• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Early (50"s) Broadway

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Early (50"s) Broadway Reply with quote

I am trying to ascertain, who were the players in the pit in the fifties for the original run of the Music Man and the King and I...(Majestic and St James theaters). I was there, and would like to know who sent me on this journey.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's gonna be a tough one. This web site:

www.ibdb.com/index.php

Doesn't start listing musicians until the early 70s. There aren't many active players today who were playing in the pits at that time.

Wilmer Wise, a regular TH contributor, might know. Maybe he'll chime in.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: early 50s Reply with quote

Dont know exactly,but some of the players doing bway at that time might have been,Dick Perry,Jimmy Sedler,maybe Chuck Cameron,maybe Bernie Privin,Joe Ferrante..These are the older pit players of that vintage I can think of off the top of my head..Any of these folks who are still around would know much better then me..oh also maybe Jerry Kail,Chuck Genduso,but they are more like the 60s..The older players i`v played with say Bway was not as cherished a gig at that time because there was so much free lance happening,and of course who really wants to play the same thing 8 times a week
Bob R

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the late 50s thru the late 60s my father played a bunch of Broadway shows. He substituted while the drummer for Music Man took his vacation. The lead trumpet player for the Music Man was Irving Berger. He did many Broadway shows including the original version of Pippin. Unfortunately even I am not old enough to know who played the King And I. Following up on American Boy's recollections other trumpet players who were very active in the 50s and early 60s were Ernie De Falco who played lead on many musicals in the 50s and 60s, Gino Bozzacco, the original lead player on West Side Story and later on Fiddler on the Roof and Harold Wegbreit
Back in the late 50s if you were playing one of the big night clubs in NY (Latin Quarter, Copa) the next step was to break into Broadway shows. Chuck Cameron and Gino Bozzacco were both in the Latin Quarter Trumpet section at the same time and went on to be very successful on Broadway.
In the early 70s when Carson moved to Hollywood and Dick Cavit went off the air all the guys who were staff musicians for NBC and ABC were out of work. That coupled with the decrease in free lance work caused some of them to go into Broadway shows. Victor Paz and Jimmy Morreale of the Caviit band went to Broadway with Paz eventually winding up doing Cats and Morreale doing a Chorus Line. Dick Perry went back to Broadway and did 42nd Street (as did Bernie Glow) and Jimmy Maxwell did the show Sugar Babies. Johnny Frosk also eventually starting doing Broadway shows. My father went to see 42nd Street and went down to the pit to say hello to Dick Perry and Dick commented that unfortunately I'm back to doing this again.
I hope you found this interesting.
terrys17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Gino on the Harry James band a couple times in the late 70's.
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Thank you all. Reply with quote

Thank you all for the time and effort in crafting your replies. I will do more research but I'm confident that in the replies are the players whose sound is still in my head. Thank you, again.

Alan
katherine342

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever have any luck with this? Sounds interesting.
Last time I was in NYC, I got Broadway tickets for Lion King that were about $120 I think? Worth every penny. Amazing instrumentals that reminded me of the good ol days of music.

Last edited by katherine342 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Early (50"s) Broadway Reply with quote

ALaschiver wrote:
I am trying to ascertain, who were the players in the pit in the fifties for the original run of the Music Man and the King and I...(Majestic and St James theaters). I was there, and would like to know who sent me on this journey.

Should they run and hide?
errata

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: "Music Man" pit: James Burke Reply with quote

The 2004 Jimmy Burke article in the ITG journal credits him with "The Music Man" as well as some other shows, and I'd think that was a reliable source. (The Jimmy Burke tribute website echoes this, I think.) If you Google the Local 802 obituaries, you can sometimes turn this kind of thing up. FWIW: in my contacts with the Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization, they explained that they *don't* have contracts for those long-ago shows (like "The King and I"), listing the pit players. Hope this helps a little bit.
errata

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go (Local 802 obit from 2010): Sam Koza:

http://www.local802afm.org/2010/09/requiem-111/

Says he did your "King and I" and "Music Man" as well as South Pacific (1949) and My Fair Lady.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

errata wrote:
Here you go (Local 802 obit from 2010): Sam Koza:

http://www.local802afm.org/2010/09/requiem-111/

Says he did your "King and I" and "Music Man" as well as South Pacific (1949) and My Fair Lady.

It would make sense that Kosa and Burke played these shows together as they both played in the Goldman Band together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: