• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roger Ingram Model Jupiter XO Trumpet 1600I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefferysch68

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Roger Ingram Model Jupiter XO Trumpet 1600I Reply with quote

Jon Arnold wrote:
I got to try out the new Roger Ingram Model Jupiter XO trumpet yesterday and man it is a real player's horn. Full sound, bright, easy to play and I got some fat sounding high G's out of the horn. I was really impressed with the horn. I was skeptical about Jupiter to begin with, but they are making some nice horns these days. Has anyone else had the opportunity to try one out? Thoughts?

I bought one. I found the bore too tight. I kept trying(often too hard) to get the sound of my old Bach. I sold it for almost what I paid for it. The new owner loves it.
Jefferysch68

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: 1600 Ingram Reply with quote

I bought one. It was too tight for me. I kept trying(often too hard) too get the sound of my old bach. Sold it for close to what I paid for it. The new owner loves it.
trumpet1256

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Jupiter 1600I XO Roger Ingram Reply with quote

To those of you who are chasing a mouthpiece set up with this horn. I too have experimented with several mouthpieces. What I have found is that this horn works best with a more open backbore mouthpiece. I finally made the decision to order the Roger Ingram Lead mouthpiece. Wow! All the balance issues were gone and the sound I get on this piece is huge! The piece has excellent slotting no matter where you are playing in scale. I'm currently acclimating to the set up and I just can't put the horn down! The Ingram Lead is medium to open in the backbore. Next for me is the V cup and Studio models. Thanks to Roger for putting these mouthpieces for sale! Their great!

Jon Allen

Jupiter 1600I XO
Ingram Lead
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Ingram Reply with quote

Jefferysch68 wrote:
I bought one. It was too tight for me. I kept trying(often too hard) too get the sound of my old bach. Sold it for close to what I paid for it. The new owner loves it.

I played on a Yamaha Shew prior to the Jupiter 1600i. I have never felt the horn plays tight. I think the rounded slide feels more open, but I prefer the resistance of the D slide.

I also like to use one heavy cap on the third valve. The cap seems to give the horn some more core, at least to my ears.

I have been playing big band and jazz combo since the switch and couldn't be happier.

Sorry to hear the horn didn't work for you. The good thing is there are a lot of good horns out there and it is fun to try horns to find what works for you.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a great deal on a demo model from Trent Austin. It came this afternoon and I am now in my car waiting 4 the meter to change to go into my jazz steakhouse gig here on Wall St and give it a real test. So I did notice that swapping to the metal (which was my original plan anyway - psychologically I was thinking plastic vs. Metal) valve guides gave more core to the sound. The rounded tuning slide with the heavy 3rd valve cap combined with the metal valve guides (also switched to heavier springs - not sure if this is significant regarding tone) gives the best jazz sound for me while also I would have nio problem doing screaming lead stuff on it.

I can see why Roger had a horn like this made and why he feels it's the best combo of all the others he's owned. I got it in lacquer. Like the Carol trumpets which I think are superb, this has stainless steel valves which, IMO, seem to cause less problems. The horn feels great in my hands and valves got quick after oiling a couple of times and letting it warm up. So it feels and plays extremely efficiently for me in the short time I've had it. The gigs will be the real test. I didn't put the nodal inserts in as this is a demo model and I didn't get instructions on how to do that. Or maybe they're in the case somewhere. But the horn already plays great so I will just go with this setup for awhile and test it on my gigs. Best. Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Harmon mute for this bell? Reply with quote

I'm wondering what luck people have had fitting a harmon mute (any brand) to this bell. The 1600i has a very "narrow" bell flare compared to many other horns I have to compare it with.

I've tried an old Harmon branded one, an Alessi and a Joral bubble. Of the three, the Joral is the only one that comes close to staying in the bell, and even that is pretty iffy.

I'm wondering what others might be doing about this, or what tricks there might be to modify a harmon mute (non-permanent, preferably) to fit this tighter bell flare.
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sand the cork down?

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
Sand the cork down?

I don't want to permanently modify a mute if I can avoid it.

They all fit very well in a more conventional bell flare.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
Sand the cork down?

My Joral and Harmon both have very little cork on them from the factory. It would be hard to sand them enough to make much of a difference.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Best Brass harmon and copper jo ral fit fine in mine.

Anyway, I've had the horn over 2 weeks and have played it in many playing situations. It is quite an awesome horn. I'd put it before any of the more expensive horns I've owned in the last couple of years and match it to my old Carol 500T, which is now the 5000L.. The Carol feels more solid..steel-like in my hands..while the Jupiter feels a little lighter and more 'molded' right into my person. The sound is extremely versatile and I would agree that it is like a very good 8310Z except with more core and versatility to the sound. I think Roger absolutely hit it out of the ballpark with this design.

That being said, I'm probably going to sell it in the marketplace soon! Believe me, I'm surprised as well as I thought I would keep it as my main horn.. but I wound up trading my Blessing 1580G for an old Connie 38B..and I just love, love, love this horn.. even more than the Ingram and the Carol I used to have. I might pick up a 5000L Carol in the future used just to have it because the price is so good and the horn is so stellar. I'm not gonna keep the Ingram because it is a demo model from Trent Austin and is brand new and feel it would be silly to have a brand new horn just sitting in the case under my bed while I'm out with Connie.

Anyway, my review of the Ingram is definitely 5 stars and I wouldn't hesistate to use it in any and all playing situations. I think Roger really did take all the elements of the horns he's played in the past and combined them into this beauty! All the very best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
becktom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the Jupiter, try the Calicchio S1s/DT3 Dave trigg model. Another medium bore option that is truly tested...The Horn Malcome McNab is endorsing is another medium....I used both the Z horns on road gigs and 7 nights a week and have now settled on a Calicchio.....
The 6310 was great on lead but got too crispy on ballads and legit. The 8310 played big like the Schile B4 (med. bore) and took more work. The Calichio is truly efficient and gets a really good recording or play to a mike sound....I use mine for everthing swiching MP's....even using a Warburton 3D to match my Bach friends....buys an extra out chorus at the end of the night.
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random question.

Does anyone know for certain if the brass / nickel valve casings and outer tubing are still underneath the silver-plated horns? I am considering some day (in years) when the silver looks ugly taking it off and going Raw Brass, but only if it still has the nickel accents.

Anyone has any solid information on this?

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PW-Factor wrote:
Random question.

Does anyone know for certain if the brass / nickel valve casings and outer tubing are still underneath the silver-plated horns? I am considering some day (in years) when the silver looks ugly taking it off and going Raw Brass, but only if it still has the nickel accents.

Anyone has any solid information on this?
Can't tell you what's under the silver plate, but getting it off is no mean feat, pretty expensive, and hard on the horn.
Thattumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this horn is selling for around $2000 these days. What's up with that? Also, is it still a great horn for the price, while considering you can get a lawler c7 and a Stomvi s3 for around that price?
Pickett 7E
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't buy mine for the price - I had intended on buying a Schilke and has the $$, but chose this horn over the Schilke and a couple of Yamahas.

Would do it again tomorrow - I love mine.

To the above comments about mutes - never had an issue with mine, but all of my mutes had been used in my B5 Schilke for years so perhaps the flares are similar??

For me this horn is the epitome of not worrying about what the specs/name brand or anything else says. I just play it and it does what I ask - whatever the situation. There is some magic to a well designed/balanced horn that does not translate into bore sizes and specs.

Can't tell you how many "legit" players I have had play it and love it and then realize what it is and then comment they could never use it because it's a "commercial" horn

It's amazing how we listen with our eyes..........
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree! I decided recently to give the Nodal Stabilizers another shot. Playing a Curry 5C, it had a great full sound. With the 5M, and a bit of adjustment and practice, I was playing F and F# the way I normally play E. Maybe it was just a lucky chops day, but I am certainly intrigued. I even ended up selling my Yamaha C because of this horn. This horn works perfectly in the pit, where I do most of my paid playing. But even in the community symphony I participate in, I play 3rd, and this horn just has a certain roundness to its sound. It's round, but bright.

It really can do everything well, especially if you just try to play, and let the horn help. It can take a little adjustment, but it really is a fantastic horn, and one I'm intending to keep for a long time.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one about two weeks ago. I really like this horn! Im working on my own playing issues at the moment, trying to reduce tension and fix a tendency to go sharp in the upper register, so I won't comment on tuning of this horn other than to say it is easy enough to lip notes down or up, and everything in the staff is great in tune. Like I say, recently some tension has crept into my playing and it is nothing to do with this horn, just me!

So the usual build quality things are superb, including the nice case!

Valves are wonderful.

Note to note slots are very liquid, like a Committee in my opinion. Anyone else care to comment on this?

It is truely adaptible. Easy to play combo or lead on. It really blends so well. A nice warm sound with a bigger piece and great projection and tone with a lead piece.

Coming from an ultra light horn I'm still getting used to the player feedback, as the Ingram is a good medium weight horn.

The thing thay struck me most about the horn is the evenness of resistance bottom to top. It is perfectly even in my experience. I really like this feature.

I'm kicking myself for not trying one when they first came out, but i had preconceptions and honestly nowhere handy to try one. There's nothing to thnk about here... Try one and see.

I have yet to record it, so I cannot comment here,

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like the horn

Mine slots well - like a Schilke, but not as firm as a 37 Bach - if that makes sense. Not slippery at all.

Glad you like the case - I HATE it - no room for mutes and it's soft sided. It's kind of like a really crappy oversized gig bag. I have an old Benge case I use when I need one and a VERY old Reunion Blues single bag that mine lives in unless I have to pack it for a gig w/mutes. I also HATE the engraving on the bell. I guess too many years of looking at a blank Schike bell. I also hate the thumb saddle - it's too far to the left. I may have mine moved and even put a ring on it.

And yes, the valves are the only vavles I may like better than Schilke. The fit and finish of the slides are also wonderful. When I got it new I took it to my local tech to check the alignment and look for solder blobs and he returned it the next day with no charge. Said the alignment was great and the inside was as clean as any horn he has ever checked.

Mine has spot on intonation, except with the rounded tuning slide - which I don't like the blow of anyway. The weighted caps also do funky things to the horn. I don't care for how it plays with them - even doing legit work. I have no problem with "tweaking" horns, but mine plays the best just like it was designed.

And no, I would not say it is ever a "dark" horn, but has a really even sound from top to bottom and blends well. A very beautiful sound, but not what I would call dark.

Folks are always blown away by how open and free blowing it is. Much more open than many .460 horns.

I don't understand how it works and I don't care. I just play it and enjoy it.

I hope you enjoy yours.

An aside - for an interesting experience (if you are a Curry person) pair it with one of his TC cup pieces. Really interesting....... Gives a really acceptable legit/orchestral sound with a surprizing core and depth to the sound. And will take all of the air/agressiveness you can give it and keep that sound. Uniue piece - even with the hybrid cup I don't lose range. Another thing I do not understand, but play and enjoy and don't worry about.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crose wrote:
An aside - for an interesting experience (if you are a Curry person) pair it with one of his TC cup pieces. Really interesting....... Gives a really acceptable legit/orchestral sound with a surprizing core and depth to the sound. And will take all of the air/agressiveness you can give it and keep that sound. Uniue piece - even with the hybrid cup I don't lose range. Another thing I do not understand, but play and enjoy and don't worry about.
I have had great results with a Curry TC on mine as well, and Mark Curry found the same. Excellent pairing with great core and it doesn't wear you out.
csubtrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His horn was fantastically consistent. The price point on the Jupiter's are great and that's probably what they have going for them the most.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 15 of 21

Jump to: