• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help with Identification Please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Help with Identification Please Reply with quote

So, I recently bought a frankenhorn which was sold as a Besson C body with Bach bell...the way the bell was soldered on was quite amusing - a massive ball of solder holding the thing on, in fact the whole thing was a bit of a mess.

I've done the initial work on (still lots to do) on a tuning bell job on it, but was interested in finding out exactly what the body is. There are no markers marks nor serial no. on the valve block

Could well be an old Besson, I've heard some have octagonal valve caps. It's well made and even in the state it's in plays nicely with a bell on.

The pinky ring seems quite distinctive too

Valves are very tight getting in, but once in place there is very little side to side play and the alignment is spot on.

All in all a nice little restoration project and I should end up with a nice trumpet at the end of it. The original bell was a Bach 43, but if I find a cheap one I might put a 229 on it. Then again it plays fine with a Bb bell on it.

Appreciate any thoughts or comments.

BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pinky ring reminds me of a LeBlanc (Courtois). Strange that there are no markings on the valve block. It'll be interesting to see if this is ever identified conclusively.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More probably the infamous Bessons & Co from India (hexagonal caps):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/bessons-and-co-brass-instruments-more/10000000001914378/g.html

also:

http://www.vintagetrumpets.com/bessons.shtml
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those valve caps reminded me of a student cornet I saw recently called a 'Clippertone' and sold by B&H. I found some photos of one here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boosey-Hawkes-Clippertone-Cornet-Fully-Serviced-/310306358115

There seems to be quite a strong family resemblance to your horn. Just to confuse things, there was a pre-war trumpet called the Hawkes Clippertone but the cornet in the Ebay photos bears no relation to it. I'd guess it's from the 60's or 70's.

Good luck with the project

Mike
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boosey and Hawkes is a real possibility because they used the forward second slide and they used for some time hexagonal caps. It should be some kind of B&H Regent trumpet but I am not sure it was made in C.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finger hook looks like Cousenon, but I agree that the body looks like English manufacture.
https://yourbrass.com/
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a B&H Oxford trumpet with the same valves and finger hook, less than stellar compared to the Edgeware factory produced Besson trumpets and cornets. I had an Oxford cornet with the microbar valves that was great with round valve caps obviously a Besson stamped B&H, sometimes these labels get a bit vague.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

I'm sure it's not a crappy Indian "Bessons" - it's obviously older than that little scam has been running and frankly the build quality is pretty good, and despite the condition it was in, it plays well, which I'll take over a badge any day. Though my curiosity did get the better of me.

PLP - thanks. The Oxford would make sense, the guy who sold it thought it was a Besson, so there could be some provenance there, even if a little off track. And I think if you recognise the valves and that pinky hook, then I think that's better than a guess.

I post some pics when I've finished the work on it.

Thanks everyone.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: