• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Single hard case for XA1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Your horn looks very comfortable in the old-style Yamaha case.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Yes, but who makes Gladstone cases?

http://www.kanstul.com/cases.php?category_search=Cornet

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
cinci-sop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:

Your welcome.
Yes it fits pretty good, I don't use it for my Schilke, I built a double case to fit my Bb and Eb cornet and I also have a double Yamaha trumpet case that works pretty well for the two.
Schilke B5 Trumpet - Stork 3B
paquebo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: any luck? Reply with quote

Have you found a suitable case yet? I am exactly in the same boat, a Schilke cornet XA1, no case. I also live down under and have no chance to try a case.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinci-sop wrote:
etc-etc wrote:

Your welcome.
Yes it fits pretty good, I don't use it for my Schilke, I built a double case to fit my Bb and Eb cornet and I also have a double Yamaha trumpet case that works pretty well for the two.

That's good to know. I have several cornets, some of them fit the Yamaha double trumpet case (like a Bach long model) and some don't with "taller" wraps.
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I had Walt Johnson make me a cornet case a few years back, it's rectangular and outside dimensions are 19x9x7. It was made to a tracing of my horn so it's a perfect fit, and super heavy-duty.

I've also modified a Marcus Bonna trumpet single case to take a short cornet with room for a few mutes, this works well but isn't as protective as the Walt Johnson.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy foam-lined cases from Pelican and others and customize them for your horn. This site has a huge selection:
http://www.casesbysource.com/

I did one for my Puje:

paquebo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one of these Jakob Winter deluxe short cornet case in the post today. I have been looking for a case for my Schilke XA1 too and it is not an easy task. A difficult quest for anyone as cornets come in every shapes and dimensions, but even more difficult for me who lives far away from any shop. The only supply in Australia seems to be of the gig bag type.

I finally bought the case shown in the first post of this thread. At the time (las week) the shop had a special and I paid < $150 for it, plus postage ($8.00 to Australia!): a bargain if it works.

The case is not exactly as shown on the photo on the WWBW website (or on the Jakob Winter website: http://www.jakobwinter.de/en/), although I am still satisfy that it's the deluxe version.

It fits the XA1 quite well and there is room for some printed music in the lid, two or three mutes (I got a bucket mute, a cup mute and a straight mute there now), two holes for MPC's. The tray where the cornet fits has some room underneath and I guess that is where I will be able to loose my MPC brush, the cloth pegs and some oil. More importantly, the cornet does not move at all once the lid is closed, although I might do a bit of remodelling one of these days to satisfy my quest for perfectionism.

The box itself is very sturdy (dovetail joints), metal feet on three sides (opposite the locks, and on the two small sides). The black bands along the perimeter of the two sides are actually covering some firm foam (shock absorber) and keeping the case off the floor by a bit less than a centimetre when the box is opened. There are also some metal plates protecting the 8 open corners of the lid and case.

Overall I am pretty satisfied with my purchase. I have seen on line quite a few cases around the $300 mark. I think that Schilke should provide either a case or provide a case maker with the dimensions of their cornet. I emailed them and they suggested their double trumpet case. Some cases in the UK are around the $600 mark! I just wanted something to protect my instrument, but also to carry a couple of mutes and some printed music.
Selmer 80J Chorus Trumpet
Schilke B1 Trumpet
-------------------

Last edited by paquebo on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that your Jacob Winter case is different, or that we got differently wrapped cornets, but as far as I can tell, XA1 does not fit the case. The position of the valve casing cutout in the case makes the bottom of the third valve casing hit the padding. Shepherd's crook and third valve slide do not fit comfortably, either. The cornet ends up balancing/rocking on four support points, and it seems that the bell is too long (or the case is too short) to fit properly.

That said, the case does fit perfectly the Yamaha Xeno cornet, as if it was custom made for that wrap.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is the XA1 from tip of bell to back of the bell bow?

The reason I ask is that I bought a cornet case for a Sovereign which didn't fit, but as the central part was polystyrene covered with cloth I was able to form a new shape in it using a ball peen hammer. This involved making the bell bow section longer and moving the valve cut out section. It took ten minutes to do and you can't tell it has been modified.

Here is the case:
http://www.gigbagsgalore.co.uk/page/va_103bk

I have had mine for three years and its been fine. It is a wood shell case and quite heavy.

I think the XA1 might be too long for this kind of case though.
Let me know the length and I will if this case would be long enough.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have the John Packer cornet case:

http://www.johnpacker.co.uk/Catalogue/Accessories/Brass-Accessories/Cases-and-Gig-Bags/Cornet-Cases/JP801-Large-Cornet-Case-206899#.UZnZKrW-l35

http://www.johnpacker.co.uk/catalogue/image.aspx?img_id=bb8c9495-9b41-44a8-bc81-9c110110a4b9

It initially didn't fit my Bach Strad very well, but rather than polystyrene covered in cloth like my Aquae Sulis one (please see below), the interior of this is soft and squidgy, if you understand what I mean.

http://www.daveballard.co.uk/shop-item-1432_Aquae-Sulis-Besson-Style-Cornet-Case.php

Even though the valve block of my Bach Strad cornet is further to the left than the cut out in the case, I managed to squash the interior just enough with my hands to fit the cornet in.

I however experienced a new problem with my Sovereign, which I wanted to post, as another thing to consider. The Sovereign is a wide cornet, with a wide brace from the leadpipe to the cornet. Laying down on its side in a case, it is therefore taller than my Bach and Imperial cornets, and the lid of the John Packer case won't fit. Because it is squidgy, I could get it zipped up, but I am worried about putting pressure on the bell. I am therefore using the case my Sovereign came with.

Obviously the point of this thread, is that the XA1 doesn't have a supplied case, but I just wanted to point out that as well as fitting in the cornet slot, which the Sovereign does very well in the John Packer case, the height of the case laying down (maybe this is depth) is also something to consider.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: