• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Morrison: part of Huge Performance Mistake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_londonhusker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the opening ceremonies of the Davis Cup in Australia today, Jim Morrison played what he thought was the Spanish National Anthem. He was evidently supplied with the incorrect CD recording of a pre-revolution Republican anthem, sparking a huge diplomatic controversy, much fiery Spanish temper, and demands for formal apologies from the Australian government and sports governing bodies.

Although he was provided the incorrect music, shouldn't a player of his talent and experience do a better job of preparation? It isn't like the Spanish National Anthem has not ever been performed during the past several decades.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/SPORT/11/28/davis.anthem/index.html

Waddya think?

Dave
londonhusker
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a break - he played what was furnished him. Can you hum the national anthem of any country? He did his job - someone else's stones need to be put in a vise over this one.

J
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the CD only had the pre civil war anthem I don't think Mr Morrison should be held accountable to any extent. If the CD contained both anthems, if it were me I would have asked for clarification.

In any event, whoever provided the CD to JM should be held accountable. JM was hired to play a piece of music provided to him on a CD. Evidently that's what he did. I bet it sounded great!

Also, I'll bet there is a lot "tracks covering" going on at this time regarding how the CD with instructions finally ended up in the hands of JM. Odds on that the janitor will end up taking the rap for this one.
_londonhusker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Jim will be held accountable, nor should he be, as this was precipitated by an organizer not doing their homework. I'll bet that after all the hoopla he wished there was something he could have done to prevent it, as he was probably the only musician in the loop, and would naturally wish to avoid problems like this in future.

Dave
londonhusker
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see why it would cause an international incident except that it involved a bunch of hot headed soccer freaks. I mean if some country mistakenly played American The Beautiful instead of The Star Spangled Banner I wouldn't make a big fuss over it. Their both good tunes.
Larry
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!!!!

Larry, it was tennis, NOT soccer. IF it was soccer, those holligan fans would have started throwing "urine bombs," batteries and "God knows what else" at Mr. Morrison.

Although it was not his fault, I bet the next time Mr. Morrison has a gig like that, he'll make sure he's got the right tune.

romey

[ This Message was edited by: romey1 on 2003-11-28 12:09 ]
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said larry
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean if some country mistakenly played American The Beautiful instead of The Star Spangled Banner I wouldn't make a big fuss over it. Their both good tunes.

But wasn't the anthem that was played the pre civil war Spanish anthem. Is that anthem generally held in contempt by present day Spaniards? Can any Spanish TH members comment on that?
thelurker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think BB is right, what happened would almost be as bad as hearing Dixie at a MLK jr. day gathering.
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the accidental anthem was of the Franco period, that would be quite offensive to most Spaniards nowadays.

[ This Message was edited by: valvepimp on 2003-11-28 15:55 ]
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Most AMERICANS don't realize the signifigance of Dixie. A lot of Americans think Dixie is a cute tune to whistle

A little FYI on Dixie: most people don't know that it was written by an Ohio native, who was loyal to the Union, for a minstrel show in New York. Dixie happend to be a favorite of Abraham Lincoln and was played at his innauguration. It was only later, when brought to a minstrel who in New Orleans that the song took off. Personally, I wish we could still get away with playing it, but thanks to political correctness, every bit of a Southerner's heritage is slowly being taken away.

[ This Message was edited by: mafields627 on 2003-11-28 22:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mafields627 on 2003-11-28 22:32 ]
da_roadrunner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the whole "america the beautiful"...
it'd actually be like somebody playing god save the queen (or king w/e they have at the time) before one of our football/baseball/etc.. games.
But then again maybe not... because god save the queen sounds a lot like my country tis of thee (the same melody maybe???)... which i believe used to be our national anthem before the star spangled banner anyway (correct me if i'm wrong)
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he was indeed provided with the wrong music, you can place the blame elsewhere, although I must admit, on the rare occurrences I have been asked to play a National Anthem I have always checked with the people I was playing it for (before the event!) that it was the right one and if there is a specific key that it is expected to be in - this may sound a bit too in-depth, but I have had bad experiences in the past (and heard of many more) - I just like to be certain of things.

I was asked to do an arrangeent of the Russian National Anthem a couple of years ago - there seems to be a very long list of pieces that qualify as this, an older anthem, a newer one, the Soviet anthem and others. Eventually I asked a few people, got some different responses (typical!) so went with the majority. Nobody took offence (as far as I know) but, after the concert, one person did say that we had played the wrong music. However, another said it was the right one - if the audience can't agree, why should we?

I am taking a guess that if one were to play the UK National Anthem (God Save the Queen) at an Australian event it would cause some offence - but this could mainly be due to the rugby last week
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixie is a great tune, written by a yankee, loved by the union president, adopted as a favorite by southerners, and misrepresented by folks i disagree with.

dj
6pk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well anythings better than waltzing bloody matilda
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't there have been a sound check? Seems like it could have been cleared up then. If I had a gig at the Davis cup, I'd insist on at least running through it once with the CD a few minutes before the gig!

Sorry JM, tough break old chap! Good on ya, mate!

[ This Message was edited by: robert_white on 2003-11-30 01:27 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: