embouchure would begin to achieve a balance for your new embouchure.

That has always pretty much been my experience.

Alan
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW this is a quote:

"The horn and the mouthpiece is only up to what the player feels he wants to use. When I’m trouble shooting, if I got a player who's had bad trouble, can't play, first thing I ask him is what mouthpiece did he play the longest. Whichever it is, I usually want him to go back to that one, because the body will adjust quickly to it. Changing of mouthpieces should be, again, left to the player. The better the player the easier it is for him to find out what mouthpiece he wants."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: